Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing stock GT spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:43 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default Removing stock GT spoiler

Can anyone pinpoint me to a tutorial for removing the stock spoiler? I'm looking to remove it tomorrow to get my GT500 spoiler on there. I've heard of using fishing line to "saw" through the adhesive after removing the four bolts. Is there any particular way to do that or does simply sawing through it work fine? I wouldn't want to cut through the clearcoat on accident. What type of fishing line? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Same process as removing the other emblems, you can use floss or fishing line. I wrapped either end around some pencils,made it easier to hold. I'd use 20 or 25lb fishing line.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-question.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...e-removal.html

Don't forget to take off the 4 nuts under the trunk lid
Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
jmanpatsfan
2nd Gear Member

Blowdryer is a must. My fishing line kept ripping so I used a knife.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Oh, you're in for a LOT of fun no doubt . Two bolts accessible under the decklid then you have to wrestle with the double adhesive. I didn't use any fishwire etc. just pulled up gently on the spoiler until it came loose. The adhesive will separate, no doubt anyway.

If I had to do it again, they sell some adhesive dissolver at the local parts store. I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed for 30 minutes getting all of the adhesive off.

I was too scared to mess up the cars finish... and put another coat of wax on once I was done.

Don't worry about messing up the clearcoat.. it take some REALLY abrasive action to do that. You will STRIP the wax off though and just put another coat of wax on when done, but NOT on the area that you adhere the new spoiler to. That area must be WAX FREE for best adhesion.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 01-17-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

i got through it in less than 1/2 an hour by blowdrying a bit for heat, then using some minty floss to help "saw" through the adhesive. the floss worked alot better than i anticipated too. i don't know if you'd wanna goo gone the extra adhesive left from the stock spoiler or not, seeing as you're putting on a new one that will cover it anyway.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 PM
retro_pony
2nd Gear Member

Kind of a good point... Why bother taking off the extra adhesive as long as your new spoiler is going to cover it?!?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:13 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Don't rock the spoiler back and forth as it becomes loser.
It will dent the metal at the edges.

The fishing line can't get between the 2 studs of the spoiler, you'll need a putty knife to finish the job up. So you might as well ditch the fishing line idea and use the putty knife from the get go. It will take about 2 minutes.

Just mask around both bases with two inch tape so you don't scratch the paint while the knife sticks out at the other side.
The Cobra spoiler eventually will hide scratches but if you go back to stock for some reasons, it will show them then.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

I just used the fishing line trick. Worked fine and didn't take that long. I used a braided line and then went back over it with some 3m adhesive remover
Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 PM
jmanpatsfan
2nd Gear Member

Prepare for blisters after removing adhesive.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Atlanta_Tider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Don't rock the spoiler back and forth as it becomes loser.
It will dent the metal at the edges.

The fishing line can't get between the 2 studs of the spoiler, you'll need a putty knife to finish the job up. So you might as well ditch the fishing line idea and use the putty knife from the get go. It will take about 2 minutes.

Just mask around both bases with two inch tape so you don't scratch the paint while the knife sticks out at the other side.
The Cobra spoiler eventually will hide scratches but if you go back to stock for some reasons, it will show them then.
Listen to this man! I got in a hurry on mine and dented the deck lid slighty, I was able to repair it though with my PDR kit. But I did manage to drop the stock spoiler on the decklid when I was removing it and the stud scratched the decklid pretty good! Damn battle scars!

Quick Reply: Removing stock GT spoiler