Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GET THAT OLD SCHOOL EXHAUST SOUND!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by smokestang
Lets not forget that the "TRUE" musclecar sound is the sound from the 60s and early 70s...which the s197 captures pretty well! If you listen to the classic stangs and the s197 back to back..its very close! the sound everybody loves so much is unique to the sn-95/new edge stangs...which sounded the best with that deep,hollow sound..but that sound is not really possible for our cars,but atleast they do sound "classic" and have the looks, styling, and performance to go with it FWIW!
Listening to the exhaust note of my car, I realized that it sounds much closer to an old school muscle car than sounding like a New Edge mustang...and I am completely happy with that.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I was sitting outside a DOD office building in Crystal City, VA with my motor running and two guys came up to me at separate times both stating that my sounded like the Mustang of the 70s. That is the sound I was trying to get.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by owero01
I was sitting outside a DOD office building in Crystal City, VA with my motor running and two guys came up to me at separate times both stating that my sounded like the Mustang of the 70s. That is the sound I was trying to get.
I just listened to your dyno clip on youtube. It does have old school muscle car sound, especially with cams.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Frank S

Back in the day, one of my automotive engineer friends was impressed with the sound of a stock 1960 Rambler American. It had that tight, solid sound everyone was seeking, and he was willing to bet they didn't design it that way on purpose. He stood on a street corner in Los Angeles and marked down the year, make, and model of all the cars with tight, solid exhaust sounds. Some of them were modified, some stock. He followed up the modified ones as best he could, following a few all the way home.

He analyzed the exhaust system characteristics, the engine types and piston displacements, muffler types and locations, everything he could think of that might influence the exhaust sound.

This was in the days before electronic computers were widely available, but the University had Friden mechanical calculators he could use for some number crunching.

He worked for months, trying to find a template or formula that would predict a good, tight, solid-sounding exhaust. After all that work, he did arrive at a description of the basic physical determinants: a specific relationship among cylinder swept volume, compression ratio, flame front speed at torque peak, and exhaust column volume per pulse.

He tried to patent it, copyright it, trademark it, all to no avail. No one believed it would do what he said it would without working examples built to the formula, and he didn't have and couldn't raise resources to do that.

So we all end up doing what we have to do: try one setup; if it doesn't work, try another. Eventually we either find one we like, or can live with, or our natural cognitive dissonance finally overwhelms our resolve, and we declare Eureka! even if it's just a hair or a whole mile off, realistically speaking.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Frank S

FRPP GTAs on a stock GT/CS coupe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewNihVSCDe0

Much better fidelity in the original MOV file:
http://www.fototime.com/2A729CBE293DB11/orig.mov

Same (actual) mufflers on a 2006 V6 auto convertible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9uRaR1JlE

They were too loud for me on the six, perfect on the GT.

GT takeoffs are perfect on the six.

(Blasphemy: I like the six's sound better than the eight; just more "musical" somehow.)

Last edited by Frank S; 03-01-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Poco
And suspension technology,which effectively gets that power to the ground.

No one wants to go back to leaf springs Poco!

I still think the white s197 with the mid mounted flows sounds sweet!