Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waste of time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

when i traded my 07 gt in for my 08 gt i had 30k miles on it and the ford dealer i traded with gave me 18k a 1k more that what i owed. i cant tell you not to trade, since i have traded twice for 3 mustangs. but i always made money on my trade and no negative equity is the only way i would trade.
good luck with your decision. i say if you have the money, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

If you want to get rid of black to reduce the visibility of paint chips, dirt (depending on the kind of dirt of course), salt, etc then I'd say get white. Of course I don't like grey cars anyway. They have a lower visibility due to them blending in with the grey road, foggy weather, etc. Plus they're dull and uninteresting. Sorry to those who have grey. I just can't stand them.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:16 AM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
when i traded my 07 gt in for my 08 the ford dealer gave me 18k a 1k more that what i owed. i always made money on my trade
You never make money on your trade when dealing with a dealer, after you consider what you paid for your 07 minus the beating you took from the dealer. Its hard to consider that making money...you LOST a years worth of payments and the down at least. With the price of the new stangs coming down, it also makes your trade worth less.

There are a lot of new '08s out there still, my dealer has a new Bullit with a 32K sticker on sale for 24K, and I imagine you could still do better.

Have you considered a 2-tone repaint? Maybe go with silver on the top, that would help with the up-keep and not show the dirt so bad...
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yeah even if I were to get this silver 09 it would constitute a loss of my down payment and the money I've put into the loan. 10 grand. I only have 10 left to pay on my black one.

Ever just had something happen that gets you pissed off at your car? Like you stop looking at it like it's cool and it suddenly becomes a ****ing POS? That's kinda where I've been the last week. I just want to get rid of the thing. Between the trials and tribulations of dealing with the black finish and the screwy wheel hop issue I just want one with no problems from the get go. One that only I have owned. A new one seems the only way to get that at this point. It's what I should've done from the start. And the 09s have fewer stupid little issues like the spark plug TSB for instance.

My friend is helping me with the wheel hop problem this weekend but if I don't hear good things from him and it ends up being a case of "weird, maybe buy these parts and it MIGHT fix it" then I'll be tempted to do whatever it takes to start over.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabberorange1
You never make money on your trade when dealing with a dealer, after you consider what you paid for your 07 minus the beating you took from the dealer. Its hard to consider that making money...you LOST a years worth of payments and the down at least. With the price of the new stangs coming down, it also makes your trade worth less.

There are a lot of new '08s out there still, my dealer has a new Bullit with a 32K sticker on sale for 24K, and I imagine you could still do better.

Have you considered a 2-tone repaint? Maybe go with silver on the top, that would help with the up-keep and not show the dirt so bad...
i will agree with you. i lost the $5k i paid into the car for the year i owed it. but i havent put a down payment on the last 2, so i didnt lose that. my mom works for ford credit and i get a-plan, so that is $1k less than what the dealer paid for it. so i get $4-5k off msrp anyway from the start plus all incentives and rebates at the time.

Last edited by shoeys08dkcandygt; 03-13-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

How bout an 04 cobra?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Worthy of consideration except that I don't like the shifter on those cars and the s197 (IMO) looks better.

I've never bought a new car in my life. If I do go ahead and try to get the 09 then it may be the only one I ever get. Am I losing something out of life by never having bought a new car? Seems like it might be a cool experience. That is, if you can swallow the expense and losing money on the trade.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I'm not at all a fan of silver but that's a personal decision. To answer you question, I think you should be able to get it for MUCH cheaper than they're asking. Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose by asking. Good luck
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

According to NADA that car has an invoice of $29,047 after destination fee and options. They are asking $31,265 - sticker.

Getting them to sell the car for $27,000 and give me $17,000 on my trade is extremely doubtful. I don't see how they'll make any money.

Oh well. Sorry for wasting everyones time. I won't bother calling the dealer back then. The only reason they would like me to stop by and check out my current car is so they can try and talk me into spending the extra money needed to do this. You know, the "Cmon! You're going to walk away from this car over just another grand or two??".

Yep.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

I would hold on to what you've got. I know you seem kinda set on starting fresh with a new car but have to say i dont recommend that. So far I think the best thing for you to do is to save some money for the GT500 as mentioned above. The other thing that comes to mind is to spend some money and give it a lil bit of a new look whether it be a whole new paint job, 2 tone, or anything else you like. Go for the glass roof. Have not scene a GT with that before.

Quick Reply: Waste of time?