Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I almost killed Taco Bill...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Default I almost killed Taco Bill...

So I was getting ready to do my CMCV delete kit. Since its a pretty simple project, I was feeling confident, etc. I decided to get on MF at the last minute for a second opinion and read Taco Bills "how to" for CMCV delete kit. Well, I learned something I didn't already know. The torque pattern and torque setting for the bolts was in there. So I wrote on my notepad 89 ft-lbs & the tighten pattern. I thought 89 was kind of high but, TB is usually spot on and I figured if it was wrong then somebody would have corrected the post, etc. Sure enough...SNAP!!!!. I broke a bolt off in the block. It was the first one. Right side center bolt (the ones that are really hard to get to). After dropping a few F-bombs, I was ready to look up TBs address and...............I decided to read his post again. It was 89 in-lbs (or 11 ft-lbs).

I decided to leave it there and finish the job to see if it had an impact. Nothing visible but, I'll keep an eye on it. Luckily it's the center bolt on the opposite side of the fule rail from the injectors so, I can't see how it may go bad. There are 2 other fasteners on each side of the broken bolt. Since they're under air pressure only and have the green gaskets I figure it will be fine.

Amazingly, there are no issues (thus far). I figured I wouldn't even feel the difference with the CMCV delete but, I do. I'm not sure if its the tune or the CMCV but, there are definately a few more ponies under the hood. I would recommend this mod. Its cheap, easy and there is noticeable power. Just take your time, do your research and pay attention to detail i.e. in-lbs vs. ft-lbs.

If anybody wants to chime in on my broken bolt issue, please do. I'm curious if there will be future issues.

Cheers!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

i thought you literally almost killed taco bill...if you kill taco bill im killing you hahah
\good luck gettin that out btw although he is like a god he is still human i guess good luck again
Old 03-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Whats the kit even do? and is there a downfall to it? I suppose it would be best to search, but im assuming you know alot about it by now, or where i can find good info.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

TB is my hero...I have done many small things to my stang thanks to his write up. As a matter of fact, I used his write up on Steeda LCAs to install my set yesterday....no issues....
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

lol this is why it's best to remain
anonymous when giving tips on forums,
you never know what might happen....

so taco is in the clear and you got the
project finished, pretty much a happy
ending for everyone.

Originally Posted by clearym

I was ready to look up TBs address
Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Taco is the man and MF.com loves the info and how -to's he has contributed to the forum. There would have been a man hunt for you if you did try to kill the Taco!!!!!

Glad the install is done! in/lbs is drastically different then ft/lbs.....glad it was only one bolt
Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

I didn't use a torque wrench when I installed mine.
I just torqued the bolts in the order specified and to the torque I felt comfortable with.
A year and a half later, no problems. *knocks on wood*
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You honestly thought 89 ft lbs was ok?
Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

hahahahahahahah... 89 ft lbs. jesus christ.m I just did my front suspension upgrade and the front spindle to struts were 148 ft lbs. good lord, I cranked that f-er down lol.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 03-14-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Sorry for laughing bro but damn, that's a lotta torque for intake bolts. good info on the CMCV plates though... I may get some before my next tune for emissions. I may even pony for a larger TB. If this new C&L aluminum intake would ever emerge I won't need CMCV's...

Quick Reply: I almost killed Taco Bill...