Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 Hood Pins? Hood Floating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
BIGDEEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jbt21479
Good info guys! I work with Dave (bigdeez) and ordered the pins as well. Cant stand the floating.

Wolf, your car looks killer!
HHHIII Bret!!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by jbt21479
Good info guys! I work with Dave (bigdeez) and ordered the pins as well. Cant stand the floating.

Wolf, your car looks killer!
Where and how much were the hood pins you ordered? Are they the Shelby style? I would ideally prefer the twist lock only because I am not crazy about the wire....
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

how do you adjust the hood stops? i know i am new to tryin to work on my stang. lol
Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Ok, lots of questions here to answer. @ the two friends who just picked up your hood pins: "If" you got the same type I did which are the Shelby ones you will see that the set comes with a brackit. You can use this brackit to locate your hood pins pretty much where every you want. The place I put mine should work with a stock hood too.

Here is what you do: 1. Open your hood and look at the hood stop that is located over the headlight and right beside it your going to see a hole. This hole is the same size as your hood pins.

2. Place your hood pins in those holes and slowly closed the hood down so you can see where they are going to come threw on the hood. This will give you a good idea if your going to like that spot or not.

3. If that's where you want them at you can take some "white out or something simular and mark the top of the hood pin. (You can use anything that will transfure a mark to the under side of the hood) once you have the top marked, again close the hood down till it makes contact with the hood pins and they will mark the spot that you will need to drill threw.

4. You will have to remove your bumper cover and head light to gain access to the other end of that hole. You need to do this for 2 reasons, 1. So you can put the lower nut on. and 2. So you can cut that lower hole larger so you can get your fingers or wrench in it for the lower nut. Just use a hole saw to cut it larger.

5. Now your ready to drill/cut the holes in your hood (this is the big time, scare the crap out of you, run around screaming and crying like a little girl step) You will need a hole saw thats larger than your hood pins ( you need play around the hood pins to allow for the hood to close since its coming down at an angle and your pins are strate up and down) don't worry your not going to see that big hole in your hood those really nice billet shelby pin holders will cover them up. Once you cut the holes or have someone else cut them for you if you chicken out (like me, I could not trust myself to cut them right and I could not bring myself to put a hole in my new custom hood. It was bad eought holding it wail they cut it and I closed my eyes and prayed!) After you get the holes done test close and open the hood to make sure the pins fit fine.

6. Center those pin holder parts over the hole with the gaskit (with the hood closed) once you have them where you want them mark the holes and drill very small holes for the 4 screws to go into. Now screw them down but DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM! Just get them snug over tighting them will strip them or put puckers in your hood.

7. Test close and open the hood again and if you have any issues with the pins coming threw the holes smooth as possible you can bend the pins back or forward to make them work better. (the metal that the pins are mount to will flex to let you adjust the angle of the pins. Just push or pull on the pins to adjust them for the best fit).

8. To finsh up you will need to adjust the hight of your pins up or down so you have just room to slide the pin with the cable on it into that hole in your hood pin. This step takes a little bit of time since you have to keep opening up your hood and adjusting it to get it right.

9. Crack open a couple of cold ones and enjoy your new hood pins!!

TIP: Before you cut the holes in the hood, put tape on the hood where the saw/drill is going to come threw the top of the hood at. This will help the paint stay put. Just take your time and let the saw do the work.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 02-03-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
how do you adjust the hood stops? i know i am new to tryin to work on my stang. lol
Open your hood and your going to see "4" rubber hood stops, 2 are located where the radator cover is and the other 2 are over the headlights. Just grab a hold of them and you can twist them up and down. You have to adjust them until they are applying even pressure on all 4. Just keep opening and closeing your hood until you don't have any play in the hood and the hood is level all the way around. Your hood should also close harder than it has before.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 02-03-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
Where and how much were the hood pins you ordered? Are they the Shelby style? I would ideally prefer the twist lock only because I am not crazy about the wire....
Retire USAF myself The twist type I think can be got at Trufiber but, With out recessed holes in your hood for them to go down into it mite not be what you want but its a place to start at.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
BIGDEEZ
1st Gear Member

they aren't the shelby or the twist. they are Ford pins and we paid $22
Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BIGDEEZ
they aren't the shelby or the twist. they are Ford pins and we paid $22
Got a picture of them?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
jbt21479

Part number M-16700-A
You can find them all over for around $35+ but found this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
jbt21479

Wolf, great info. Glad you added in the part about the tape on the paint. I was just about to add that when I noticed you put it at the bottom. Great advice on cracking a few cold ones too!!!

Quick Reply: S197 Hood Pins? Hood Floating?