Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom Tubes or Loudmouths?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 PM
srahimi

Default Boom Tubes or Loudmouths?

So I spent a bit of time this weekend watching youtube videos of boom tubes and SLP loudmouths and I can't quite decide. Probably because exhaust notes sound crappy on video and because I've never heard them in person. The impression I got is that the boom tubes were deeper and the loudmouths were more raspy and high pitched. Does that sound about right? Anyway, I'm kinda stuck. I'm looking for a deeper sound but also loud when you go WOT. What do you guys think? Or do you know of any videos that give an accurate depiction of the actual sound? Thanks!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

im in the same boat as you, but i seem to hear more good things about boom tubes

also just to add on to the thread, how loud are boom tubes? The seem not much louder then stock but loud enough to make a fairly big difference. Im looking for something that wont get TOO much attention from cops if i keep it under 2k rpm, but that still sound sweet.

Last edited by Shadow7874; 03-09-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

from the outside, nothing sounds better than boomtubes. i've heard SLP's from outside and inside, many times, and they sound...........pretty good. but hearing my car pull away from the outside for the first time, i was shocked at how damn good it sounded. its a sound that really makes you sit up and take notice, and say wow, that car sounds really nice. thats why i chose them.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Take a listen to my vid. Its pretty accurate. I didn't want my car too loud but at WOT its louder to satisfy that urge and then if you want to be a bit quieter get off the gas some. It never irritates on a long drive because at a steady throttle position its pretty quiet. I have taken off from a light beside police cars on several occasions and I was careful on the gas and got away without getting pulled over. Its kind of the best of both worlds.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:42 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

^that clip is very accurate. for some reason, videos taken of boomtubes make them sound airy, raspy, and just not good. most cameras don't capture the real sound they make, but that clip does it better than most.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Generally, LoudMouths sound fantastic as long as you've got the stock midpipe.

I love my SLP's. They sound awesome at WOT, yet quiet enough for my subdued neighborhood if I don't get on it. Boomtubes have resonating perforations inside the pipes whereas the LoudMouths are just smooth pipes. This is the key difference. LoudMouths are a little more raw and a tad louder whereas the Boomtubes have a more evened-out sound as evident in wingman's video.

Both are excellent choices. I feel like the love for SLP's isn't represented well enough here haha. I was on a cruise with 20-25 (mostly highly modified) Stangs yesterday, and 3 of us had LoudMouths. They're pretty popular because they're pretty awesome.

Here are mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPCUa7zjEE Watch in high-quality!
Start-up tone is very similar to wingman's video, but it's in the revving that you can hear the difference.

Last edited by East87; 03-09-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
srahimi

Hmm I'm still on the fence here. I know that boomtubes are a bit cheaper but also a pain to bend the hangers to make them even. I'm kinda leaning toward the boomtubes but I think I need more input.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

i had the loudmouths not bad but not good, i actually prefer the resonators, look the same but sound a lot better, and they are, i believe, only $130 from AM
Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Loudmouths are great, i have a pair. I love the sound they make. However, loudmouths are only really great for people looking to leave the rest of the exhaust stock.

I went with them because it will be a long time before exhaust work gets done on my car, and i wanted it to sound good but without any work really. The loudmouths did that great.

You couple them with anything else other then stock and it's gonna be annoying. So if you dont want to upgrade exhaust for a long time then those would be a great choice, however if you planning new headers or midpipe, i def would not go with SLP.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
Generally, LoudMouths sound fantastic as long as you've got the stock midpipe.

I love my SLP's. They sound awesome at WOT, yet quiet enough for my subdued neighborhood if I don't get on it. Boomtubes have resonating perforations inside the pipes whereas the LoudMouths are just smooth pipes. This is the key difference. LoudMouths are a little more raw and a tad louder whereas the Boomtubes have a more evened-out sound as evident in wingman's video.

Both are excellent choices. I feel like the love for SLP's isn't represented well enough here haha. I was on a cruise with 20-25 (mostly highly modified) Stangs yesterday, and 3 of us had LoudMouths. They're pretty popular because they're pretty awesome.

Here are mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPCUa7zjEE Watch in high-quality!
Start-up tone is very similar to wingman's video, but it's in the revving that you can hear the difference.
there was only 3 with LM's? i could have swore there were more then that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boom Tubes or Loudmouths?