Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter help...opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Default Shifter help...opinions wanted.

Time to get a new shifter...running up and down the road, punching it for fun, I'm sick of the stock shifter.

I want a shifter that will be good for me:

1) short throw
2) solid, notchy feel where I know it's in
3) straightforward design.

I know most talk about the MGW, and I'm looking at it...but all I keep hearing is that it's "smooth"...I don't think I'm really looking for smooth.

Any opinions and help appreciated, I'll be buying it next week.

OH...and I'll post up pics later this week. I got my blackout panel and smoked tail light covers in but the panel didn't fit right so they're sending a new one.

Looks a LOT better on WB than I thought it would!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a Hurst is right up your alley then. It's got a very short throw, sold engagement and is by far the cheapest as long as you don't get the billet model which is a waste of money anyway unless you plan on installing a glass floorboards to look at it all day.
I've got one and have no complains really.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i have the mgw and if you put it on the shortest throw which is 10 turns then it has a nice notchy feel not super notchy but just enough trust me when i say it is the best shifter to get. i had the hurst as well but the mgw is the winner
Old 03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

also if you do get the hurst the billet is the way to go it is stronger and les flex in the shaft and you can get the biller for 216 i got it here when i had it http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...?T1=3915201+01
Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

I'm just not sure about any of them that are adjustable. I wonder about their reliability when you have to screw something a certain way, or turn this or loosen this nut.

It just seems easier to have one preset throw and put it in.

Is the Hurst a 40% or 45% reduction?

Any other info about the MGW besides "it's the greatest?" Nobody ever gives any info except 'trust me it's good.'

AND...how difficult is the installation? I haven't looked at it with this car.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

the adjustable stuff is not goin to come loose it cant it get bolted dont so nothign can get loose, everything about the mgw is just great craftsmanship i had the hurst and now the mgw and the mgw qaulity just blows all others away when you open the box and look at everything you just say wow to yourself pm me if you need anythign man
Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Trust Deekum, I did, the MGW is worth every penny, no regrets here at all.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

definately the mgw. it is completey adjustable to fit the user. ranges from smooth to notchy depending on the adjustment. Its almost to pretty to use
Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I have the MGW as well, I've never tested any of the other shifters but I can't imagine them being any better. It's extremely well made.

As for the notchiness, it depends what you mean by notchy. The MGW has very firm engagement and you can feel it click into place but it's not notchy in the sense that you don't have to force it into gear, it just goes where you point it. If you use it really short like I do it gets kind of heavy but I like it that way.

Installation is time consuming but not particularly hard as long as you have a good jack and a couple of stands. With a lift it wouldn't take any time, hardest part is raising the car.

My only complain is that even with all the Dynamat that comes with it and some extra one I got I can still hear the driveshaft. I was also worried about weather sealing so I completely enclosed the base of the shifter in Dynamat Extreme.

When I get home tonight I'll take some pictures of the shifter with the boot removed so you can see how I installed it.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT/SRT
I know most talk about the MGW, and I'm looking at it...but all I keep hearing is that it's "smooth"...I don't think I'm really looking for smooth.
Check out the video I made of my MGW shifter....you can see and hear it "KATHUNK" everytime it goes into gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMY1v9gXqBA

Quick Reply: Shifter help...opinions wanted.