Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Radio/CD Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 02:35 PM
PeteLewis67

Default Replacement Radio/CD Suggestions

Looking to rip out the Shaker500 POS system and put in something with some quality, any suggestions?

I don't want a Crutchfield filler plate and leave all that space open, I think it would look pretty ugly, and I would like to keep the 6 CD changer option open without haveing to get into the trunk to change CD's

Any one done anything similar?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Replacement Radio/CD Suggestions

As for the filler plate. Use one from a 04 F150. Fits perfect. Don't remember the part number right off hand, but if you look through my thread on the "skipper 1000" I listed the part number in that thread along with pictures of how it fits.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

I highly recommend Alpine, go to any car audio forum and they will tell you the same followed by Kenwood.
You can find some good deals on ebay.

Get one that plays MP3's, you can get 175 or so on one cd and may not even need the changer.

Getting an aftermarket head unit to work with the factory changer may be impossible anyway.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mrbmp

Getting an aftermarket head unit to work with the factory changer may be impossible anyway.
Especially since the changer is built in to the shaker head unit

My Kenwood DDX7015 will play MP3 encoded files from a DVD. So I blew off the idea of a changer or the Kenwood Music Keg. Can do 4.7gig MP3 discs right in the head unit.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:19 PM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

Hawgman,
Does 1800 sound about right for the KNA-DV4100/ DDX-7015 nav unit and monitor from ebay?
Is that about all that is needed besides cables, wiring harness and f-150 filler plate?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

$1800 sounds a bit high. Shop around a little. I paid $800 for my DDX, and have seen the NAV4100s go for as little as $550. Although that $550 price is a little hard to find sometimes. More around $650-ish. You could also consider the NAV3100 as an alternative. I have yet to find anyone ( including Kenwood ) who can tell me the difference between the two except the 3100 is a year model older. I know that there is probably something else, but no one has pointed it out yet.
But to finish answering your question, if you want DVD, MP3, WMA, Radio, and GPS Navigation, yes, those are the two pieces you would need.

I have seen quite a few other accessories for that head unit also. Sirius radio which I got for mine ( controls built in to the DDX ), TV tuner, Weather Band adaptor ( including on screen temp readout ), Traffic band adaptor, tons of little gadgets that we probably don't need in the first place.

If/when you get the DDX let me know. If you are interested in being able to play DVD movies in it while the car is moving and can't figure it out, I can hook ya up. Hint....it involves grounding a certain green wire that supposed to hook to the park brake switch ( on a manual ) or park switch ( on an auto ).

I love mine. Especially with the auto sensing inputs ( like the video in ). Tons of possibilities for stuff with it.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:14 PM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

Thanks, I'll keep looking.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Look for two. I still need to put the navigation system on mine
Old 06-07-2005, 08:13 PM
KandyMan
2nd Gear Member

i love pioneer head units....sooo much more user friendly than alpine.....but i absolutely adore alpine speakers and amps...i had type "r" speakers all through my cavy....frikken awesome...if i had the money i woulda dont type "x" subs...but they were just coming out when i did my system....

so like i said pioneer hu and alpine amps and subs and speakers

Old 06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
aggiealli07

does anyone know if the navigation system from a 2006 explorer will fit in a 2006 mustang? and if so, is it really difficult to get it up and running?

Quick Reply: Replacement Radio/CD Suggestions