Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In what order would you get these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:25 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Really depends on what your going to do with the car. Seems heavy on suspension mods so it looks like your headed for track time? I'd say finish the suspension, then motor and finish with appearance. JMO. Good Luck these car scream to be modded.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
True that, Eagle. I would only put on that eH2O pump if it was a track **** and he had already done pretty much everything else. I wasn't really thinking about the viability of the mods, just the order. For $330, I'd rather pick up some Steeda X5 ball joints and a bumpsteer kit. That's just me.
Just throwing it out there, something to think about for him. I'd hate to be sitting somewhere high and dry because I wanted every last drop out of my car, and I have a lot of mods lol. How would the ball joints/bumpsteer benefit? I'm new to suspension
Old 03-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Well the ball-joints wear a lot faster when you lower our cars because they aren't designed for that sort of alignment. When you put in the X5 joints, it raises the Roll Center of the car back to original spec, while slightly lowering your center of gravity. It's also just a preventative mod that will only help keep you from breaking or wearing out parts instead of potentially leaving you on the side of the road. If he is considering track time, those stock ball joints will wear especially fast. Most people don't really need them, but for those that want to be sure that their suspension is aligned as well as possible, they're a huge plus.

The bump-steer kit is also for alignment purposes. When your car is lowered, the wheel will toe-in and toe-out as it travels up and down and will make you feel like it is sort of steering itself. The bump-steer kit fixes this problem and will make the steering more responsive and make you feel more in control and involved in what the car is doing.

These are little things that add a little more refinement for those who already have the major suspension components, which I, personally, would prefer over the eH2O pump.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

mgw shifter then rims then go into your shocks and springs and stuff like that
Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all the different suggestions.

My goals are to have a more balanced street car that feels at home on the road course. Having it look different from the factory is also a plus.

My plan was to group the springs, shocks, strut mounts at one time. I don't know about the sways as there is no advantage of have the springs out during installation.

The exterior would be in one group too, tint, CDC classic chin, and Agent 47 mirrors.

The wheels and tires could go on whenever but I still haven't found the perfect rim.

I would like to get the MGW sooner than later.

I guess the mounts and CMCDP which requires a tune will be last along with the seats as they are expensive.

I just don't know if I should work on the exterior or suspension this spring.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:16 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UrS4
Would you rather drive better or look better doing it? Only you can decide that.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Good lord, that's a long list! You've even got speed bleeders thrown in there lol. Here's my input.

Mods that made me the "happiest"/made me just want to get in my car and DRIVE the wheels off it:

Wheels/tires - going to 18x9.5's and 275/40 - 305/35 DR's made so much difference in the way my car handled, reduced understeer etc it's not even funny. Wheels and tires gets my nod as your first upgrade, no doubt. Never underestimate the importance of lighter weight wheels and nice fat tires.

MGW Shifter - another mod that makes driving sooo pleasurable is the MGW shifter. like heaven lol.

Suspension - I just upgraded my suspension with Steeda comp springs, D-specs, steeda HD strut mounts and UMI performance LCA's and adj panhard. This is the way this car should have come from the FACTORY! omg.. I don't want to get out of my car now. HUGE improvement. You'll want to do struts/springs/shocks/upper strut mounts all at the same time. Panhard is not required (at least not with the mild 1''f/1.4''r of the steeda springs). I purchased it just in case and plan to swap out most of the other parts in the future.. but the panhard was not "required" in my case.

CMCV plates, electric water pump, strut tower brace - don't even think about these things yet. The HP gains are so small that it's not even worth the trouble and the S197 chassis is so stiff that the upper strut brace is cosmetic only.

Prothane motor mounts - some folks like to say that these aren't needed etc but after installing mine the car put power to the ground better and shifting is much better. I think they are a GREAT mod. That's IMO and it's debated. Personally I would like to remove all the hydra bushings from the car. NVH doesn't bother me at all... hell, I have near solid motor mounts and cams...it's shake and bake baby lol.

Aftermarket seats - I've researched replacing both my seats and steering wheel and to tell you the truth, Ford installed so much computer controlled BS (airbags, seat sensors etc) that it would be a huge pain to swap out either. I hate the stock steering wheel and would love to replace it but the airbag light would be incessant (unless you removed the bulb) and I've seen schematics for disabling all the seat electronics. It would be tough.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

With what you already have done, which is substantial, go with so sizzle. Wheels/Tires (Don't worry, there is no perfect choice.) Then chin. Then springs. The shifter is up there too. I have the Hurst but hear nothing but good stuff about teh MGW as well.

Gotta love black GT's. As long as we can keep'em clean.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'd do it the way you listed it
Only I put new wheels first and decide on Steeda springs afterwards.
In case you find the ride too stiff etc...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
Texotics is all good advice, I can't say that I recommend an EH20 pump for a DD car though. If you do I hope you run a few safety things for it such as a coolant temp gauge and a warning light that will let you know if the pump dies.
I would not recommend it for a DD either
Originally Posted by UrS4
Thanks for all the different suggestions.

My goals are to have a more balanced street car that feels at home on the road course. Having it look different from the factory is also a plus.

1.My plan was to group the springs, shocks, strut mounts at one time. I don't know about the sways as there is no advantage of have the springs out during installation.

3.The exterior would be in one group too, tint, CDC classic chin, and Agent 47 mirrors.

4.The wheels and tires could go on whenever but I still haven't found the perfect rim.

2.I would like to get the MGW sooner than later.

5.I guess the mounts and CMCDP which requires a tune will be last along with the seats as they are expensive.

You sound like a true road course fan...those mods will change the whole feel of the car and get the power you have now to the ground....JMO
I numbered the ones you could do first based off this response!

Quick Reply: In what order would you get these mods?