Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI with 87 Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

My first tunes with a CAI included 87 and 93 octant tunes. With the 87 tune, I was able to increase highway mpg by 1.5-2 mpg on trips, just with the tune. But using the 93 octane tune, yeah mpg was less, and more fun to drive!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 AM
perfect storm
1st Gear Member

Great Responses.

I just purchased the car and haven't done any performance mods, these gains we are talking about are exclusive to just the the CAI and tune? Optimally I know they are just a piece of extracting more performance.

If I was looking at a reasonable CAI w/ Tune, what brand CAI and tune would I be looking for considering price & performance? Bullitt set up? THere are a lot of brands within the same price range. I understand the CAI is about as easy an install as they get.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by perfect storm; 03-05-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:11 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Here is an article that shows the test results of various intakes:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html
Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 AM
SteveB_RET
1st Gear Member

I think you would be better off asking who should I get my tunes from and look at what CAIs they sell. There are several really good places to consider. I went with Brenspeed.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Take the test results with a grain of salt. Dyno #'s are not repeatable enough to typically distinguish one CAI as superior to another.

All of the CAI's that require a tune are equivalent (not identical) in performance. The kicker is the tune. The FRPP tune and "canned" tunes from shops like AM are inferior as compared to the custom tunes from Bama, Brenspeed, VMP and others. The tune provides about 75% or more of the combo's performance gain.

Choose the CAI based on your wallet and what's pleasing to your eyes.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I've seen a big drop in my mpg but I haven't been able to keep from driving like an idiot since I got my CAI/93 tune so I think the pain is self imposed. Mine is from Tillman Speed and I would recommend them to anyone, the tunes are very good and Chris Rose is very receptive to deal with. Oh and btw they actually give you three customs tunes however you want unlike Brenspeed who just makes an octane adjustment on the same tune.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

I bought my Steeda CAI and tunes from Brenspeed. I have been very happy with it and with Brenspeed's customer service. Their 93 octane tune makes my car really responsive, and I have noticed an increase of about 2 MPG.

One thing to bear in mind is that with a tune loaded, you may not pass inspection. This may not be true of all tunes and not in all states. Brenspeed does have an "environmentally friendly" 87 tune that will pass inspection here in Texas. After you change tunes, you have to run the car for a few hundred miles before the inspection so that the computer won't throw a code saying it's been reset. If it does that, it won't pass inspection. After the inspection, you can reload your preferred tune.

Not a big deal, but something that anyone considering a CAI and tune should know.

Last edited by wthalliii; 03-05-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wthalliii
I bought my Steeda CAI and tunes from Brenspeed. I have been very happy with it and with Brenspeed's customer service. Their 93 octane tune makes my car really responsive, and I have noticed an increase of about 2 MPG.

One thing to bear in mind is that with a tune loaded, you may not pass inspection. This may not be true of all tunes and not in all states. Brenspeed does have an "environmentally friendly" 87 tune that will pass inspection here in Texas. After you change tunes, you have to run the car for a few hundred miles before the inspection so that the computer won't throw a code saying it's been reset. If it does that, it won't pass inspection. After the inspection, you can reload your preferred tune.

Not a big deal, but something that anyone considering a CAI and tune should know.
I just got my inspection done yesterday and found out something interesting about NY that I didn't know. If your car is new, the first 2 years they do not do an emissions test, they simply put the car on a lift and ensure the cats are in place. I was in getting my tpms retrained and the tech ask me if I wanted my inspection done. When I said I didn't think it would pass he told me this about new cars and my car passed w/o a problem.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I am happy with my Bamachips tunes and their customer service. I bought a used Diablo from a local seller, but bought a JLT intake from Doug at Bamachips. Along with the intake, I got 3 free tunes and he updated my previous tune I bought from him.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Take the test results with a grain of salt. Dyno #'s are not repeatable enough to typically distinguish one CAI as superior to another.

All of the CAI's that require a tune are equivalent (not identical) in performance. The kicker is the tune. The FRPP tune and "canned" tunes from shops like AM are inferior as compared to the custom tunes from Bama, Brenspeed, VMP and others. The tune provides about 75% or more of the combo's performance gain.

Choose the CAI based on your wallet and what's pleasing to your eyes.
That was just show that regardless of price, there is that much of a difference in the intakes. I am happy with my JLT.

Quick Reply: CAI with 87 Tune question