Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Transmission is Busted, What Next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Default My Transmission is Busted, What Next?

Well, my transmission took a crap on me coming home from work today...I don't know how bad the damage is but today when I was getting off of the freeway as I was pulling on to the main street, as I lightly accelerated (normal, I didn't hammer it or anything) I heard a loud thud and then I was just coasting...the car won't go into gear, I tried reverse as well and it wouldn't do anything.

Any guesses as to what could have went? I had been having problems the last few weeks and was about to take it in...my O/D off light was blinking, occasional slipping and jerking...Just trying to figure out what is wrong so I can see what my options are...
Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear bout that man. What year is your stang? Does it still have the warranty?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Nah its out of warranty...its just crappy timing, I just found out I owe several thousand to good 'ol uncle sam and now this. I honestly didn't expect my transmission to go so soon, hopefully I can have it rebuilt for a reasonable price.

Anybody have an idea what could be wrong, and how much it would cost to have my transmission rebuilt?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:27 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

you supercharged?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that man, I wish the powertrain warranty was longer.

Have you tried 1 and 2? Do you hear any vibrations what so ever from under the car, or its just dead?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:56 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

stupid question but is it an automatic or 5 spd, also does it roll in neutral, if it does do you hear any noise when it does. is their any leaks now and can you move the shifter. is there a check engine light on also, good luck and i hope things work out
Old 02-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

allout, I'm full bolt-ons w/cams. No supercharger.

Smoth J, tried 1 and 2...no luck. No vibrations from under the car that I can hear.

billyjo, its an auto 5r55s transmission. It rolls in neutral, makes no noise at all. No leaks before, and no leaks now that I know of. Yes, I can move the shifter just like normal without any problems. No check engine light...the only light I had was the O/D off light that was blinking, which went away when my transmission blew lol.

Thanks guys for all your help
Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 AM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

ok this happen to me once in another car and it turned out to be that the shifter broke from were it connects to the transmission.causing you to be able to move the shift from d to 1 but the transmission was stuck in park.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If the OD light is blinking....
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=256&viewfil...20Controls.pdf
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=241&viewfil...l%20System.pdf
Old 03-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Well, after talking it over with my dad everything seems to be pointing towards the torque converter. I'm just hoping it didn't cause any damage to the transmission...I'll know for sure next week.

On that note, it looks like I'm in the market for a new torque converter. Would a 3500 stall be good for a setup like mine? I've got full bolt-ons and FRPP cams.

Quick Reply: My Transmission is Busted, What Next?