Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black caps on headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 PM
sacrelli

Default Black caps on headlights?

What are these black caps that cover the headlights on '06 Mustang? It seems like it masks the light. Are these necessary or can they be taken off? What is the use? thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

They focus the beam of light so it does not spray light out of the field it should be directed to from the factory. DO NOT remove them
Old 08-16-2009, 01:31 PM
sacrelli

Bringing back this thread. I upgraded my headlights from stock to the Sylvania Superstars. The Superstars are better than stock but are still very poor. On well lit streets, I'm fine but on poorly lit streets, I'm miserable. It shouldn't be like this. I recently found out that my friends GT does not have these black caps and I saw a V6 Mustang in a parking lot recently that did not have these caps. Are you sure the caps serve a purpose? I fear they are blocking out valuable light that I can use. What can I do to upgrade my headlights? I do not want to go to HID route because they are illegal in my state and I don't want a fat ticket to pay. There has to be another way to get more light on the road, please help.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 01:38 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

When I bought my '07 GT/CS from the dealership it didn't come with those black caps. Ford must've seen no reason to leave them on.

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 08-16-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I have been doing a lot of research on getting better headlights for my mustang because I experience the same problem; bad lighting on poorly lit roads.

Now I am not sure about the 07 model but on the 06 (which is what I have) and the 05 those caps keep the light from blinding oncoming traffic. The cap is used so the light is directed toward the reflective coating around the bulb, which in turn, reflects the light onto the street. If the cap is removed, the light will not be controlled and will just shine outward. It would be like driving with your highs on, just not quite as bright.

The 07 model that you saw might be using different bulbs that have a coating on the tip of the bulb so the shield is not needed (I have heard of that on some types of bulbs) or the headlight is designed to control the light better so the cap is not needed. Don't really know, I am just sharing what I believe to be true.

Hope that helps or gives you a place to start.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
sacrelli

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
I have been doing a lot of research on getting better headlights for my mustang because I experience the same problem; bad lighting on poorly lit roads.

Now I am not sure about the 07 model but on the 06 (which is what I have) and the 05 those caps keep the light from blinding oncoming traffic. The cap is used so the light is directed toward the reflective coating around the bulb, which in turn, reflects the light onto the street. If the cap is removed, the light will not be controlled and will just shine outward. It would be like driving with your highs on, just not quite as bright.

The 07 model that you saw might be using different bulbs that have a coating on the tip of the bulb so the shield is not needed (I have heard of that on some types of bulbs) or the headlight is designed to control the light better so the cap is not needed. Don't really know, I am just sharing what I believe to be true.

Hope that helps or gives you a place to start.
Thanks for the reply. I have too been looking for months for a replacement and the only thing I come up with is HID. Like I said, I do not want to go with the HID lights because they are illegal in my state and I don't want that ticket. Have you spoke with the dealership about the issue? or come up with anything yet?
Thanks again
Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 PM
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

what state are you in? i think they are illegal in just about all states in you put in aftermarket ones. i never hear of people getting tickets for them though. and its even better that you have the cover things because they cause the hids not to glare and blind oncoming drivers. i would just do the hids because i highly doubt you will get a ticket.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
sacrelli

Originally Posted by wicked stang
what state are you in? i think they are illegal in just about all states in you put in aftermarket ones. i never hear of people getting tickets for them though. and its even better that you have the cover things because they cause the hids not to glare and blind oncoming drivers. i would just do the hids because i highly doubt you will get a ticket.
I am in CA. Ok, can anyone recommend a reliable and safe HID Kit? You make a good point about the black caps protecting other drivers. I think I will go with the HID lights. I am having a difficult time chooses between 6 or 8k. I don't want to get the 6 and still not have enough lighting. Do you think thats enough in your experience? I'd like some guidance. Also, if anyone can recommend a kit that will work with a Mustang I would appreciate it. I'd like to get a kit that is not so expensive but still reliable and safe.
Thanks again
Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I read a lot about HIDs in this forum and the one place that gets countless praise is Retrosolutions. They have a rep on here that gives discounts. I am actually talking to him, asking some follow up questions before I purchase. I would talk to him; his name is Todd. Do a search for retrosolutions. You should find him.

As for the temp to get, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking just for improving your visibility then 4300k to 5000k is the way to go. Its white light and give the best visibility. After that you start getting a blue hugh to the light and less visibility. retrosolutions can explain it further if you don't follow me. Or you can just PM and I will try to explain it a little better.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

4300k will give you the most output and best color reproduction

Aside for that, you are at a great benefit to have the black caps/sheilds/cups, wahtever you want to call them in your lamps. In model year 06 Ford's producer stopped putting these into the lamps because for the most part the H13 bulbs they take are already coated. It saves $$$, that is the only reason they are not put into the lamps anymore. Problem is when converting to HID, HID bulbs are not coated and the caps are very important to have. Without the caps, you need to have the bulbs coated to prevent light escaping through the tops of the bulbs, and we are the only vendor/mannufacturer doing this to HID bulbs presently.

Quick Reply: Black caps on headlights?