Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In negotiations for used 428R...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

im at alberta canada, Edmonton to be specific,
Im a retired Paramedic of 6 years of active duty turned HD mechanic apprentice.
Sorry i didnt know things went that way that bad down south.... really not much has changed here at all if anything
Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Don't take a trade-in, man. See what you can get for yours and then talk them down on the 428R. The more cash you have in hand when you come calling, the lower they'll go.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

if there not movin any cars then i say you have the edge, they are nuts for what they are tryin to do to you
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Just like you said it takes a special kind of mustang enthusiast to buy your car, it takes a special one to pay the high price for the 428R.

Your best option is to sell your car, which will go faster than the 428R as it is half the price and then walk in there with some real bargaining power.

Remember, they are low balling you because it costs them money to keep a used car on thier lot, and if your car sits for months they lose $$$. You walk in their with cash in hand, you have more leverage because they sell a car, open up a spot on their lot and then earn more money by moving a new car off the lot.

Dealers get paid by making a profit on the sale of the vehicle, selling a certain number of a specific model per month and selling a certain number of vehicles per month. You buying a used car by trading in a used car causes them to lose out on a lot.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

AGREED that i think is the best way to go. as said before if you got people who want the car and you want something else... sell it for best buck and bring cash....
money talks and BS walks..
i bet if you come with 20k in cash they woul be very willing to make deal
Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

My local dealer has at least 10 brand new 08 427R's that he's been sitting on for well over a year and they aren't moving. Be careful when you start buying more expensive cars than you're used to. Most people can handle losing a few grand here and there on a car but when you start buying expensive cars to begin with the loss is MUCH greater than you might expect. I was going to buy an Audi R8 last summer for $130k. Then I learned that the projected depreciation over five years would be around 60k . So I bought a C6 Z06 instead and have lost a great deal already on that. Having a passion for expensive cars is quite a curse. It's a game that you can never win.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

This is a used car, though, so the biggest depreciation kick in the nuts has already passed through the previous owner. This car starts at over $50K new and he'll probably be able to get it for just over $30K.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 AM
flg2010
1st Gear Member

Some hard but true facts:

1. All cars depreciate, american muscle depreciates faster then german performance for example. A 4 year old mustang is a 4 year old mustang and it will be worth less then a 1 year old or a new mustang.

2. Modding a mustang will not increase its resale, there are just too many S197s out there. You are best off just taking the mods out puttign stock parts back in and trading it like that. You can sell the parts for a bit.

3. Your better off paying your car off, saving some cash and putting down a bunch of money and trading your un-modded '05. Save up 10k, trade your mustang for 15k, and take a loan for 9k, make it a 2 year or 3 year so that next time you want to buy you have a nice trade-in value.

4. That roush will cost 2 times as much as a GT to insure.

I have owned 2 mustangs in my life, the first one was a '98 cobra which I bought new as a "leftover that didn't sell" in '99. I think I paid low 30s, it was a very good deal at the time. I drove the car as a daily driver for 5 years and traded it in with 60kish miles, I got a trade-in of about 10k for the car, it needed new tires, and a new transmission.

In about a year to 2 years I plan to buy a 2010 GT coupe loaded, most likely it will cost me around 31k (after I talk them down). More then likely I'll manage to get about half of what my '08 GT vert cost as a trade in, I'll need to come upwith 13k in cash.

My other point: I'll never keep a car more then 3 years again since getting 4 - 5k more in trade in is a great thing. I'll also never buy a car I can't pay off in 3 years.

Anyways good luck. Hope it works out.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

thanks for all of your help fellas....sometimes we just needs a few second opinions to get us back on the right path...

local 3538 though lol...

well i put a for sale sign on it today didnt put a price on it though just the year, miles, and my number....we'll see how that goes as the days pass....

as far as insurance companies, a roush mustang will just pull up as a mustang gt since all roushes are base model gt's before they go to michigan for modification...

ill see if i can get enough for teh care to where ill pay it off and have 5k in hand for at least a little bit of bargaining power....

that dealer is hurting though so we'll see how its goes...

oh yeah, almost forgot, the 428 has stock gt brakes and the regular roushcharger....
Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Stock brakes in the 428R? wtf? I thought they upgraded the brakes on every car that was a Stage 2 or up...

Quick Reply: In negotiations for used 428R...advice?