Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

apply oil to cai filter after cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Default apply oil to cai filter after cleaning

I just finished letting my filter dry after cleaning it, how do you know when you have enough oil on the filter? I bought the k&n cleaning kit and have the c&l filter. How red is the filter supposed to get? Same as when I got it brand new? I oiled it once already but not sure if I used enough oil.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I cleaned my Steeda filter (blue) with the kit about 2 weeks ago and asked the same thing. I never really got a black and white answer so I gave it a light coating and let it absorb, then a 2nd. After letting that coat absorb, it didn't look blue enough so I hit it a third time. Since my filter has a metal screen on the inside and outside, I couldn't really blot any excess. I let it sit in the sun on a window sill for a day or 2 to try to get any excess to flow to the bottom but there's a lip on there so any excess won't go anywhere so I tried it on its side. Still didn't get much excess. After wiping it down I installed it and started the car but I haven't driven it anywhere (it's not my DD) so I'll keep my fingers crossed. My next trip I'll just be sure to carry the right sockets and contact cleaner in the event I throw a CEL.

Is that enough gray area for ya'? LOL!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:07 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I sprayed mine twice already. The outside cage is pretty oily, but the filter doesn't seem to have any excess. The inside cage has no oil at all. I was just wondering how bad it is if you don't oil them enough? The filter is kinda red, but not near as red when I bought it. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I can't recall the company that makes the cleaning kit (B&K Filters?) but their website has replacement filters. Although I couldn't find an exact match to my Steeda, it was close enough. You might want to consider buying a "spare" so you can rotate filters while working on the one being cleaned.

Don't sweat it if you throw a CEL from contaminating the MAF. I used to do it all the time with my Amsoil oiled drop-in filter in my old SUV. A few shots of contact cleaner after a little disassembly and all was well.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

This car is not my dd so it can sit for a while. I bought some brake cleaner to clean the maf, haven't got around to it yet. The car is actually still in storage as we speak, just want to get it ready when I do take it out.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Dont overoil it as your MAF will go bonkers and start setting DTCs.
The best method is to use a new filter 50-75,000 miles (a dirty
filter traps more dirt than a new pristeen clean filter) then
chunk it for a new factory oiled filter.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

2 coats is fine. I have k&n filter w/ oiler and it gets red. You can see a difference between the middle of the filter and the outer edges. But 2 coats is fine.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Does yours get as red as it was brand new? Mine is red, but its just a little less then it was new.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

No, it'll never be as red as it was new. Even after I cleaned mine..it still had a dirty/darker red color to it. And...they're right...over oiling is bad. A nice light coat, let it sit, then apply another light coat to any areas that didn't change color.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Ok, then mine should be good. what happens if you don't oil it enough?

Quick Reply: apply oil to cai filter after cleaning