Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
ab
2nd Gear Member

I've loved Mustangs since my first ride in my grandfather's '65 coupe when I was a little kid, matter of fact he purchased it the day before I was born 43 years ago.
I wanted to get 5.0 in the mid 80's but could not not swing the payment (seems funny now that I think of it the car was around $12,000, so I bought a Shelby Charger instead $9800 still have that one) After that I drove pickups for 20 years being in the trades.

So anyway I got out of the trades a couple of years ago and really did not need to haul tools and such anymore. I was thinking of getting a classic Mustang for a while looked at a few but never found exactly the right one.

On 10/25/07 I came home from work grbbed my wife, didn't say where we were going pulled into the dealer and showed her what WE just bought. The look on her face was priceless.

I love my Mustang everybody loves Mustangs. That's why! O and I do get wood every time I mash the gas pedal.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
...Does anybody remember the high beam lights control on the upper left of the floorboard?
SHHHHHH! Our age is showing!

I remember the far-left floorboard foot switch for the high beams. When the american auto industry first defaulted to the stalk mounted high beam switch to match the foreign car design I thought "Man, that's f**ked up!"
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
SHHHHHH! Our age is showing!

I remember the far-left floorboard foot switch for the high beams. When the american auto industry first defaulted to the stalk mounted high beam switch to match the foreign car design I thought "Man, that's f**ked up!"
I just asked my friend about this and he remembers this, but me being 25 - nope :P
Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
DM797
1st Gear Member

I'm 26. My father gave me the bug. Over the years my parents had a few stangs come and go. As I got to driving age my parents refused to get a mustang for fear of me killing myself. (not that you can't in another car, you know parents.)

When I graduated university and made my first few bucks. I went out an bought my own because 1) I just love the car 2) gotta stick it to my parents

My bet is I'll be buying a mustang a few times more....
Old 02-17-2009, 04:41 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I can relate, I just turned 41 !!! In the 80's we had musclecars, but they were pretty much used up old "hot rods" that on one but us kids still wanted, and they could be had for cheap! My first car was a '72 'Cuda which I paid 1,400 bucks for. (The "rich kids" all drove around in IROC's, or Vettes, or Trans Am GTA's, and throw in a GT or a 5.0 LX once in awhile.) If you dare drove in an import, you were most likely a nerd and was a candidate for an *** kicking ( or a wedgie! LOL). All the gearhead/rockers had the muscle cars, and not stock at all,that was not cool! ( Imagine those OEM parts that were winged in the garbage, ouch!) The cars were usually primer coated, Cragar s/s's w/ Gabriel hijackers, and cherry bomb mufflers etc...good ol' days...( I remember a buddy of mine in 1986 picked up a stock white '68 fastback 289 hi po w/ a 4 speed, blue interior, for like 800 bucks...a little rusty in the qurters, but it ran great, wonder whatever happened to that car)

Anway, I got an '06 GT because its like an old/new car, like having an old musclecar with new technology, and no issues ( or rust!) Its cool, I was just born during the musclecar craze, when you could buy those old cars off the showroom, so I felt jipped, but now it can be relived to an extent with the new retro cars, and the Mustang is the best ( and my first Mustang!)

Last edited by JimsGT; 02-17-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

I guess I'm another tally for the young guns.

I bought my Stang August of 2008 at age 21. I'm 22 now, and as Nuke described, "It's been true love ever since."

Owning Mustangs is something that sort of runs in the family. My paternal grandfather (whom I never got to meet) owned a gold '69 hardtop. He loved it, and passed that love of Mustangs onto his children (my dad and his 3 brothers and sister). From when I was very young, my father would point out Mustangs on the road, and I soon became enamored. I could very easily recognize the '94 model year and onward, as well as freak out when I saw a '65-'70. That classic styling stuck with me for some reason... The son of a family friend bought a used GT around 2003, and the roar of that thing was intense. I was very jealous, but at 16 years old, I was just waiting on my opportunity to learn how to drive... A few years earlier, my cousin, son of my dad's sister, had bought a beautiful royal blue '01 Cobra. He loved that car, and I could see how much it meant to him by the gleam in his eyes when he talked about it. I was able to share in his first track experience this past July as well. Unfortunately, with my cousin now engaged, the time came to sell the car for something more family-oriented. This all happened just a few months ago.

I was not a huge fan when the New Edge style came out in the late 90's (now I sure as hell am!), but when I first saw that "500 hp is Bold" commercial for the new GT500's, I knew that I was to have one of these S197's. Until last spring, the thought of a new car hadn't entered my mind until I realized that brand new 2008's could be had for less than $30K. It turns out I bought mine loaded for just over $25K new with <50 dealer miles. I can't believe I'm sitting here now reliving my long-time passion for Mustangs as an OWNER. It's incredible, and I'm ecstatic to be learning so much about the car I've so long adored, as well as meet some awesome people along the way.

