Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Quick/Easy Questions.....

Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default 2 Quick/Easy Questions.....

1. Alright first question... it seems like guys with Twin Screw/Root Style Superchargers have more Torque then Horsepower but then Centri stly Superchargers have more Horsepower then Torque from what I have commonly seen it looks like Roots usually are about 400HP and 440TQ and alot of Centri guys are running 440HP and 400TQ keep in mind this is just from me looking at peoples sigs here and there.... I have read some supercharger post's and it seems like the answer is there but not in plain english for a newer guy like me.... just wanted to see if this was right... I know that they can be tuned for much more HP/TQ but this just seems to be were people like to be at power wise... I honestly would prefer more Torque seeing as when you are driving your car that's what you feel the most especially in street driving... if that's the case I would have to go with a Twin Screw for sure most likely a Kenne Bell.... or the Edelbrock thats coming out looks pretty damn awesome... but anyway just something I was wondering.

2. K&N Air Filter... I went to Jiffy lube this weekend and told them to give me the best stuff they have which was Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and I have heard it's a good brand so i was like ok. Then he showed me my air filter and I was like OMG it was basically pitch black after only 12k Miles it looked like it was from a 1969 Mustang haha the guy's that were working on my car both had some I think it was 98? Cobra's that they said were pretty built so that was cool he complimented my car for the Front End and said the exhaust sounded great but anyway he said it was probably killing about 8HP because of how bad it was he said to run to auozone and grab the K&N because I guess its like 8HP more then the stock one when it's clean... so if hes right I will feel a difference of 16HP when i put this thing in.... was he an idiot or was he somewhat right? I am getting the K&N Air Filter at lunch just want to know what to look forward too? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I don't believe the 8HP BS, certainly not 16HP. Not for just the filter... maybe with the CAI as well as the filter.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

I have the K&N Drop in and it is def better than the paper ones that come from the factory!! I changed mine out at 5k miles and the paper filter was already looking dirty!!
You will gain like 4 or 5 horses but not 16
Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Alright thats cool. I just went and grabbed it along with some Semi-Gloss Black and Cherry Red Duplicolor and paint Adhesion Promoter for a little project I plan on doing =) I popped the hood and went to put it in and first thing I noticed is it is not nearly as stiff as the stock one... the chicken wire junk on the edge was a little bent but I just straightened it out and popped it in I have heard it makes a cool whistle type noise at WOT so that would be kinda cool.... just gotta wait till 5 =).
Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

hey brano, regarding your first question all I can say is that I love my whipple h/o with the intercooler and its advertised HP is 500 rwhp which is plenty for a stock motor. Easily the best I have ever done on any car, and it comes with a warrantee.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

first mistake, taking car to jiffy lube (I trust the dealer more)
2nd mistake, believing what the people at jiffy lube told you
Old 01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Haha I guess... it did look really bad though... I was like how much HP you think thats robbing he said 8 and with my stupid math in my head I figured that since the K&N is newer and givers 5-8HP more then the stock one when it's clean I assume I added up the numbers but I guess it doesn't work that way haha oh well.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:32 AM
fornessa

I have bone stock 06 GT with 7,500 miles what mods should start with, Oh it has flowmasters out back thats it. SC maybe
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Never take to the quich change places. I'd say at least once or twice a year u will here about how they didn't tighten the filter or something and then the customer had a blown engine. Its an easy job to do urself. Or if u can't take it to a reputable dealer or mechanic
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's been decades since anyone besides me haas changed the oil in any of my cars and I usually am servicing 3 at a time and for awhile, 6 cars.

K&N drop-ins are useless over stock paper filters. Also, drop-in or CAI, the butt dyno difference between dirty and clean is not perceptible unless the dirty one wasn't allowing squat for airflow. Even dirty filters still breath...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 Quick/Easy Questions.....