Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i keep my catalytic converters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Default should i keep my catalytic converters?

hey guys
i was wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of using cats, the mufflershop i called today who is gunna do my exhaust asked if i wanted to keep my cats or have them removed... i didnt know i had a choice in california, so what you guys think. i was thinking about taking off the cats and everytime i get it smog checked id just replace with the old exhaust, but i feel that would become a pain in the @$$ after a while. but what do you guys think?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

the v6 sounds like *** without them.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Keep the cats. Removing the stock cats is a big no no here in Cali. If caught, you could be fined for both having no cats and removing a smog controlled device. I am surprised they even asked. Before I had hi-flow cats welded into my O/R prochamber, I asked two muffler/exhaust shops if they would do it. Both said they could sell me the hi-flow cats, but not install them. When you run a catless system, your car will produce a distinct smell. Because of the smell alone, I put on hi-flow cats. I didn't want a motor cop to smell my exhaust and then pull me over.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i don't live in Cali and even i know you can't run around with cats cut off.

When cats are removed i have been told there is a very distinct gasoline smell. The best thing to look into is a system with Hi-Flo cats built in.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Beside the obvious of what was posted above, why both removing the cats to get what 5 more hp and a slightly different tone. That is a lot more risk then reward, especially in California.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:20 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

You also might have problems with the car throwing codes due to them being removed. O2 sensors etc. I'd leave them alone.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Catalytic converters are much more efficient than the reputation they got from the early designs would have you believe (ask an older enthusiast about GM's 1970's-era pellet type converters sometime). There still is a tiny gain possible, but it really isn't worth the risk or the hassle. Trust me, swapping exhaust system parts for one day out of the year (or however often inspection is) gets old fast even if you are willing to take the risk the rest of the time.

Norm
Old 03-07-2009, 01:10 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I've had an off road pipe for several months now and I'm already tired of the exhaust smell. I only went this route for the increased sound level and not so much for performance. I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop for exhibition of speed but he let me off with a warning and I'm sure he probably noticed the smell but didn't say anything about it. Anyway, I'm going to get some high flow cats when I have time and extra money.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I've had an off road pipe for several months now and I'm already tired of the exhaust smell. I only went this route for the increased sound level and not so much for performance. I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop for exhibition of speed but he let me off with a warning and I'm sure he probably noticed the smell but didn't say anything about it. Anyway, I'm going to get some high flow cats when I have time and extra money.
Hi-flow cats did help clean up the smell and sound. I think they are a good addition to prochambers.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:19 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Wow. Funny how many people the smell bothered. Maybe mines different but, the only time i smell it is if im idling somewhere. Ive never smelt it while on the move...

Quick Reply: should i keep my catalytic converters?