Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear blackout panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Ohiostate.......I stuck the panel to the side of my fridge ....and than took out my wifes hairdryer. After about 5 minutes of heating it the panel flattened out. I also chose to do put the panel on when it was about 40 degrees....but if it was warmer it would just mold right on.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

save yourself the money, and go with that $20 vinyl blackout

thats what i paid for mine, and installed it myself

very easy, just take your time

Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The vinyl can be a little tricky in that area, but its not that big of a deal. I'd recommend transfer tape for that particular install.

I bought the magnetic one from American Muscle a few weeks back, and its a flaming pile of crap. It came so tightly rolled up and I had it stuck to the fridge for 2 weeks, and when it finally flattened out (sort of) enough to try and install it, the edges were all rough looking from being rolled up. It looked terrible so I peeled it off and its currently residing behind my toolbox in the garage after it got forcefully removed and thrown, lol. I see other people saying they like theirs, so maybe I just got a bad one or something, IDK.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 AM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

I have the Vinyl type on my car and had no problems with it peeling up, it does attract alot of dust but Im sure the entire back of the car just gets more dust in general. I am having mine taken off and having a stripe painted on very soon though.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OhioState87
07heat & matt07GT, how did you manage to get the rolled up magnetic panel to lay flat? Does it lay perfectly flat? Is it smooth? The reason I'm asking is because I bought one and to be honest, I think it looks like complete $H1T! It's be over 3 weeks and it's still not "perfectly flat". It looks lumpy, for the lack of a better term, and you can definitely tell it was rolled up.
Did you just put it on 3 weeks ago, b/c if you did in the colder weather it probably will continue to look like crap until we get a few warmer days. The idea that someone had about sticking it to the fridge and using a hairdryer would probably help out a lot.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joolander
save yourself the money, and go with that $20 vinyl blackout

thats what i paid for mine, and installed it myself

very easy, just take your time

That's exactly what my neighbor had when I had my magnetic one, it looked so much better. I was almost ready to order one myself but then I found a used SHR panel for $100 shipped here.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ato
Did you just put it on 3 weeks ago, b/c if you did in the colder weather it probably will continue to look like crap until we get a few warmer days. The idea that someone had about sticking it to the fridge and using a hairdryer would probably help out a lot.
No, I haven't put it on at all! It's been in my house while I've tried to get it to lay flat. I've even tried the hair drier and it honestly did nothing. American Muscle even RMA'ed me a new one, and it looks terrible too. I think I'm just going to send them back and get my money back and buy a vinyl one like Joo suggested or even a SHR panel.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Get a vinyl one! They are cheaper (under 20 shipped) and they take about 30 minutes to put on. Once they are one, you dont have to do anything else to them. They also look really good. I did mine in vinyl, so did my father in law and sister in law. We all have the same vinyl blackout and they all look just as good!

Go for the vinyl, you will like it, its a lot better than the other options. It looks like its painted on!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

I've had a vinyl blackout on mine for about 2yrs now. First had a gloss black, shortly after changed out to a flat black. Just wet it down well when you install & take your time. One of the best bang for buck appearance mods I've done on mine.
Attached Thumbnails Rear blackout panel-dsc04171a.jpg  
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I bought my magnetic one from American Muscle as well. I absolutely love mine.

It did come rolled up but I bought mine in the summer and all I did was lay it out in the sun on a hot day for about an hour and that's all it took. I waxed the heck out of the trunk panel ( I think 2 or 3 applications) and have only cleaned under it about 3 times in the year and a half I've had it on there and when I've taken it off it's always been very clean under it. But each time I just apply more wax before I put it back on. Still no scratches anywhere on it

Last edited by red07Pony; 03-12-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear blackout panel