Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 Hood Pins? Hood Floating?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM
BIGDEEZ
1st Gear Member

Default S197 Hood Pins? Hood Floating?

I have a set that should be here this week. Now my question is I have seen some pics where people put them what looks like to me to far to the center and it just doesn't look right IMO. I have a stock hood but I'm will be putting my Shelby front fascia in the next month.

Does anyone have any write ups on the hood pins and pics of your cars would be great if you have them. Even more so if you have the Shelby fasica with stock hood with pins in redfire... lol

Does the hood pins get rid of the hood floating?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BIGDEEZ
I have a set that should be here this week. Now my question is I have seen some pics where people put them what looks like to me to far to the center and it just doesn't look right IMO. I have a stock hood but I'm will be putting my Shelby front fascia in the next month.

Does anyone have any write ups on the hood pins and pics of your cars would be great if you have them. Even more so if you have the Shelby fasica with stock hood with pins in redfire... lol

Does the hood pins get rid of the hood floating?
So if I'm following you right you are going to do a GT500 front end conversion right? And on your "floating" question, yes they will but, if you just adjust the "4" rubber hood stops up or down so the hood makes even contact with all 4 and the hood closes tite your hood floating will stop.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

What he said on the stoppers. I got a new hood on my car the other day and it flaps up and down like a flag. I've been adjusting those stoppers and slowly but surely its working.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
What he said on the stoppers. I got a new hood on my car the other day and it flaps up and down like a flag. I've been adjusting those stoppers and slowly but surely its working.
Ya, it just takes time to dial them in right.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
BIGDEEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
So if I'm following you right you are going to do a GT500 front end conversion right? And on your "floating" question, yes they will but, if you just adjust the "4" rubber hood stops up or down so the hood makes even contact with all 4 and the hood closes tite your hood floating will stop.
I am going with the conversion I have a few more parts to track down.

And I have messed with those things 100 times (rubber stops) and can't get that hood to stop float. anything over 100+ and it looks like it's going to open up. So your saying the pins will help out some.

Thanks for you input wolf. Car looks great by the way.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
BIGDEEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
hhhmmm... well maybe I need to just keep messing with them. so going as tight as you can get the hood on them may not be the best way hu?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I am going with the conversion I have a few more parts to track down.

And I have messed with those things 100 times (rubber stops) and can't get that hood to stop float. anything over 100+ and it looks like it's going to open up. So your saying the pins will help out some.

Thanks for you input wolf. Car looks great by the way.
Yes, the pins will help alot and congrats on the conversion! I'll see if I can track down the pics of where to place your hood pins at. Question, do you like where mine are at? If so I can tell you how to mount them.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

hhhmmm... well maybe I need to just keep messing with them. so going as tight as you can get the hood on them may not be the best way hu?
The deal on them is like this, "tight is not always the fix" I know it sounds funny but not all your stops will be at the same height. To beat the problem you have to adjust them in such away to apply an equal pressure across the hood. And your hood must remain level all the way around too. It's just very time consuming but once you get them dialed in your good to go.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
BIGDEEZ
1st Gear Member

Yes, the pins will help alot and congrats on the conversion! I'll see if I can track down the pics of where to place your hood pins at. Question, do you like where mine are at? If so I can tell you how to mount them.
I do like where they are on your hood I don't know if that is going to work/look as good on a stock hood. I just don't like it when they are to far center.. you know.

The deal on them is like this, "tight is not always the fix" I know it sounds funny but not all your stops will be at the same height. To beat the problem you have to adjust them in such away to apply an equal pressure across the hood. And your hood must remain level all the way around too. It's just very time consuming but once you get them dialed in your good to go.

Right on... I'll give that a shot. Thanks for all your help again wolf. let me know if you run across any info on hood pins install.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
jbt21479

Good info guys! I work with Dave (bigdeez) and ordered the pins as well. Cant stand the floating.

Wolf, your car looks killer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S197 Hood Pins? Hood Floating?