Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh Crap! I have the water Leak/Electrical issue!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
no one should have a leaky car these days. It's simply unacceptable.
AMEN BROTHER
Drove a 75 Chevy pick-up and it didnt leak.
My 79 Camaro didnt leak.
My 72 and 73 VW super beetles didnt leak a drop.
My 92 Blazer was as dry as a bone inside.
It had to be with thousands of dollars of contest
winning sound equipment rattling the body to pieces
and bouncing quarters 6"s into the air off of the roof.
My 97 Jimmy also didnt leak a drop though roughly 4wheeled reguarly.
All were well used and abused before I got them.
Bought a new 07 Mustang and it leaked from the first
downpour to my unpleasurable dismay.

Originally Posted by cougarfan088
I had the leak problem. the plastic window seal on the right side wasnt sealed completely and water ran down the door and leaked onto the floor behind the fusebox cover. They took all my carpet out and and replaced it all with brand new carpet. They had no problem doing it whatsoever.
I also have the 'foam seal is working its way out from under
the plastic trim around the A-Pillar on the passengers side' problem.
And I also have the errant cowl clip in my cowl drain problem along
with the water intrusion from the door wiring grommet and the wiring
seal behind the passengers side wheel well liner. Not to mention the
skippy application of seam sealer (darn blind robots).
The problem is widespread just on this forum alone.
Whats the odds that only people with leaks are on the
forum and those without leaks are not here to say how
dry their nice S197 mustang is. Whos is NOT LEAKING (yet).
Chime in, please.......
Attached Thumbnails Oh Crap!  I have the water Leak/Electrical issue!-leaktsb.jpg   Oh Crap!  I have the water Leak/Electrical issue!-leakarea.jpg   Oh Crap!  I have the water Leak/Electrical issue!-leakarea2.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 02-28-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:28 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I have had my 08 for almost a year now,so far no problems! I have checked a few times,no dampness at all! My car is always in the garage and only drive it on nice days.Only time it gets water on it is when i wash it! I feel for everybody that has had this problem,water leaks can be hard to fine sometimes,the worse thing is most dealers don't care!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:48 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Yes, the TSB says not to use silicone sealer. I haven't got around to resealing mine with seam sealer.

How about someone with an 08 pull their passenger side cowl cover off and see if they are still using the foam seals under the clips in my picture. I bet they have changed them.
The newest TSB, 08-26-7, recommends replacing the clips with the 08 clips that are hot glued in place. I ordered a set of the 08 clips and I'll post some pics when I get them.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:57 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

TSB 08-26-7 http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...7&d=1232736771

Last edited by NJ3; 02-28-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Bnzred05

I too had the water leak. Mine was leaking through from the window trim on the A-pillar, as the weather strip was damaged/missing in some spots. I pulled the seals out, took the trim piece off (which is held to the body with torx screws) and replaced the weather seal with some thicker stuff i picked up at a local hardware store. After you pull the trim piece off, you will notice there are holes in the frame of the door. If the weather stripping is damaged/ missing, water leaks into those holes and runs down the kick panel and on top/behind the SJB ( I squirted water into those holes and watched it run down the kick panel/SJB). To test, pull the kick panels out, get in the car and have someone drench the trim piece on the forward part of the A-pillar, around the area where the mirrors mount. If it is leaking from the A-pillar trim, you will see the water run down the inside of the kick panel and SJB. Took me a few hours and about $20 in materials and after drenching the car for 10 mins, so far its dry. Expecting rain in a few days so time will tell
Old 02-28-2009, 04:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
The newest TSB, 08-26-7, recommends replacing the clips with the 08 clips that are hot glued in place. I ordered a set of the 08 clips and I'll post some pics when I get them.
Thanks, I'd like to see the difference in the clips. I have a hot glue gun, but never thought about hot gluing plastic clips to my car.

Hey 157db, I found a leaky Jimmy without even trying.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/ind...=1369.msg19299

All your other cars you've owned are pre-internet, so I didn't bother searching.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
TGM31401

This is my first car, and the first time it rained, (3" of rain) I got a waterfall from behind and to the right of the glove box. I am 16, and in a month, I have gone to the dealership twice for problems. EGR valve busted, and now this leak. used 2006 manual 4.0. This is so frustrating and thank you for all these posts. they really help
Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
AMEN BROTHER
Whos is NOT LEAKING (yet).
Chime in, please.......
My 2007 is 25 months old and it doesn't leak, BUT it's never been washed with a water hose or been in the rain. I am so paranoid about the leak issue and I've known about it since the day I ordered the '07 at the dealer. Told the salesman I was bringing a roll of shop towels when it arrived and if there was any sign of water in the passenger compartment I wouldn't take delivery.

Gee Ford, don't you have a better idea?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Here are the pictures of the old and new cowl clips. The differences are the clips have a little larger top and the hot melt glue around the clip instead of the cheap foam gasket. The clip replacement wasn't too bad but as per the TSB be careful with the heat gun around the glass and fenders. I used leather gloves to help insulate the fenders but I still got some bubbling on the edge of the glass in one spot because it got too hot.

You can get a good idea on what a poor job the foam gasket does at keeping the water out from the second picture.

I washed my car and so far no water inside, rain on the way too.
Attached Thumbnails Oh Crap!  I have the water Leak/Electrical issue!-2009_0329010004.jpg   Oh Crap!  I have the water Leak/Electrical issue!-2009_0329010003.jpg   Oh Crap!  I have the water Leak/Electrical issue!-2009_0329010002.jpg  

Last edited by NJ3; 04-01-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

I *think* I had that issue too in December after it had been raining a lot but I never felt any water in the carpet area near the kickbox. The clock would stay on after getting out and locking the car, and it kept drawing power from the battery and I'd have to have the car jump started. Autozone said it wasn't the battery, and eventually this problem stopped after a couple of weeks and hasn't happened since. If the car had still been under warranty I'd have taken it to the dealership.

I did have to get the battery replaced a couple weeks ago, though... the car kept having a rough time starting up. AutoZone said that that the battery had gone bad. Luckily it was still under warranty.

I do know what you mean though... I've had several issues with my car. When I first got it it had railroad dust and the dealer had to wax it. Then in '06 the throttle body was shorted and had to be replaced. And then in '07 the alternator died and had to be replaced. Then the issue with the clock staying on. I hope I don't have any more problems, but my gut tells me not to get my hopes up on that. And yeah, the dealerships were pretty much a$$holes when it came to getting things fixed.

Last edited by VictoriaRR; 04-01-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Oh Crap! I have the water Leak/Electrical issue!