Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-oiling Steeda CAI Filter - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobertJ
Which model # is that? I wouldn't mind replacing mine with that filter.
(part number is EAAU4090 )

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx?zo=1667299
Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I considered a replacement dry filter. Amsoil doesn't have an exact fit to the Steeda so I thought I'd try the cleaning kit and keep my fingers crossed that I don't contaminate the MAF. I used to have to clean my MAF on my SUV every 5,000-10,000 miles due to over-oiling so I'm a little... concerned.

Moosestang, are you suggesting I spray the INSIDE (when you say "...then flip it over and spray the other.")? I think that might be overkill. But you may be correct.

I'll give the outside a conservative spray, then evaluate how well it penetrated after giving it some time to be absorbed before spraying the inside. Fortunately, the Stang isn't my DD so I have time to experiment.

Hi Nuke,

I found this before cleaning mine, i own a C&L CAI with the filter in purple.

http://www.radphys.com/kn_instructions.pdf

Im a little confused, when you said you are concerned on contaminate the MAF, what would be the MAF ?
MAF would be the same as the filter ?

Im sorry but some english terms doesnt make sense, i know MAF stands for Mass Air Flow but are you talking about the filter or the other part that comes with it.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

M A F =
Mass air flow sensor
Old 03-03-2009, 05:38 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
M A F =
Mass air flow sensor
Yeah thanks, i did a quick research and now i know what we all are talking.

So i had a problem after cleaning my Filter, but i let my filter dry for a week and im still driving the stock filter. If i change back to my CAI C&L Filter and tune it, i will have low RPMs and my car will dead. Can i have a over-oiled filter even though i let it dry for a week ?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gnrpatience
Yeah thanks, i did a quick research and now i know what we all are talking.

So i had a problem after cleaning my Filter, but i let my filter dry for a week and im still driving the stock filter. If i change back to my CAI C&L Filter and tune it, i will have low RPMs and my car will dead. Can i have a over-oiled filter even though i let it dry for a week ?

Thanks
Depends how much oil you put on it,
oil will drip, but does not evaporate like water.
so if you over oiled it , letting it sit may not be the remedy
if the MAF is dirty, you may need this

http://the-auto-alley.amazonwebstore...B000J19XSA.htm
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

its not about the filter drying its about how much you put on, yes you do have to let it dry but also if you over oil it will just keep coming out which is a bad thing for your maf which is why alot fo ppl love the new dry filter i think that is hte way to go never have to oil again plus saves alot of time cleaning it which is good
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

gnrpatience, had you contaminated the MAF you would have had a check engine light come on and the car wouldn't run right even with the stock air box and tune. When you remove the air filter, look inside the inlet tube where the filter attaches and you'll see the MAF.

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, my kit didn't come with a squeeze bottle oiler; it came with a spray can.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I've been using a K&N Recharge kit. Seems like it would last forever.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

yeah i just use k&n oil/ cleaning kit and i have cleaned it about 3 maybe 4 times now.. (every start of race season and before BIG events) and no oil on maf yet.
I have the steeda 90mm aswell and you can see the excess oil after the filter sits. i just take paper towel to the filter and soak up as much as you can from it without pressing hard
Only oil the filter from the outside
I oil it outside and spray wide patterns and light coats and let the filter stand up in the sun and and blot after the last coat and check the inside up to the light. If you cant see the red/ blue (depending on oil color) then you need more oil there. If you see it then your golden. blot any excess and install.
if your concered take a magnifying glass to the maf and i have yet to have seen issues/ oil of any kind. K&N states they have NEVER found any oil on MAF's
Do i believe it... NO but still i think you gotta be an idiot to get oil on the MAF unless you put the oil on so heavy that its coming through the inside
now im not saying your an idiot from you SUV getting an oily MAF im just saying DONT FEAR THE OIL FILTER
I dont think an oilless filter is better, i will keep my oil to trap more crap from the motor
Old 03-04-2009, 02:46 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

also I thought mechanics 101 says DONT BLOW OUT A FILTER WITH COMPRESSED AIR!!!!
I dont know what could make an oilless filter;
A strong enough to withstand the compressed air
B flow as well as an oiled filter
C filter as well as an oiled filter

This is an opinon and I like to listen to my own common sence... History has shown going against it is bad...
JMO please dont jump on me
IMO keep the oil filter and im sure the 4 year life of the filter/ cost of the filter is way more then the cost to replace the filter VRS the oil and time to do it right

Quick Reply: Re-oiling Steeda CAI Filter - Recommendations