Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB 06-9-9 Hesitation on acceleration after long cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:13 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Default TSB 06-9-9 Hesitation on acceleration after long cruise

Not sure if I found this TSB listed here or another forum, but after doing some Google searching for an unusual issue I've been experiencing with my '06 V6, I sure found an answer. TSB 06-9-9 "Hesitation on acceleration after long cruise" sure fits what has happened to me about 3 times in the past month or so now.

I've only owned the car about 2 months now and didn't take my first lengthy highway cruise until about a month ago. After driving about 80 miles, I exited and came up to a full stop at the stop sign. When I accelerated, my car almost stalls in the intersection and then takes off like normal (kept my foot depressed). I found that a bit discouraging, but kind of shrugged it off to maybe bad gas or just a rare misfire.

A couple weeks after that, I take another highway cruise out about 30 miles and exit. I stop at the stop sign and accelerate... the car barely starts to go then .... poof... it misses/hesitates and my reflex reaction this time caused me take my foot off the pedal at the moment of hesitation and the car dies with half my car out into the intersection. Fortunately no traffice was coming from any direction and the car started right back off and I just drove on like nothing happened. This time, I shrugged it off, but said to myself... if it happens just one more time... off to the dealership.

It was just so odd that the two times it happened, the circumstances were essentially identical. Well, today.... it happened a 3rd time! Identical circumstances... lengthy highway cruise... come to first stop.... accelerate.... cough! I kept my foot in the gas and the car grabbed and lurched forward and kept running just fine afterwards. But it is Saturday night and the dealerships (service centers) are closed by now and so I decided to research it more while waiting for Monday.

Well.. if TSB 06-9-9 doesn't fit my situation to a "T".... then I am not an excessive, lengthy, rambling forum posting type of guy either... lol. [8D]

I'll be seeing the dealer Monday (or Tuesday if work just keeps me from the chance on Monday) and I'll post back here the results. Bottom line... Ford first has to run a diagnostics that rules out any issues aside from the fuel pump. Then they have to replace the fuel pump module with a new part that resolves this problem (which has to do with air bubbles forming in the top of the fuel pump during a long cruise at highway speeds, etc.).

I also noticed while searching Google earlier that in some forums (maybe even here?) some '05/'06 GT owners with this issue were stating that it is related to the GT only. The TSB just says "2005-2006 Mustang" and my symptoms match this perfectly. Again, I'll let you know by posting back in this thread after I've seen the dealership. Yes.. this is covered under Ford's warranty.

It's just a big relief to 99%+ know the answer to this issue going in. Stops a whole lot of potential BS being tossed my way (although some may still try... lol). I am very looking forward to having this problem fixed! It can really be unsafe!

Outside of that ... I love my ZenStang! [8D]
Old 07-30-2006, 12:53 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TSB 06-9-9 Hesitation on acceleration after long cruise

Ha...Mine is in the shop as we speak for that same TSB... I brought the car in and told them there was a TSB for "hesitation upon acceleration after a long cruise." The guy looked at me like I was talking japanese, than replied, how do you know about this TSB. I just smiled and said, cause I do my research on things you refuse to fix or tell me about. He just gave me this face like, "Oh ****." He immediately wrote up the paper work and I was on my way.

He told me they would have to give it to the "driveability dept" to make sure that's the problem. I told him there is no way the're taking my car on a "long cruise" without me being there. He said no we dont even drive it. Kind of strikes me as odd on how they can figure out this problem without driving it. Anyway's I took it on friday, they dont have the fuel pump in stock so it will be there monday, and who knows how long after that my car will be there. So now I'm a whole weekend + without my car.........F-ing Ridiculous. IMO
Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

The TSB itself tells them to run some sort of diagnostic to "isolate" the problem to the fuel pump issue. The rest, although unmentioned in the TSB HAS to be relied upon as the customer's word when the problem is described. Yeah... they are not going to cruise my car to test it out.. and besides, it doesn't happen every single time even under "long, highway cruise" circumstances.

I paid to subscribe to the Ford TSB's for 72 hours so I could print out this "official" TSB and carry it with me when I see the dealership. hehe! Cost me $9.95 (but ya hafta agree not to reproduce the stuff exactly or something like that, so I am not going to quote the thing word for word here). But there ain't much to it either. I just hope they do what they are supposed to do with no fuss is all. This issue has me bugged and I want it fixed before someone rear-ends me or broadsides me when my car stalls in an intersection.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:04 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Yea, he told me if they cant find it they can't reproduce they wont fix it. I told him okay, so when I get rear ended I'll just sue and buy everyone I know a sportscar by a company that will stand behind there product and listen to their customers concern especially when it comes to my safety.