There's just a certain mentality that comes with being a Mustang enthusiast. Driving a car with a bit of power to it requires a good deal of responsibility. A Mustang is not just a vehicle that gets you from "point A" to " point B." There's a driving experience inherent in these cars that is conducive to actually savoring and enjoying the ride. When I'm driving my Mustang, I don't get annoyed when I come up to miles of log-jammed traffic... It's just another opportunity to spend more time in my car. Still, most people see me on the street and give me a look like "Oh there's some damn young kid with an obnoxiously loud, metal death machine," but I have the respect and discipline befitting of the title of "enthusiast." Anyone who sees me driving around after one of my patented 5-hour detailing sessions would agree. It's a bona fide passion in my life now, and I'm so completely happy that I seized the opportunity at this point in my life. The economy and my financial future be damned... All I need is a sweet, sweet ride.

Last edited by East87; 02-17-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
flg2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
I can relate, I just turned 41 !!! In the 80's we had musclecars, but they were pretty much used up old "hot rods" that on one but us kids still wanted, and they could be had for cheap! My first car was a '72 'Cuda which I paid 1,400 bucks for. (The "rich kids" all drove around in IROC's, or Vettes, or Trans Am GTA's, and throw in a GT or a 5.0 LX once in awhile.) If you dare drove in an import, you were most likely a nerd and was a candidate for an *** kicking ( or a wedgie! LOL). All the gearhead/rockers had the muscle cars, and not stock at all,that was not cool! ( Imagine those OEM parts that were winged in the garbage, ouch!) The cars were usually primer coated, Cragar s/s's w/ Gabriel hijackers, and cherry bomb mufflers etc...good ol' days...( I remember a buddy of mine in 1986 picked up a stock white '68 fastback 289 hi po w/ a 4 speed, blue interior, for like 800 bucks...a little rusty in the qurters, but it ran great, wonder whatever happened to that car)

Anway, I got an '06 GT because its like an old/new car, like having an old musclecar with new technology, and no issues ( or rust!) Its cool, I was just born during the musclecar craze, when you could buy those old cars off the showroom, so I felt jipped, but now it can be relived to an extent with the new retro cars, and the Mustang is the best ( and my first Mustang!)

Agreed.

One thing I really wished is that I could have had an 88 - 89ish mustang GT back in 88 or 89 when I had just started driving.

I love my '08 GT convertible though and I will hopefully have the cash to buy a 2010 or 11 in a few years. Its a hobby that sucks a lot of money out of me but I'm having fun.

I considered the Camaro or the Challenger but I'm staying with Ford. Better value overall.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I guess I am technically one of those cool rich kids driving a mustang, only I am working two jobs to pay for it. I got my 2006 v6 with 16k miles and some cool stuff done to it for about 13,900. My parents helped me out with some of the cost, but not many kids in my area pay for their own gas and insurace. I picked a mustang because it was cool, fast, and had lots of room for improvement. Before my mustang, I had a 1995 cutlass sedan lol, it was gold with dark tinted windows. I got it from my grandpa's friend for about 1,500 and sold it a year later for 4 grand..that was a nice little headstart. My car has become a big part of my life and I feel all my hard work is justified
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT

Great post. I'm a little younger and from the West Coast but the scene was pretty much the same. Cragars, Centerlines and air shocks with a big rake were the rage, but I went against the grain with a 69 El Camino, lowered with black American Racing Torque thrusts. 255-60-15's all the way around and they were considered meats. It was 350/TH350 with a 3.73 12 bolt posi. I bought if for 1200 bucks!

My brother had a 68 SS Chevelle with a 4spd - matching #'s, 4.11's and the 375hp L78 motor. He bought it for $3000 and I was jealous as all hell.

I can vidily remember the mini-truck scene and all the guys that drove the modded VW bugs and Datsun 510's. We thought they were all a bunch of putz's! You were even more of f@g if you listended to New Wave and drove a VW Scirocco.

Things were so awesome back then - the cars were cheap, they were easy to work on and there was such a sense of camraderie. You knew that if someone drove a 60's/70's Chevy/Mopar/Ford that you were cut from the same cloth - you liked Rock, partied, raced, worked on cars, etc.

I was a hardcore Chevy guy but always resprected mustangs. One look at the S197 and I knew I had to have one. It's such a great car compared to the old muscle cars - refined but not euro weenie/ricer refined - decent handling and throw you back to a different time power, sound and looks.

I only wish they were easier to work on. There was something to be said for timing lights, dwell meters and feeler gauges!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
Does anybody remember the high beam lights control on the upper left of the floorboard?
YES!...even though I'm only 21. My dad used to have a 7th generation F-150 (might still have been an F-100 at the time) that had it.

Quick Reply: Why a Mustang?