Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT vs Nissan 370z

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
That compression you speak of is Nissan's way of ridding itself of what was otherwise 2 useless seats and transferring that into near 50/50 driveabilty...
Are you seriously gonna make a comment following up everyone who doesn't like the 370???? Everyone's got an opinion, and I think we've got yours pretty much nailed down. Not everyone is looking for the same thing in a car. And not everyone is gonna like the styling on the same car.....there's just no way. I think the 370 is a pretty good looking car, but I wouldn't replace my GT with one in the driveway. Guess I'm just a V8 guy through and through.....but don't hold that against me.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Are you seriously gonna make a comment following up everyone who doesn't like the 370???? Everyone's got an opinion, and I think we've got yours pretty much nailed down. Not everyone is looking for the same thing in a car. And not everyone is gonna like the styling on the same car.....there's just no way. I think the 370 is a pretty good looking car, but I wouldn't replace my GT with one in the driveway. Guess I'm just a V8 guy through and through.....but don't hold that against me.
That's you're prerogative...V8 be damned it is the lesser car. I like what I like:-)
Old 03-15-2009, 03:13 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
That's you're prerogative...V8 be damned it is the lesser car. I like what I like:-)
So do we.......which was my whole point. But you insist on being abrassive about it because we don't prefer what you do.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Besides what`s coming off of my keyboard right now, show me abrasive. And I ask that in the most unabrasive way I know...
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I agree that most people won't cross shop this car as they are arrows aimed at different targets. The Mustang GT, a true pony car, aimed at the everyday man or woman that wants high performance in a fun package. The car has never claimed to be in the category of the Vette which has always been deemed the gentlemans sports car. Even though a mustang can be made into a formidable track star for relatively little money, it will never lose its roots, which is an affordable powerful car that can comfortably cruise the strip or rip down the strip. I would like you all to notice one huge fact. Ford started this retro pony car revolution who's success has spurned GM to revive some historic pony cars of their own. The Challenger and the Camaro are coming into the game after years of the original pony car did in the 60's and here again in the 00's and one thing has always stayed true. The GM cars were always heavier which was fine in the 60's when iron was as cheap as water. But now, with how customers perceive performance and how they like modern technical bits and creature comforts, GM still follows its golden pony car rule, make it heavy but put a big motor in to compensate. Park a mustang next to a challenger and the pony car looks puny. We already complain about how piggy our stangs are and the GM debuts are tipping the scales at 4,000+ lbs.

Datsun/Nissan has always made a light car that focused on handling rather than raw power. However, they listened to their customers, which have the same desires as us, by improving the power and handling of their sporty car with the 350Z. Unfortunately or fortunately the car's performance/handling numbers classified it into a sports car category by the automotive media. I have to applaud Nissan for making the 370Z significantly better than its predesesor. I personally didn't like the looks of the 350Z but I think Nissan actually copied Ford's retro recipe just enough to modernize the 370Z but throw in enough classic 240Z/280Z to make me appreciate its heritage. What Nissan has done with the 370Z is everything we want Ford to do with our cars. Make a bit smaller, lighter, more powerful, improve the interior, improve the gearbox, improve the suspension and put a proper wider tire in the back. The 370Z accomplishes this and hence the automotive media is singing its praises. Unfortunately, the media is treating the new Z with the same bias as they do the BMW 3 series, pitting it against better more expensive cars and while it gets outperformed in all measureable categories, still proclaims the new Z the winner due to price or drivebility or some subjective crap. I mean they say it is a Porsche Cayman S at half the price.

With that said, I have cross shopped these cars along with the M3 of yore, GTO, and dare I say the new Hyundai genesis coupe (which will claim to be our next rival due to hp and price point). I will admit I don't bleed Ford blue, I bleed performance. My first car was a Firebird, then an Audi S4, now a Mustang GT. Yes I grew up dreaming of owning a 70s muscle car but I also have a desire for german precision. My next car could be a new GT500, BMW 135i, Corvette, 370Z, Lotus Exige, ???.

I commend Ford for listening to what its custormers are doing with the mustang and I think the track pack is a great idea.

Discuss.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'll take the Mustang thank you!
It's still cheaper to mod and its body shell is more protective than any mid size Yapanese mobile in the event of a crash

And I'm glad it's still cheaper.

Last edited by pascal; 03-15-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:43 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I d take the stang any day and save the foreign stuff for the anti -Americans!