Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R Coilover Kit

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philostang
Hey,

I know these days we are all cost conscious consumers, but don't forget the old adage "You get what you pay for." Well in dealing with Sam, you get FAR more than you pay for.

I got my Koni/Vogtland set up from him w/Steeda plates, etc., and frankly at the time I could have probably spec'd out the same set up from a vendor with a sale here, sale there for a maybe $100 less. The money saved would have been a poor trade-off for the customer service Sam provides...and continues to provide. He won't try to sell you stuff he honestly thinks you don't need (or even MIGHT not need), and he'll offer you as much information as you can handle to make an informed choice about what step to take next with virtually any aspect of your goals. Hell, just the other day Sam and I talked about proper grip and seating position for high performance driving. Think you're going to get that from just anyone?

FWIW, I love my Koni/Vogtland set up. And yes, I took Sam's advice on alignment settings, damper settings, and a tuning plan to dial it all in. We're taking the next step now, and I'm sure I'll be coming back to him for more advice. Like I said, with Sam you get far more than you pay for.

Best,
-j
You really couldn't of said it any better.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I have the H&Rs same kit was originally going with the next level up but was advised after I ordered that this was not very street friendly. The kit for $1099 is the correct one and although I havent taken it out on the track yet I am sure from the seat of the pants feeling my cornering speed is going to be 100 times better than stock. The ride height adjustment is nice but for me it is the handling. But again coilovers do require, well if you want them to perfom to full potential additional set up noted in previous posts. I will be getting that done at a local race shop..Corner weighting cost $500... Ouch! Ah and alignment.. But hey thats the price of going racing. In the end for a car that is driven mostly on the street there are probaby better choices or just buy the H&Rs slap them in, adjust the ride height and be happy.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I haven't gone off half-cocked yet. I was getting a bit excited the other night. However, if I want something and wait TOO long to pull the trigger sometimes the trigger never gets pulled so to speak lol.

I've been trying to contact Strano today and getting their answering machine. I still have to reconsider coilovers vs. shocks/spring but really want to go coilover. I know there will be a time when I think my car is either lowered too much or not enough. The H&R's are priced right and I've really had my eye on them.

I'm going to do a lot more research this weekend and place an order next week.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I had to come back and resurrect this thread to say.... I eventually went with Tokico D-specs, Steeda Comp springs and Steeda HD upper strut mounts, along with a UMI adj panhard (which I've yet to receive two weeks later) via Sam Strano.

The Steeda comp springs made my car 1/2'' higher in the front than rear, apparently due to the inclusion of the stock upper front upper spring mount which is slightly higher on the 07-up than the 05/06's. This is one of the parts that is swapped from the stock assy (along with the bumpstops and dust covers) from the old struts.

Now I've purchased some H&R Race springs from another member and am about to go down to install them.

In the end, if I would have just purchased the H&R coilovers I wouldn't be going through all of this....not that I don't love working on the car but with the adjustablility of coilovers it would have been much easier.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Good to know.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Here's another update.... just did the front springs (I'm getting pretty good at dismantling the front end of this car). Added the H&R race front springs and still have the Steeda competition rear springs.

The rear is sitting at 27 7/8'' and the front is at 27 1/2''. Perfect stance!

I had a sneaky feeling the H&R fronts would be perfect with the steeda rears. I think the H&R fronts are the same spring rate as the steeda's but dropped the front down perfectly.

I hate to mix and match springs but may have to ride on them a day or two to feel it out before swapping in the H&R rears.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I'm getting the KW Variant 3 coil-overs shortly. I have a friend with corner weights who is going to teach me how to do it and be there to help me out. I'm really excited to get to play around with them. I've also been doing some light reading lately about how different setting parameters affect handling characteristics. Since I'm in College Station (roads here SUCK), I'll probably set them up on their highest setting, which is a 1.2/1.4 drop.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Rodeoflyer... who just sold me the H&R races.. which I may add at a stellar price of $100 (thanks rdflyer!!!) has converted to coilovers. The ones you specified KW variant 3's. I'll probably eventually go to those as well.

I don't see someone (like me) with a need to continually play with his suspension setup settling on a specific damper/spring setup. Even though I'm no expert I know what "feels" right. I've owned many, many sports cars over my lifetime and knew as soon as I set my posterior in the S197 that I hated the suspension.

I understand the need for travel and respect that but the S197 has it in spades. I'd like a nice stance, travel, and ride quality. Not much to ask with the S197 I think. I've experienced what you would call a "punishing" ride and this car hasn't come close... yet .
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Actually, RodeoFlyer just had his coil-overs taken off in favor of Agent 47's SLA front setup. He's taking it back shortly to get the rear switched to their true rear coil-over kit as well because the V3's just use a double adjustable damper and seperate adjustable spring in the stock location out back instead of true coil-overs. Funny you mentioned him, his KW V3's are the ones I'm buying, lol. He told me he just sold his H&R Race Springs to a fellow MF'er, looks like I found you, lol.