Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You want to know who much HP you are making?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
That little gauge is awesome.
hellz yes that gauge is friggin cool
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I use formulas at work all day, so for my mustang I use trap speed... I've done 122.7 mph in the 1/4 mile, that's how much horsies I'm putting down.

I'd like to see the theorem for that formula to see how it accounts for real-life variables such as boosting and engine efficiencies. Any engineer knows that theory and field can be very different.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

So Mad, how did you get your MAF number?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 AM
TheMadScientist

Originally Posted by pharmd2010
I still have to question how good these "estimations" are with these formulas. I would actually put my money on the dyno being more correct than these formulas. And to be honest, I don't really care too much what kind of numbers my car puts down. What matters is what it runs at the track!
I agree 100%. There are no numbers that matter other than at the track. I have watched at a dyno day the operator of the dyno adjust the ramp rate to make all cars that were tuned there make better numbers. That is why I will allways question a dyno. Those formulas will at least allow you to check your dyno sheet. You are correct the amount of air entering the engine is not a perfect indicator of HP. It is an indicator of potential HP, if AFR and timing aren't perfect to get peak cylinder pressure at or arround 15 degrees ATDC then you will not make the HP indicated by the air flow. Just did a 3rd gear pull here is the graph. The top end looks wrong to me as it came out to >300chp@6000rpm. This was done in 28F ambient temps though.

AWD sure is helpful, isn't it??? So why did you buy a mustang GT again?
(Just a joke man... that's a really nice time. STI I presume?)
AWD is great getting out of the hole, but from what I have seen for drag times here the mustang with a set LCA's, and tires, can cut better 60' times. My best on stock tires in my Sti was a 1.712 and that was abusing the **** out of the car.
Well I got into a head on with a F350 with the subaru. The insurance company put $14k into thee car to "fix" it. The Sti was never the same after that. The mustang IMO is MUCH better looking, get better MPG, runs on 87, sounds much better, and IMO will handle as good as the Sti on the same tires. The Sti could make a bad driver look like a pro, IMO you have to know how to drive to make the mustang handle well. And getting the mustang cut my car payment in half.

Quite honestly, I do not feel comfortable messing with the tune on my car. I would rather pay a small price for a tune that is tried and tested by an expert rather than start "trying out new things" that I saw somebody else do on the internet. Just my opinion.
IMO 2hrs on a dyno will garantee WOT performance. I would spend weeks or even months tuning my car. Most of the time would be spent on part throttle drivablity tuning. I have all the tools to tune with my own WBO2, loggers and soon tuning software to tune my own car. I am a a total car geek and love tweeking my tune for months at a time. Once I get tuning software for the mustang my laptop won't leave the car.

Looks like you have some ground to make up to get back to the level of your Subaru. Get to modding that thing!
Have only had the mustang for about a month. The first thing I do when I get a different car is research the hell out of it to figure out where my money would best be spent. So far CAI, tune, LCA's and tires. Then port and polish every thing I can, this is free for me just my time.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm assuming he is data logging to get them, but i'm just using the aeroforce gauge.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I did that without even trying. Actually a lot of people run mid 12's with just bolt ons.

What is 233gm? Is that the same as MAF counts?

This gauge records MAF counts and lbs. per minute. It also records crank horsepower, probably using a similar formula.

I have free software to tune my motorcycle. Even if there was free software to tune my mustang, I wouldn't do it. There really isn't much need for it, like someone else said.

Sorry, i'm a little OCD... but your guage isn't level :-x

I couldn't help myself lol sorry!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
TheMadScientist

I am using an ActronCP9180 to log the MAF.

Originally Posted by moosestang
I did that without even trying. Actually a lot of people run mid 12's with just bolt ons.

What is 233gm? Is that the same as MAF counts?

This gauge records MAF counts and lbs. per minute. It also records crank horsepower, probably using a similar formula.

I have free software to tune my motorcycle. Even if there was free software to tune my mustang, I wouldn't do it. There really isn't much need for it, like someone else said.
It is 233 grams per second. Your gauge reads pounds per hour, same thing different units. Very cool gauge, what is it?

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
I use formulas at work all day, so for my mustang I use trap speed... I've done 122.7 mph in the 1/4 mile, that's how much horsies I'm putting down.

I'd like to see the theorem for that formula to see how it accounts for real-life variables such as boosting and engine efficiencies. Any engineer knows that theory and field can be very different.

If you read my last post the amount of air that enters an engine is the theoretical amount of HP that can be made. In the real world we are limited by octane, engine efficiency, and tuning. If youdon't get AFR and timing right you won't take advantage of the air going into the motor.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheMadScientist

It is 233 grams per second. Your gauge reads pounds per hour, same thing different units. Very cool gauge, what is it?
Aeroforce interceptor gauges. They're friggin sweet :-D

http://www.steeda.com/products/aerof...ble_gauges.php
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well if I convert that to grams per second and use your formula, I get 574hp. That's a little on the high side.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheMadScientist
If you read my last post the amount of air that enters an engine is the theoretical amount of HP that can be made. In the real world we are limited by octane, engine efficiency, and tuning. If youdon't get AFR and timing right you won't take advantage of the air going into the motor.
I understand that and that the equation is for a theoretical amount of HP. I'm just curious to if the formula does anything to account for any type of effiecency, hence why I'd like to see the mathematical proof behind it. Basically, is there a factor hidden in this equation that will account for the ineffieciencies of the engine, or is it for 100% efficiency.

Quick Reply: You want to know who much HP you are making?