Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmmmm....GT's not so bad in the snow...im surprised.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

The TCS is so good that I have actually TRIED to mess it up a few times by flooring the car in the snow. It slips for a second then cuts fuel off and straightens out :P The only times I have ever lost control in this car has always been when turning and it was in the rain.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
I tossed two 60 pound "tube o' sand" in the trunk and that made a world of difference. Dropped the rears to 28ish PSI and even better.
Not a good idea to lower tire pressure in the snow. Lower tire pressure gives a wider contact patch and causes the bottom of the tire to cup. That makes hydroplaning much easier. Lowering the tire pressure gives you less Pounds per square inch of pressure on the road if that makes any sense to you. The wider tire distributes the weight of the car over a wider area. With a skinny tire, each square inch of the tire's contact patch is pushing more of the cars weight against the ground than if you were using a wider tire. Skinny tires work best in the snow because they can cut through the snow rather than float over it like with wide tires.

I hope that made sense

Last edited by Silver Vert 06; 01-28-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:44 AM
TheMadScientist

Coming from an Sti with snow tires, I was very surprised at how well the GT did in the snow on the stock rubber. I grew up driving RWD no ABS or TCS so having those now make RWD in the snow seem easy.

Last edited by TheMadScientist; 01-28-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i was in my truck yesterday and followed a roush stage 2 up a hill. he was going about 5 mph

Last edited by 5SPD07GT; 01-28-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 AM
michaellefebvre

I guess I've spent too many years driving rear wheelers in winter. I can't stand the TCS and have to turn it off, especially in deep snow.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

glad to hear everything went well
Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I too was driving in snow to work and back. The roads were not plowed so I ended up testing out the mustang in the snow. It didn't do that bad to be honest. I was able to drive and stop when needed for the most part. I did have trouble on the hill coming to my house. I lose momentum coming up the hill and had a hard time making it all the way to the top, but I eventually did. Won't have to worry about it today, they closed the base.....YEAH!!!!! don't have to work today!!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I didn't drive today - too worried about hills in the area where I work. My last mustang I had was stuck for nearly 2 hours going on a hill. So my wife drove and she used her corolla :P lol
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

No real problems in an inch or two of snow with a thin crust of ice on top this morning, as long as I behaved myself with the throttle/brakes/steering. Did a couple of donuts in a neighborhood paved parking lot to find out what I might be in for, and took my time driving in. Had more difficulty walking to the office door than I did driving. You just have to be patient and make only smooth movements with your pedals and steering wheel.

I, too, turned off the traction control. Or at least I hit the button to do so.

Actually, it didn't seem to make any difference whether it was "ON" or "OFF" - I could spin both rear tires just as easily either way, so perhaps my FRPP tune has shut it off?

If that's the case, I'm not at all unhappy. Relying on traction control has the potential of getting you into trouble if it can get you going faster than the conditions will let you stop or steer. I never had TC on any car before, and my personal opinion is that if you find yourself having trouble getting the car moving, that's trying to tell you something about your ability to stop and steer. Best to listen to that sort of message, not have it filtered out.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-28-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

so a guy on our local mustang site posted a picture of a mustang with chains on the front tires only

Quick Reply: Hmmmmm....GT's not so bad in the snow...im surprised.