Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i run NO2 on a stock V6?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

They have kits for the button you describe from "gone in 60 sec" but the switch IMO should be somewhere you cant arm and use that readily.....ask mikeysgt about it and others that run NOS. I know they have protective cover over it or in a spot that is not as easy to just arm and use unwittingly......JMO (cupholder or on dash below the skipper-console)
Old 03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I've got a NX Express plate system that will be going in next month when I have all the required accessories for safe use. I'll need purge, window switch, new plugs, remote bottle opener etc etc. The main kit was $800 and I'll have put another $1k into it after all is said and done. Or I may just sell it... not sure I like that fact that I'll have to run a colder plug and lamer tune 99% percent of the time (when not spraying) to be completely safe. And then the options are so damn expensive... by the time I have everything it will be $2k+ invested. Decisions, decisions... nitrous is cool but I'm not sure I shouldn't just sell the kit and put that towards a centri s/c.

If you get nitrous, you probably won't be happy with a 50-shot and will start upping the ante and then it gets expensive.

TX_zstang - when are you guys with AAS going back to little river? I'm the guy with the alloy stang that pulled up a few weeks ago and we chatted for a bit. I'm ready to make some runs.... pm me.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 03-16-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Red Beast
yea i meant NOS, hmm, i thought it was illegal to even have one in ur car. how much should it run me to get it installed? could a performance shop show me how to work it, cause i really dont know to much about them. Wered u put the switch for urs JimC? i thought about having them install it in my steering wheel by my cruise control, but i have seen the shift *** from gone in 60 sec that said "go baby go". that had a button on it, but i dont know if it is a usable button.

Actually "NOS" is a trade name, like "kleenex" or "coke" or "Zex". The gas product is nitrous or N2O. The use of "nos" (or "nawz") for nitrous was popularized by the fast and furious and ricer crowd after the movie came out.

Installation of the Zex kit is very simple, you can do it in one afternoon for the install. When I did mine last summer (I didn't realize you hadn't seen the nitrous install Jason) a performance shop wanted $500 to do it - but I decided to simply follow the Zex install directions and it was simple.

A typical bottle is a 10 lb bottle, and the nitrous runs anywhere from $3.50 to $4.50 a pound. A lot depends upon where you are and where you fill it. You can get from 6 to 10 passes at the track with a 75 shot and 10lb bottle.

One thing with nitrous is you don't want it to spray at too low in the RPM range (like below 2500). To avoid that and the problems it will cause, get a window switch which blocks the signal and won't let the solenoid fire the juice until your engine hits the right RPM (mine for example is set so that the window for nitrous doesn't open until 2600 rpm). Once that nitrous hits you will be hooked on it!

I have my switches mounted in a Speed of Sound LLC cupholder plate. The upper left is nitrous arm, lower left is the purge button, upper right is the bottle heater, and lower left is the line lock button.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
JimC

You will want a pressure guage on the bottle - in this picture my pressure is too low, cold night and I was testing out my bottle heater (it moved up from less than 600 in 15 minutes) Ideally you want pressure at 950 or so.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
JimC

Here the Zex nitrous management unit is on the right on the air box and the Zex window switch is on the left. All of the wiring is hidden in plastic loom covering (and I think I'm going to cover the nitrous lines going to the CAI to stop them from rubbing anything).

And Jason, the area is dirty I know in this picture!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

dude, you have a pretty sweet setup, instead of having the pressure guage back there, do you think i could get some pillar mounted gauges for it?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

OP..your motor is not a pushrod motor rarrr. over head cam haha.

And a lot of people are safe running 75 shot

and nitrous kits are extremely illegal in CA. For police and smog.

You can do a lot to hide the system from the law but not from the emissions inspection.

Put black loom around the lines, wires, anything that can be covered. Then tape, zip tie, shrink wrap everything to look factory. The nozzle can be hidden as well and you should paint it black before installing. The best type of system would be a wet system i would probably venture away from dry systems despite what people say.

It can be tucked away quite nicely with a little time and effort and a can of black spray paint.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:31 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Red Beast
dude, you have a pretty sweet setup, instead of having the pressure guage back there, do you think i could get some pillar mounted gauges for it?
Thanks, you can get a gauge inside the cabin - and there are some that pull a signal from a unit under the hood at the solenoid. One thing I would not do is run a nitrous line into the cabin to a gauge - not good if your line leaks at the gauge.