Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with aftermarket sound systems...please enter..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
One thing that was important to me was not to put any holes in the car. I did end up having to drill four holes through the bracket behind the seats, but I lined them with rubber grommets and no one will ever notice they were added should I remove the system down the road. No other modifications were made to the car at all, save shaving the nub on the firewall grommet.

Tim
Both setups you posted are nice...although I prefer the one with the two kenwoods vs the floor setup....mainly because I don't like the HUGE sub box even though its beautiful.

I was thinking of this.

What if I kinda did something like your Kenwood setup, but instead of having a board that shows off the amps, just have a few holes with fans pulling air in at the bottom and exhaust at the top and have everything hidden?

Thats what I was thinking. How many fans you think would be needed for two amps?

JL 450/4 and 500/1?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:10 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by david01130
heres mine

I really hope those subs are aimed at an angle. If that are facing right at eachother then they are just cancelling each other out and I bet if you unhooked one and ran 1 by itself it would sound louder. You're not supposed to point subs at eachother.

On an other note, where did you get those sweet boxes?

And to the OP, I mounted mine to the back seat. It's simple, easy and it works. My box isn't even a custom fit box and has so decent size to it, and I can still fit a whole shopping cart of groceries in it :-)
Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
I really hope those subs are aimed at an angle. If that are facing right at eachother then they are just cancelling each other out and I bet if you unhooked one and ran 1 by itself it would sound louder. You're not supposed to point subs at eachother.

On an other note, where did you get those sweet boxes?

And to the OP, I mounted mine to the back seat. It's simple, easy and it works. My box isn't even a custom fit box and has so decent size to it, and I can still fit a whole shopping cart of groceries in it :-)
The back seats feel so flimsy to me... So you say the support the weight of the amps fine with no tearing or signs of "its-going-to-fall?"
Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
Both setups you posted are nice...although I prefer the one with the two kenwoods vs the floor setup....mainly because I don't like the HUGE sub box even though its beautiful.

I was thinking of this.

What if I kinda did something like your Kenwood setup, but instead of having a board that shows off the amps, just have a few holes with fans pulling air in at the bottom and exhaust at the top and have everything hidden?

Thats what I was thinking. How many fans you think would be needed for two amps?

JL 450/4 and 500/1?

I've always run my amps without any extra cooling with NO problems. My last setup I was running 2 Alpine types Rs with 2 600 watt rms Alpine mono amps(1 for each sub) Both amps were very close to each other and in a pretty tight place. Run that setup for about 2 years, then I damaged 1 sub while moving it out of my old car and getting it into my Mustang so I sold the amp, and now I run 1 of those subs with 1 amps. It's been about 3.5-4 years i've had these and they are still going strong. You should be fine without the use of extra cooling. Since you're talking about JL, if you haven't already bought your equipment. They sell a 13" sub in a custom enclosure for the Mustang.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1551
Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

The back seats feel so flimsy to me... So you say the support the weight of the amps fine with no tearing or signs of "its-going-to-fall?"
I have slammed the **** out of the seat with the amp attached and that thing isn't going ANYWHERE.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:35 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
I have slammed the **** out of the seat with the amp attached and that thing isn't going ANYWHERE.
Interesting...I will look into this.

I love that JL stealthbox but it is like $1000......and I can't find it anywhere for a "deal."

I am actually in the process of fabricating my own fiberglass enclosure to "copy" the stealthbox.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:00 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking of this.

JL 450/4 and 500/1?
Or you could mount the amps on the inside, behind the seats on the board all by themselves. You would not be sandwiching the amps between two boards and would not need to worry about fans at all. Everything would be 100% hidden from the trunk and behind the seats. It would be totally secure and look as clean as could be!

Tim

Last edited by tdbrown75; 03-14-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Kevin197

I mounted a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the back of the passenger side rear seat for the amp.

For subwoofer, I built an enclosure using plans from JL Audio. For instance, the discontinued 12W6 model has a pdf that includes enclosure plans on JL Audios website.

I bolted a sort of L shaped 2x4 stud to the right side trunk floor. There are existing places in the body of the trunk to bolt to. I then screwed the subwoofer enclosure I built to the 2x4 stud and installed the 12" subwoofer. I trimmed about 1 foot off the right side of the spare tire cover.

It has worked great for 4 years on my 05 GT. I think I used toggle bolts to attach the plywood to the back rear seat. 4 holes in back of rear seat and trimming a foot off the spare tire cover.

Last edited by Kevin197; 03-14-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:09 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
Or you could mount the amps on the inside, behind the seats on the board all by themselves. You would not be sandwiching the amps between two boards and would not need to worry about fans at all. Everything would be 100% hidden from the trunk and behind the seats. It would be totally secure and look as clean as could be!

Tim
You make a good point.

People are saying Air flow is not a huge issue. So you think that if the amps were mounted on your style "Main Board" behind the seats, that they would receive ample air flow to not overheat?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kevin197
I mounted a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the back of the passenger side rear seat for the amp.

For subwoofer, I built an enclosure using plans from JL Audio. For instance, the discontinued 12W6 model has a pdf that includes enclosure plans on JL Audios website.

I bolted a sort of L shaped 2x4 stud to the right side trunk floor. There are existing places in the body of the trunk to bolt to. I then screwed the subwoofer enclosure I built to the 2x4 stud and installed the 12" subwoofer. I trimmed about 1 foot off the right side of the spare tire cover.

It has worked great for 4 years on my 05 GT. I think I used toggle bolts to attach the plywood to the back rear seat. 4 holes in back of rear seat and trimming a foot off the spare tire cover.

I had considered something similar with amp mounting. But I like your sub enclosure mounting idea. I will have to scope this out.

Quick Reply: Those with aftermarket sound systems...please enter..