MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Parking the car for a few months..... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/518962-parking-the-car-for-a-few-months.html)

loaded6shooter 02-19-2009 04:03 PM

Parking the car for a few months.....

Well, im shipping out to boot camp at the end of march and the stang will be parked in my grandma's garage for at-least 2 months.....I've never stored a car before and was wondering what kind of precautions or servicing i should do to keep my baby healthy while im gone doing push ups. =)

figure those guys that store there cars all winter would have some input to offer....

Shotokan1509 02-19-2009 04:30 PM

My winter setup:

Oil change and filter
Full gas tank with appropriate amount of Stabil
Full wash/wax/vacuum
Carcover
Tire pressure higher than normal (but not ridiculous)
I pull the battery, at the least disconnect yours
Windows cracked, air circulation and remember that ours move as the door opens/closes (not going to work without the battery)
I use bars of Irish Spring soap in the car/trunk, supposedly helps keep rodents away and the car smells decent
I leave the car in gear, and do NOT set the parking brake.. don't want the cable stretching or freezing

Parked mine day after thanksgiving, checked on it/started it once since then. You'll hear arguments of "start once per month" to "don't touch it until its getting pulled out". I just missed hearing it, lol. If its started best to let it get to full operating temp.

mdg 02-19-2009 04:50 PM

Which branch of the service?

Seabee 02-19-2009 04:51 PM

i was gonna ask what branch but someone beat me to it, but either way...good luck with that

loaded6shooter 02-19-2009 04:59 PM

Coast Guard....

hoping to be like ashton kutcher =) and be a rescue swimmer

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/A/C/...dian080405.jpg

mygt500 02-19-2009 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509 (Post 5956088)
My winter setup:

Oil change and filter
Full gas tank with appropriate amount of Stabil
Full wash/wax/vacuum
Carcover
Tire pressure higher than normal (but not ridiculous)
I pull the battery, at the least disconnect yours
Windows cracked, air circulation and remember that ours move as the door opens/closes (not going to work without the battery)
I use bars of Irish Spring soap in the car/trunk, supposedly helps keep rodents away and the car smells decent
I leave the car in gear, and do NOT set the parking brake.. don't want the cable stretching or freezing

Parked mine day after thanksgiving, checked on it/started it once since then. You'll hear arguments of "start once per month" to "don't touch it until its getting pulled out". I just missed hearing it, lol. If its started best to let it get to full operating temp.

I do the same thing as stated above and to be more specific...dont go over max psi for the tire and it says it right on the tire.

Also since it is at your grandpa's place have him check the tire pressures once a month and fill if needed and have him or a family member move the car a couple of feet in either direction to prevent a flat spot (most tires dont do this and if they do it will go away after a few miles)

Dont worry about starting it but I did when we had 60 degree temps a couple of weeks ago after the frigid cold blast of winter snow and cold!

I too missed the sound!

doode 02-19-2009 06:49 PM

i had my stored since october and just yesterday fired her up and booted around town with day tags on it

before storing:

full tank of gas + stablizer
fresh oil and oil filter
washed / waxed paint
cleaned / vacuumed the inside - put a bunch of bounce sheets inside the car
left the windows down a crack
pulled the battery
threw some old sheets over the car ( its stored in a garge)
threw the car up on jackstands

americaniron 02-19-2009 08:32 PM

Congrats on joining. The rescue swimmer school is at the base that I work at. They work those students into the ground during their training. PM me when you get your orders to AST school.