Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Mustang GT vs. 2010 Dodge Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i want a challenger but next to my stang too
Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 AM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
The Challenger R/T has a hp/weight advantage over the GT. Some people have gone down into the low 13s with them stock in the 1/4.
I don't believe that without proof. And the R/T may have the hp/weight advantage but there are many factors that play into the GT having faster times. The GT might have a tighter suspension. It has a solid rear axle. Both would help the car launch better. It's not like the GT is a ton faster, but it is faster, at least in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. This is assuming both cars had drivers of equal skill.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I guess I shouldn't believe some of the times people have claimed to run around here either without "proof". For instance low 13s in a stock GT. Because there are claims.

I guess some of you just refuse to believe without being there first hand yourselves and examining the car with a fine tooth comb.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I guess I shouldn't believe some of the times people have claimed to run around here either without "proof". For instance low 13s in a stock GT. Because there are claims.

I guess some of you just refuse to believe without being there first hand yourselves and examining the car with a fine tooth comb.
I guess I'll believe it when one of them hands me my *** at the track or on the street. Until then, don't count on me losing sleep over it.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

They are much rarer cars than the Mustang. May be a while. If Chrysler even stays in business that is.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:05 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jakers204
Mustang newbie here. Just got a 94 GT, and after owning about ten cars, I am truly in love my ride. My jaw dropped when I first seen a Challenger on the road. Had to take one for a test drive. They only had the base model on the lot, and I thought it was ok, but the price is a little to high for me. Plus they got the gas guzzler tax on it. Cant picture paying extra taxes for a car because of MPG. Anyone know if the newer mustangs have that tax?

The GT500 has the guzzler tax. I think that tax is so lame.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

They are much rarer cars than the Mustang. May be a while. If Chrysler even stays in business that is.
I dunno, I had a base model Challenger on the side of me trying to race a few weeks back. I declined, out of respect for his good lookin ride.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 AM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I dunno, I had a base model Challenger on the side of me trying to race a few weeks back. I declined, out of respect for his good lookin ride.
HA! He sure was out of his league. Lucky for him, you declined.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 PM
neverUmind

The Challenger R/T has a hp/weight advantage over the GT. Some people have gone down into the low 13s with them stock in the 1/4.
Originally Posted by 99RedStang
I don't believe that without proof. And the R/T may have the hp/weight advantage but there are many factors that play into the GT having faster times. The GT might have a tighter suspension. It has a solid rear axle. Both would help the car launch better. It's not like the GT is a ton faster, but it is faster, at least in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. This is assuming both cars had drivers of equal skill.
Intruder Alert: I'm a Challenger R/T owner and came across this thread and wanted to compliment most of you Mustang owners on your well reasoned and fair comparisons of the Mustang vs Challenger.

I just wanted to post a few comments and run along.

1. Speed. The best 1/4 mile time that I've seen for a completely stock R/T is 13.4 seconds (proof and time slip available on the web). People are also recording 0-60 in under 5 seconds. If you think we're doing mid-14's, we're kewl with that just don't go betting your 401k on it. And certainly don't forget about people modding it. With two of the simplest and most common mods, a CAI and an exhaust, the Challenger picks up 30-40hp.

2. "Extra Big *** Car." Ok, we win this hands down.

3. Ride. Ok, we win this too. Remember, Chrysler was owned by Mercedes. The Challenger R/T got the Mercedes touring suspension, and you can tell. The STR8 got a tighter suspension.

::: poof :::
Old 04-01-2009, 01:28 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by neverUmind
1. Speed. The best 1/4 mile time that I've seen for a completely stock R/T is 13.4 seconds (proof and time slip available on the web). People are also recording 0-60 in under 5 seconds. If you think we're doing mid-14's, we're kewl with that just don't go betting your 401k on it. And certainly don't forget about people modding it. With two of the simplest and most common mods, a CAI and an exhaust, the Challenger picks up 30-40hp.
The 13.4 is not surprising to me but I bet those were some really really nice conditions and track prep... just like some people who have ran a 13.2-13.3 in a stock 5-speed GT.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mustang GT vs. 2010 Dodge Challenger