Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm the dumbest owner on this forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
FormerNYer

Default I'm the dumbest owner on this forum

I celebrated my car's first birthday by hitting a curb with my right-front tire.

I took a chunk out of the side wall of the tire as well as the rim.

Can I get the rim refinished somehow? If not, how can I be sure I am getting an authentic Ford rim from the Internet?

I appreciate any help you guys offer.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Sorry man, thats sucks :/

How big of a chunk? Usually you can't, but depending on the size, you maybe able to fix it. You will need to replace the tire as well (for safety).

About the ford rim - I am not 100% sure, however I think it would have a ford logo on it somewhere.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What wheels do you have? You might want to check with a machine shop first. It might be cheaper to pick-up 1 used wheel, though.

I bought a set of used SVT GT500 rims off ebay and they were fine. Just check the seller's feedback, I suppose.

No, you'e not the dumbest. The real Darwin award goes to the guy that drained his oil, figured he'd help it drain since it was taking too long and flushed his engine with hose water with the engine idling. Seized up shortly during his "flush". Now THERE'S a dimwit.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

i did the same thing to my 08. 2 weeks after i got it while in atlanta with some friends for a show. took a piece out of the tire. and a nice lil bit out of my wheel. i work at a dealership in nashville and we have a guy that comes on site and fixes curb rash and other wheel problems and he looked at mine and said $40 to fix it. the only thing it wouldnt have is the lil lines that come from the machine when ford cuts the wheels. oh well. def gettin this done before the 45th anniversary show in birmingham. in a few weeks. also gettin the remaining swirls off the doors and 1/4 panels.
good luck with gettin the wheel fixed.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
AutoPartsCorp
Banned

Originally Posted by FormerNYer
I celebrated my car's first birthday by hitting a curb with my right-front tire.

I took a chunk out of the side wall of the tire as well as the rim.

Can I get the rim refinished somehow? If not, how can I be sure I am getting an authentic Ford rim from the Internet?

I appreciate any help you guys offer.
Thats no fun atleast you didn't mess anything else up
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
What wheels do you have? You might want to check with a machine shop first. It might be cheaper to pick-up 1 used wheel, though.

I bought a set of used SVT GT500 rims off ebay and they were fine. Just check the seller's feedback, I suppose.

No, you'e not the dumbest. The real Darwin award goes to the guy that drained his oil, figured he'd help it drain since it was taking too long and flushed his engine with hose water with the engine idling. Seized up shortly during his "flush". Now THERE'S a dimwit.
haha thats one stupid guy lol..
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

Hitting a curb isn't dumb. Its just having a bad day and an unfortunate event. I do remember reading somewhere someone changing their oil and screwing the drain plug back on, using red loctite. Was he not ever planning on another oil change?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

Eh....A lil Gorilla Glue and your good to go lol JK. Sorry about your luck.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

LOL yea the pour guy that flushed with water got the idea from someone on here, the guy was joking and said be sure and flush the motor out with the waterhose before you put the oil back in...the guy didnt get the sarcasum, so be careful when you give out advice and dont asssume the person on the other end knows you are kidding...
Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I gave the advice... Now what?
I did screw up and should have mentioned the use of a pressure washer to the guy, for a more thorough job you know

Oh and OP, you will need an alignment as well (no sarcasm).

Quick Reply: I'm the dumbest owner on this forum