Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 rear badge removel

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

Default 07 rear badge removel

Hi has anyone removed the rear gt emblem, i need help removing it the new one is oem and it has 2 clips, how do i get to the clips, please help.. Before you start telling me to do a search I have and there is no real answer,
Thanks for any help
Javier
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Found this in another forum:

Originally Posted by Cledus
It is not just glued on. there are two pins on the underside of the badge (left and right of center) that slides into to keepers on the trunk lid. Make sure when you loosen the adheasive that is holding the badge on tightly, that you carefully work your way around the badge as you slowly apply some leverage. Too much leverage on the top and bottom and the badge will warp slightly, causing a gap in the final fit when you put the badge back on. Apply most of your pressure on the left and right sides. Be prepared to buy a new one if it gets warped. $35 to $40 if memory serves me right.

Take note of the direction of the pin keepers that sit in the holes on the trunk lid. You need to place them back on the trunk in the same orientation as they came off. If I remember right, they should go on so it looks like a backwards "C" with the gap facing left.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 AM
southernmustangparts
Former Sponsor

The instructions above will work fine.
It's really not too bad. Just use a rag if you use a screwdriver to work the cap loose. Make sure you don't scuff the paint

We have sold a bunch of custom painted ones and none of our customers have experienced any issues.

The front grill pony emblems are a little different story! The retainer clips always break off on those but the custom painted ponies come with new pins.

If you haven't seen these yet check them out... Some really nice looking designs!!!

To see them visit us at www.southernmustangparts.com or just click below
http://www.southernmustangparts.com/...igns-m-29.html

Thanks!

Ken
Old 03-10-2009, 06:29 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

honestly, it's not too bad getting the emblem off as it is the double sided tape that's holding it on..and the clips in the middle are not cliped in on the car, they are only used to align the emblem for placement.

for removing, I just used fishing line. Separated the emblem from the trunk from all 4 sides, then used a plastic putty knife & a rag to ensure I didn't scratch anything. From there, I tried using goo gone, but it didn't help much, so I just used my fingers to rub the tape off...after debadging the whole car, plus replacing the rear wing, the rear emblem was the worse (at least on my car)
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Its very simple to take it off, the hard part is getting that damm glue off it leaves behine. I used a plastic tool to separated the emblem from the trunk and all I had to do was to push it under from two diffrant angles and it just poped right off but, it left all the glue in place. (As in, all the two sided tape was on the trunk and none of it was on the back side of the badge). After that is just a LOT of scraping, picking and rubing with Goo gone are any other sticky remover you got. After you get it all off rub the area down with rubbing alcohaul to insure you have a nice clean area to mount your new badge too.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 03-10-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

I just removed mine for some "modification" last weekend. I set a small space heater on top of my grabage can about 6 inched away from the emblem for about 1/2 hour then took some line off the spool of my weed wacker. I then wrapped the line around two pieces of 1x2 I had laying around and stapled the line to the "handles" of my newy created garrote. I then used this to saw back and forth behind the emblem. With the heated adhesive and the sawing motion, mine popped of rather easily. I then used pressure from my fingers (nice blisters) to remove the adhesive from the car, followed by some goo-gone to clean the surface. Hope this helps

BTW, the "pins" that hold the embelm to the car slide into two plastic "sleeve-like retainer thingy's" (similar to a anchor mount for a screw in drywall). The black retainer thingy's actually go into the holes in the car and then are forced to expand a little when the pegs from the emblem go into them holding and centering the emblem snugly against the car with the aid of the adhesive.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 03-10-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

Man thanks for your help guys these are very good tips I will work on it today and post pictures when I replace it. I actually bought a new one for $20. on ebay and had it professionally painted all black I think it looks amzing I cant wait to see it on the car.
Thanks again guys,
Javi...
Here you go all done the clips are only guids to line up the badge.
Before:

After:

Last edited by Javdog; 03-10-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
southernmustangparts
Former Sponsor

Looking great!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

xsouthern i just pm'ed you