Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbon fiber hood turning yellow

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by eric6913
nice input. i'm sure you have the same shaker hood and bullitt wheels like every other mustang out there!
Now you just messed my day all up!!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM
eric6913
2nd Gear Member

Wink

Originally Posted by pascal
Now you just messed my day all up!!
you know me and what i am about frenchie. dont take it to heart.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'm with you Eric

We cool.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Well i have to say definitely to each his own and i happen to like the carbon fiber specially with black since it kind of blends in until it hits a different angle. I would not want 1eyed ***** or rubrignitz hood's in anything b ut what they have lol i think they look awesome.

eric- yeah this is the IPP hood and it did come clear coated, but when i park for work, my car has to sit outside in the sun allllll day long and it took a toll. i should have been smart and got a car cover and stick it on (which is what i will do from now on.)

So, i will have to wet sand it and re-clear coat it? Is there any particular type of clearcoat of gelcoat whatever that will work the best?

Eric here are the pictures
Attached Images    

Last edited by bolivianpimp; 01-25-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:06 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp

eric- yeah this is the IPP hood and it did come clear coated, but when i park for work, my car has to sit outside in the sun allllll day long and it took a toll. i should have been smart and got a car cover and stick it on (which is what i will do from now on.)
I can guaranty you that they didn't put a lot of clear on your hood or it would not have faded so quick.
I'm also pretty sure that they don't use the top of the line brand...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

that sucks bro, if i had a cf hood, i would def. get atleast 3 clear coats on it, they fade so bad in the sun
Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I can guaranty you that they didn't put a lot of clear on your hood or it would not have faded so quick.
I'm also pretty sure that they don't use the top of the line brand...
Yeah they must not have used a lot. I am going to get a new replacement one because it started to crack slightly where the hood latch is located (from not having hood pins and flapping on highway), but to save shipping costs i will wait until the manufacturer comes to houston for 1 of the car shows here. This could take a couple of months and i do not like the yellowish tint!! llol. When i get the new one, how many coats and what kind is the best to use to prevent this? What could i do to temporarily fix this one?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Dupont, PPG, Glasurit... to name a few.
3 coats of clear would be a minimum...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:54 PM
eric6913
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Well i have to say definitely to each his own and i happen to like the carbon fiber specially with black since it kind of blends in until it hits a different angle. I would not want 1eyed ***** or rubrignitz hood's in anything b ut what they have lol i think they look awesome.

So, i will have to wet sand it and re-clear coat it? Is there any particular type of clearcoat of gelcoat whatever that will work the best?

Eric here are the pictures
that sucks. i hope Jack with IPP takes care of you. as far as a solution, i can only say a garage and a UV car cover will do. i live in the desert also and my car sits out all day long also. my Seibon hood has done well, but after one year it is also starting to show the same signs of wear. The CEO of Seibon inspected my hood and said quote," all exposed carbon fiber components should be sanded and re-cleared once a year" end quote. when i purchase my IPP hood soon i will take my experience and necessary precautions to prolong the life of the carbon. p.s. e-mail me larger pics please. you have my e-mail.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

If you start putting a lot of clear coats on it you will start to add weight to it and that is what carbon is for . Isn't a cf hood only about 12 lbs lighter than a stock aluminum one.
Ill take your hood yellow and all off your hands if you get tired of looking at it. Ill sand it down and put one coat of satin clear coat on and call it good .

Quick Reply: carbon fiber hood turning yellow