MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Want to tune my car, don't want to buy a tuner (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/522666-want-to-tune-my-car-dont-want-to-buy-a-tuner.html)

ThaiCobra 03-07-2009 07:07 PM

Want to tune my car, don't want to buy a tuner

Just bought a C&L CAI for my 2007 GT and I want to put it on.

It requires a tune and I don't have the money for a tuner.

Where do I go to have it tuned? (I live in GA)

(This might be a stupid question, I just assumed that if you want to tune your car, you need to purchase the tuning device)

jz 03-07-2009 07:10 PM

You will need to purchase a tuner in order to tune your car. Each tuner only works on one car at a time, so you can not take it somewhere to have it tuned, or use a friends tuner (in case you had that thought).

Nuke 03-07-2009 07:15 PM

Using a friends tuner would require the friend to return HIS car to stock.

A tune for your car requires custom tunes written by someone and provided on or to be loaded on a tuner. Most of the vendors provide 3 tunes with their combos (CAI & tuner) but I assume they'll provide tunes with the tuner alone. The tune changes various engine operating parameters that you CANNOT change on your own, even with a tuner in hand.

Do NOT install the intake without a new tune.

rford426 03-07-2009 07:37 PM

quit being cheap and buy a damn tuner...everyone else with a intake did

Mishri 03-07-2009 07:44 PM

I thought a custom dyno tune doesn't require a purchase of a tuner? I'm not sure what you'll pay for a custom dyno tune but I'll bet its close to the cost of a tuner.

moosestang 03-07-2009 08:21 PM

Where do you people get the money for the cars? Put it on a credit card.

gman73 03-07-2009 08:26 PM

I think it may depend on the shop on weather a tuner is needed or not. I don't have a dyno tune, so I am not to sure. I would still get a hand held tuner. You may be able to find on your local craigslist. That's were I picked up my diablo for $175. The reason why I suggested local is because if the previous owner didn't turn it back to stock because he or she forgot or didn't know how, then it will be easier to contact him or her. Besides if you change gears or tire size, you will need a tuner to make adjustments.

white07 03-08-2009 04:52 AM

correct me if im wrong but when you got get a custom dyno tune the tuner will use YOUR handheld tuner.

mygt500 03-08-2009 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by white07 (Post 6006862)
correct me if im wrong but when you got get a custom dyno tune the tuner will use YOUR handheld tuner.

correct or the one you buy from him!!!!!:D

abarker8541 03-08-2009 09:37 AM

well you are going to need a tuner. even if you were to go to a dyno you would have to have a device that reprograms the e.c.m. +1 on craigslist or ebay man. without a tuner i wouldnt install that cai. dont let the excitement of more ponies get you man. yes a cai and tuner is nice but if it ruins your car or your wallet then its pretty much not worth it. the biggest thing you need to focus on especially in todays world is the ownership mod. just my $.02