Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i run NO2 on a stock V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Default Can i run NO2 on a stock V6?

hey, i was just curious if i could run small shots of NO2 on my stock V6. i dont want to blow the engine and was just curious if the engine could handle some. i know most bottles are adjusable from like 35-150hp, and i thought i might be able to run small 40hp shots out of my engine without blowing out pushrods or anything. the No2 is just some temporary boost until i get my supercharger. and does anybody know of a place near anaheim ca that would install some with no questions asked? thanks guys
Old 03-16-2009, 02:20 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You could run a 50-75 shot no problem!
Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

really? didnt think i could go that high. most dealerships and normal places wont install this for me will they? and were would i go to get a tank filled? and weres the best place to hide it in our S197's? ive only been pulled over once in the 2 years ive had my stang, and i got outa it so im not worried to much about the cops, but u never know when my luck will run out.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
JimC

I run a 75 shot - but you need to get tuned for it to run nitrous safely. As far as hiding the bottle, it is pretty big so unless you take out the spare tire and mount it there I don't think you can hide it.

For under the hood, there are ways to do a "stealth" install, the lines can be hidden as well as the nozzle. Hiding the solenoids (or the Zex nitrous management unit) are a little more difficult. You can cover the lines with plastic covers so they look like regular under hood lines. I didn't hide mine, they are out in the open. As long as the bottle isn't hooked up on the street and turned on you shouldn't have a problem.

The Zex kit is very easy to install yourself. The bottle can be filled at many performance shops.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 AM
agp

How much does it cost, usually, to fill the smallest bottle? And how much volume does the smallest contain?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM
acmike
1st Gear Member

The OP might want to look into N2O instead.

N2O = Nitrous Oxide

NO2 = a non-existent compound, or at the very least a typo, but since he repeated it half a dozen times, I assume he was just mistaken on nitrous oxide's chemical formula.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acmike

N2O = Nitrous Oxide

NO2 = a non-existent compound, or at the very least a typo, but since he repeated it half a dozen times, I assume he was just mistaken on nitrous oxide's chemical formula.
NO2 does to exist. It's nitrogen dioxide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide
Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The stock pistons on the 4.0L don't like nitrous, but running small amounts of boost with a good, safe tune is doable. Again, and as mentioned, you need a good, safe tune!

You'll like the supercharger better though
Old 03-16-2009, 04:51 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Red Beast
really? didnt think i could go that high. most dealerships and normal places wont install this for me will they? and were would i go to get a tank filled? and weres the best place to hide it in our S197's? ive only been pulled over once in the 2 years ive had my stang, and i got outa it so im not worried to much about the cops, but u never know when my luck will run out.
go to a performance shop and get the install done...have them tune it on the dyno too for safety! it can handle a 50-75 shot no problem IMO
Originally Posted by JimC
I run a 75 shot - but you need to get tuned for it to run nitrous safely. As far as hiding the bottle, it is pretty big so unless you take out the spare tire and mount it there I don't think you can hide it.

For under the hood, there are ways to do a "stealth" install, the lines can be hidden as well as the nozzle. Hiding the solenoids (or the Zex nitrous management unit) are a little more difficult. You can cover the lines with plastic covers so they look like regular under hood lines. I didn't hide mine, they are out in the open. As long as the bottle isn't hooked up on the street and turned on you shouldn't have a problem.

The Zex kit is very easy to install yourself. The bottle can be filled at many performance shops.
Congrats JimC..when you get NOS? and the cops wont bother you if you store the NOS in the trunk (safety reasons too) and if you get pulled over OP they can only ask about stuff in plain site...its not against the law to have NOS
Originally Posted by acmike

N2O = Nitrous Oxide

OP I assume meant NOS not N20
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

yea i meant NOS, hmm, i thought it was illegal to even have one in ur car. how much should it run me to get it installed? could a performance shop show me how to work it, cause i really dont know to much about them. Wered u put the switch for urs JimC? i thought about having them install it in my steering wheel by my cruise control, but i have seen the shift *** from gone in 60 sec that said "go baby go". that had a button on it, but i dont know if it is a usable button.

Quick Reply: Can i run NO2 on a stock V6?