Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with removing stripped screws from hood

Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default Need help with removing stripped screws from hood

Hey, guys. As you probably know, I removed my factory hood scoop on Sunday to finish removing my racing stripes from my hood. The scoop itself was very diffictul to get off. This is mainly because each of these two stripped screws are being held in place on top of the hood by a spacer and on bottom by a nut. There were four metal screws total before I removed the scoop, with the remainder being made of plastic. Me and my boyfriend tried unscrewing the nuts but the three components spin together. I tried holding the screw with pliers as he used a wrench to try and unbolt the nuts, but that didn't work. I went to the dealership yesterday to get some replacement plastic retainers for the scoop and explained the problem. The guy in the parts department came out to my car with a little tool to grip the spacer while I tried to unscrew the bolt, and that didn't work either. So he suggested a power drill to drill out the screw from the top of the hood. So we tried that today and it didn't work. My bf tried making a little hole at the top of the screw but since all that did was tear the paint off the screw. Obviously we don't want to mess up the hood so he didn't try hammering the screw out. It's getting extremely frustrating. Here are some pictures of the screws that are stuck in the hood:

Has anyone had this happen to them? Can anyone tell me how to resolve this problem? I'm in dire need of your help so please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

someone with a steady hand and a die grinder air tool to grind the head off so it will push down through the hole, put lots of tape around it so if it does run off it will not hit any paint. sucks they are stuck like that.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

It looks like the size of the hole would allow the screw to just fall through if that metal spacer wasn't there... I would try a dremel with a metal cutting blade and just slice the metal spacer & screw right through the center and pull the metal space out from the side and let the rest of the screw fall through.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Is there any way to put a visegrip on the remaining part on the top?
That way, you might be able to turn the nut lose...
Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I would try holding the protruding bolt under the hood, on the tip of it, with vise grips. Put your wrench on the nut and loosen it as far as you can until the vise grip interferes....
Then go to the top of the hood, should be enough slack to push the bolt upward. Grab that with the vise grips, and finish unthreading.....

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by pascal
Is there any way to put a visegrip on the remaining part on the top?
That way, you might be able to turn the nut lose...
Originally Posted by mlcrycc
I would try holding the protruding bolt under the hood, on the tip of it, with vise grips. Put your wrench on the nut and loosen it as far as you can until the vise grip interferes....
Then go to the top of the hood, should be enough slack to push the bolt upward. Grab that with the vise grips, and finish unthreading.....

Good luck.
I agree with what Mike and pascal are saying!....hope it works and why so many screws to hold the hood scoop on? seems overkill to me? Regardless I see the stripes came off and was that difficult?....did you get the PM I sent you? Hope it helped
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Use a dremel. I remember saying your car would look good with the setup you are going for yesterday Victoria but I can't believe it's this much trouble now.... sad face. The warranty guy is a bit of an ******* for not completly fixing the problem as it's clearly a defect and the car is warantied for that.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Alright. Well luckily my bf's brother was here and he was able to take a look at it. He had a special type of pliers he used to grip the metal square while my bf slowly twisted at the screw for awhile... basically what myself and the guy from the Ford parts store tried, only this time it worked. So the hood scoop is back on now, but unfortunately it's not on there as tight as it was. It needs the four metal screws that it had, and only two are on there now. They told me yesterday at the dealership that I didn't need the other two once I got them off, and that the plastic retainers they gave me would suffice. They did not. So it looks like I'll need to try another dealership to track them down and possibly even replacement retainers. We tried AutoZone and a couple other places but came up dry. We also tightened the GT500 spoiler since it needed a couple more washers to get the adhesive all the way down. It's not quite all the way down, but it's much better. I'll wash the car in the morning and take a few pictures. Thanks to everyone for your help over these last few days... it is greatly appreciated.