Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Taurus SHO more HP than 2010 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jost
I am definately in agreement with Norm. I would give up H.P. anyday so that I can shift.. its about haveing fun driving.
I'd rather have the option to keep it in automatic when dealing with traffic, but you CAN shift this one all day long:

The new Taurus SHO driveline combines a high-capacity six-speed 6F55 SelectShift transmission with a sophisticated torque-sensing All-Wheel-Drive System. These components work in harmony to deliver ample traction when putting EcoBoost power on the road. The six-speed transmission offers a wide array of gears to enable spirited acceleration, yet comfortable high-speed cruising, through a 2.77 to 1 final drive ratio.

SelectShift provides conventional automatic operation or a manual shift mode that gives the driver complete control over gear selection. For performance-minded drivers, paddle controls allow “match-rev” downshifts and will hold manually selected gears for precise control. Intuitively operated, a squeeze on either paddle will deliver an economical upshift under acceleration, while a gentle push forward brings a smooth downshift, synchronizing the engine and transmission speeds for responsive and positive engagement.

Last edited by Orion_240; 03-09-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Ford44

just remember that it's the SHO model, and not a normal Taurus.

currently, the 5.0L V8 is waiting for a Mustang edition to go in. Ford didn't like the fuel mileage, and is thinking hard about how to use it. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Mustang comes with a supercharged 4.6L model- similar to the S281. according to several dealers that I talked to, the supercharged 281s were selling quicker than the supercharged 5.4L GT500. they had less weight and just as much horsepower.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
, but you CAN shift this one all day long:

<snip>

SelectShift provides conventional automatic operation or a manual shift mode that gives the driver complete control over gear selection. For performance-minded drivers, paddle controls allow “match-rev” downshifts and will hold manually selected gears for precise control. Intuitively operated, a squeeze on either paddle will deliver an economical upshift under acceleration, while a gentle push forward brings a smooth downshift, synchronizing the engine and transmission speeds for responsive and positive engagement.
I do see how this would appeal to many (particularly those who must frequently deal with heavy traffic), but it's not the same.

What it also does is remove any requirement for coordination on the part of the driver, which is where much of the satisfaction lies. Wiggling a glorified momentary-contact toggle switch just doesn't provide much sense of involvement or accomplishment even if it might offer numerically better performance. Never mind "so easy even a caveman . . ." - a gerbil in training could do this one.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-09-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Lets focus on the competition between different automakers and worry less about the ones in the same company....JMO
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
05pnygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Lets focus on the competition between different automakers and worry less about the ones in the same company....JMO
good point
Old 03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Its Basically a Lincoln MKS..which i have as a work car..

Really a good value when u look at it compared to a Lincoln..but then again 38K for a Taurus ..

tough sell..but it has come a long way
Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You guys are stuck on what a Taurus used to be

Ford said it's gonna be a luxury car now and not an average mid size ride...
So if they give you $38K with the sh#t and you like the look, who cares?
My 01 F150 has more goodies than my 06 loaded Mustang, and it's a truck lol.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

So instead of being an average mid size ride, it can now be an average near-luxury car? It's discouraging to see the sporting blood being bred out of so many mid to upper level sedan lines. Too damn civilized, too "soft", too much like mobile miniaturized living rooms.

Norm
unrepentant anachronism

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-24-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I agree with you Norm but that's how it goes...
People want more stuff in their cars.
Even Mustangs come with NAV systems and options that you and I can't care less on such cars.
This drives the prices up and soon, a well priced car loses its edge.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM
tony351

Originally Posted by pascal
You guys are stuck on what a Taurus used to be

Ford said it's gonna be a luxury car now and not an average mid size ride...
So if they give you $38K with the sh#t and you like the look, who cares?
My 01 F150 has more goodies than my 06 loaded Mustang, and it's a truck lol.
Do you have a link to Ford claiming that the Taurus will be a luxury car? First off, the Taurus is no longer a mid-sized car, it replaced the 500 which is a full sized car. If the Taurus is going to compete with other full-sized luxury cars, I would expect the price to be quite a bit more. Besides, what then becomes of the Lincoln brand if Ford makes luxury vehicles?

Quick Reply: 2010 Taurus SHO more HP than 2010 Mustang GT