They should have no problem fixing it, especially if you walk in there with the official TSB, they won't think twice because they'll know you mean business and your not just some idiot off the street..

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:51 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I think they will deal straightforward with me and take care of it. I'm fair, polite, friendly, uncomfortably accurate and infinitely stubborn in dealing with customer service issues to my satisfaction.... hehe!

I should have a chance to drop by after a meeting tomorrow and see what's up. I doubt they'll have the part in stock, but I am going to a particular dealership here in Houston that appears to deal heavily in their Mustangs.

I'm just so happy I found what appears to be the solution to this before having subjected myself to all sorts of BS in the process.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Took Mustang to the dealership today for service. Described my symptoms, mentioned that I researched it online which led me to Ford's own TSB listings where I subscribed for 72 hours and printed this.... handed her copy of Ford's own, official TSB printout. She read it silently, looked at me and said, "OK" (with a positive, friendly tone) and asked for my keys. Should be ready tonight or by lunch tomorrow.

I'll post back the results. I'm hoping they're just too busy to fool with any BS and that they go straight for the TSB recommended course of action (and of course my complimentary 25 point check, etc.).

Until she's ready, I'm now driving a rental.... 4cylinder Mazda 3...... ouch!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:44 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Welper, perhaps this is a very rare issue after all, I dunno.

Update: The dealership had my car overnight and called me this morning. They of course tried to replicate the issue but could not (I suspected as much). BUT.... fortunately, my service rep did not want to argue this and refuse further service. They agreed to order the replacement fuel pump module recommended in the TSB. Only problem is that there is not one in stock at this dealership, nor any dealership in Houston, the state of Texas or even the country (according to them)! They said it will take 2-3 days to get the part (not bad for one that seems to not exist anywhere?). They will call me when they have it and then install it.

At least for now I have my ZenStang back! It was cruel and unusual punishment having me drive a 4 cylinder rental (Mazda 3).

Since I started this thread and seem to continually update it... lol... I will post back up the conclusion when this is all said and done.

My theory is that many people won't experience this issue because perhaps a lot of folks don't need to drive long hops between cities as I do for my work? And even then, this symptom doesn't happen every time when the circumstances are replicated. But it does make me wonder if that is why the previous owner of this car gave it back, perhaps before anyone knew about this TSB? I wondered why I was so easily able to buy an '06 used with 943 miles when a couple of months ago it was hard enough to get one new. Oh well.. that's my ramble for now. [8D]
Old 08-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

Not unusual to have to order the part, my dealership had to as well. They didn't even bother testing my car, they just believed me which was nice for a change. Took me 4 tries to get Mazda to replace some brake pads on my 3 when I kept complaining about squeal in reverse. Turns out my pads were cracked. Wow. So the first 3 times you just didn't look then or...

Anyways this TSB has worked out quite well. I haven't seen the problem reoccur at all and I think (may be placebo effect) that the car is running a bit smoother than before under accel.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:31 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cowtown
Anyways this TSB has worked out quite well. I haven't seen the problem reoccur at all and I think (may be placebo effect) that the car is running a bit smoother than before under accel.
Glad to hear from someone who's done this and it seemed to work. But doggone, now I have the equivalent of a "post hypnotic suggestion" and will probably experience the same placebo effect. I'll try to be impartial and really see if I notice any difference in smoothness. I actually did notice a difference in smoothness, power and sound when I dropped in a simple K&N Filter (not huge differences, but notable). I like to think I'm "in tune" with whatever car I've had a while and can notice subtle differences.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:33 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Thankyou for passing on this info.My car hesitates more when it has been started first thing in the morning.It only does it once each day.I was in talking to the mechanic who works on my car(he installed my Roush S/C)...and they are going to fix (the TSB) related to the problem of filling the tank with fuel.
I also complained about my daily morning hesitation and he replied it was because the car was throttle by wire.Now that I know there is a TSB for that I'll get them to fix it.

Quick Reply: TSB 06-9-9 Hesitation on acceleration after long cruise