Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My turn has come. Got her hurt in an accident. Need some opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:46 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Frankly I've never understood why everyone hates insurance so much. It's an industry like any other. They have to make a profit. They have shareholders. The alternative to not having insurance is nuts. I can understand how it seems silly that if I go 20 years with no claims it seems like they got "free" money from me. But what do people expect? Not paying any insurance and having a free car somehow given to them if an idiot hits them with no insurance? Who wants to go to court and sue someone who is pennyless already?

I happily pay my premiums. I don't feel ripped off at all. The peace of mind is worth it.
+1...

I've been driving 13 years and have 1 at fault accident... I turned left infront of another car. I had a green light, not a green arrow (doh!!)

Anyways, it was a rental car and I was out of state (live in TX, driving in NY) and I was out of pocket $0... it was claimed under my property insurance since it was a rental out of state.

If I didn't have insurance (USAA) then I'd have been screwed, I'd have had to pay for two cars...

My wife and I were involved in a hit and run last Thanksgiving (we got hit, he ran). I chased him down and got the LP number. USAA was fantastic during the whole ordeal. I highly recommend them for anyone who is eligible for their services.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:32 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Riptide
Frankly I've never understood why everyone hates insurance so much. It's an industry like any other.
I have a different outlook because I see all the angles...
When it's time to pay up, you then really see the nature of the beast.

Forcing you to put aftermarket parts on your late model car is a rip off, period.
Especially on chrome parts...
And when the aftermarket isn't available, they give you the used stuff (Quality recycled parts). Like on my F150 flare side bed panel...

I just replaced an already made in Taiwan rusted out bumper on a Canyon that was wrecked not even a year ago!! I had to fight with them to give me an OEM one this time.
They wanted to go for the same POS Taiwanese bumper good for 6 months max
The shop is also screwed on that one because most Insurance companies won't pay the shop for the labor the second time around. How is that in anyway fair?

I'm not saying they're all Evil but you sure get the short end of the stick from most of them
USAA is so far above the rest, it's not even funny. And they don't appear to go out of business anytime soon
Old 01-24-2009, 03:24 PM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

Go with statefarm they dont use aftermarket parts.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Because they lost that law suit...

Yeah but you get the used stuff then, which in some cases, might be better if it's not too old.
Factory fit FTW...

Junk yards sure like State Farm
They're an OK company...
Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Sounds like he's at fault... so he'll be making the claim against his own insurance. This might give you some additional money up front (usually 1/4 the cost of repairs) but it will surely cause his premium to go up, potentially significantly.

If someone else was at fault, he'd claim it against their insurance... which obviously would have no effect on his premium.
You are right, my mistake...I totally overlooked that. No need for looking into diminished value .
To the OPer...with my insurance (State Farm) you can take a defensive driving class and reduce your monthly payment for 3 years. When the 3 years are up just take another class.

Last edited by degeze; 01-24-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I like to see a discount for drivers like myself, that never caused a wreck, EVAAARR.
In 30 years of driving too
Until then, they can shove their driving classes up their yang yang!
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

17 years and counting here.

/knocks on wood

Had cars of mine slammed into by others though.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I have to admit, I was just a bad driver in my "younger years" lol. Maybe Progressive dug that up and that's the reason my rates increased. The complete total I had in 2000-2001 was a Z28 that I'd only had 3 months. Was running her FAST and someone slowed quickly in front of me. I did a quick "over the shoulder" check to see if anyone was in the far lane.... saw nothing. Whipped her over and was SLAMMED into with a lot of force on the passenger side. Completely demolished the right side of the car. when we got out and made sure everyone was OK (it's nighttime), the guy that hit me took a twelve pack of beer and tossed it as far as could into some bushes. I didn't say anything to the police when they arrived. I figured if he was intoxicated they would figure it out, if not I wasn't going to squeal on him... after all it was my fault his car was totaled and felt bad for him. My insurance paid.

However he must have either been trying to run/race me or something because I was traveling faster than the speed limit so he had to be traveling that fast or faster to hit me hard.

I drove a 73' firebird beater for about a year then purchased another Z28 (2002 model SS) and took care of it really well. Traded her in on the mustang.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Got my car back. I updated the OP.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Well, if you're happy, we're happy
Glad they treated that car good for you...