Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam covers leads oil in my SC intake..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

No, it forces it from the positive (passenger side) to the negative (driver/intake side) up into the intake.

Look at your engine. there is a hose on the drivers side cam cover that connects to the intake right behind the throttle body. that's the negative side where the oil is pushed from the crankcase up into the intake.

the connection on the CAI is the positive side, where fresh air (in the intake tract past the cai filter) is pushed throught the crankcase to eliminate stale gases.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kpaulhus
Onederful- you have any engine bay pics?
sorry dont have any pics w/ the breathers on.
but the breathers are from K&N, they are crankcase breathers, the passenger side is 3/8 inch, the drivers side is 5/8, you can order from summit or jegs, or might be able to get a local autoparts place. and the oil cap breather i got from Central Florida Motorsports

http://mustang.c-f-m.com/index.asp?P...odID=2160&HS=1

IMO the breathers look nicer, and easier to install, the only drawback is wiping the blowby off the passenger side, so i will put in a small separator soon and keep the rest of the breathers.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I also wanted to just disconnect my PCV and add breathers. they look sooo nice and clean! but everything I heard is that pcv is essential for negative crankcase pressure and the same problem you're having would occur with leakage.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

thanks for the link to the oil seperator. Awesome. I wondered about the breather filter.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I also wanted to just disconnect my PCV and add breathers. they look sooo nice and clean! but everything I heard is that pcv is essential for negative crankcase pressure and the same problem you're having would occur with leakage.
that sounds like it makes sense. i'm looking into a smaller catch can, bc i didn't like how the moroso one looked in the engine area. now that i think about it, when i had the pcv connected i did see more blowby out the driver side, but w/ the breathers i see it out the passenger side. i am definately putting the catch can back on, but will use a smaller better looking one that i can tuck away and be less noticeable.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'd leave the driver-side and/or positive side connected and add the catch-can on the passenger (negative) side. That seems to be what all these 700+hp guys are doing (and all the high boost imports I've seen).

IMO, you would want the negative crankcase pressure just not the oil residue.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kpaulhus
This only happens to FI applications? right? This concerns me since I want to do my valve covers soon.
FI or N/A should have a catch can, if you ever do your delete plates you will know why. Mine were gummed up pretty good with only 11k miles on the clock. stock system pulls freash air in on the passenger side before the TB,thru the motor (grabbing oil vapors) and into the intake after the TB, these oil vapors clog everything thing up but the worst part about the vapors is they degrade your octane level of your fuel.

n/a it wont effect much more than just having things clogged up, FI and its more a octane thing and detonation.

My system is different than most, my system is not tied into the factory intake at all, it draws air thru the crankcase from the suction of the turbo,filters the oil out thru the catch can.since installing the catch can i have not had a drop of oil make it past, im using #12 stainless steel line with a morroso catch can,works great.

my catch can is in the top right,by the brake booster. i have one hose that connects just before the turbo in the filter inlet, for constant suction,the other hose is then connected to the driver valve cover,and on the passenger valve cover i just have a filter. so the turbos constant suction draws freash air thru the passenger side cover.I do have a problem,like i knew i would, of oil coming out of the filter on the passenger side. when the motor is being pushed hard, there just is not enough suction, so its forcing oil out of the breather filter,ill have to add another line to the passenger side and put some sort of catch on it or route it to the catch can as well.

Last edited by one eyed willy; 03-03-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I'd leave the driver-side and/or positive side connected and add the catch-can on the passenger (negative) side. That seems to be what all these 700+hp guys are doing (and all the high boost imports I've seen).

IMO, you would want the negative crankcase pressure just not the oil residue.
i bet %95 of the oil gets in from the driver side, take your hose off on each valve cover and just take a look. the passenger side will be dry. the driver side will pour oil out soon as you tip it.the direction of the suction is towards the driver side valve cover, its vacuum from the intake.only oil that creeps up the passenger side is from when you are really pushing the motor and there just is not enough vacuum to draw it to the driver side and the pressure just forces oil up on the passenger side,but its rare that you have alot get forced up.take your hoses off and have a look.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Here is a quick shot of my layout:

The can is in the bottom right of the first pic next to the coolant overflow tank. The line runs from the driver's side valve cover under the coolant tank to the can then back from the can to the intake.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

that's a nice setup, 1eyed.

Quick Reply: Cam covers leads oil in my SC intake..