Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ran over a rock: bent rim, pierced brake line

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
hybrideater

Unhappy ran over a rock: bent rim, pierced brake line

So, the other day I was driving on a local expressway going 45MPH (the speed limit). As I was changing lanes, I noticed something on the very edge on the lane. At first glance, I thought it was just a bag or something in the road. It turned out to be a flat river rock about 12 inches in size. Keep in mind that this was in the shadow of the overpass above. I hit it and instantly felt like I just popped my tire. Turns out the rim is bent and the brake line is pierced. I had it towed to the Ford dealership and they are inspecting the rest of the car to see if everything else is ok. I'm sure the alignment got completely screwed up.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Chrisdr
1st Gear Member

Damn, sorry to hear. It's a good thing you are okay, and hitting the rock didn't cause an accident. Good luck with the repair.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

wow, that stinks. umm, welcome to mustang forums i'm sure thats now how you wanted your first post to go.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hybrideater
So, the other day I was driving on a local expressway going 45MPH (the speed limit). As I was changing lanes, I noticed something on the very edge on the lane. At first glance, I thought it was just a bag or something in the road. It turned out to be a flat river rock about 12 inches in size. Keep in mind that this was in the shadow of the overpass above. I hit it and instantly felt like I just popped my tire. Turns out the rim is bent and the brake line is pierced. I had it towed to the Ford dealership and they are inspecting the rest of the car to see if everything else is ok. I'm sure the alignment got completely screwed up.
This is why I avoid EVERYTHING in the road... whether it be a plastic bag or an old fat lady.

*edit* I forgot to include the exception of Cats... I F*cking HATE cats...

I kid I kid! lol But seriously, I don't like cats, and a few of them have tried to commit suicide by diving out in front of my car at the last second.

Last edited by acarzt; 03-16-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM
hybrideater

Originally Posted by 5SPD07GT
wow, that stinks. umm, welcome to mustang forums i'm sure thats now how you wanted your first post to go.
Thanks, and no I didn't want that to be my first post haha.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Well, assuming you still have stock rims, now you have an excuse to upgrade rims and get stainless brake lines That does suck, though.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Feel for you man.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

sorry to hear that, but hey, im sure you probably made that rock ur bitch so u shoul get a little stress outa it. was the rock 12 inches high? or just lengthwise? cuz if it was a ft high, then wtf is that doing on the road? what kinda wheels u rollin on? how bad have you bent them?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
Well, assuming you still have stock rims, now you have an excuse to upgrade rims and get stainless brake lines That does suck, though.
+1

Even though this may have sucked, look at the upside, chance for 4 new rims/tires if you desire. New brake lines as well.

If you can't afford new rims all around mabye put just new rubber all around and then upgrade rims at a later date and reuse the new rubber. Just a thought, but this could turn out well.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Red Beast
sorry to hear that, but hey, im sure you probably made that rock ur bitch so u shoul get a little stress outa it. was the rock 12 inches high? or just lengthwise? cuz if it was a ft high, then wtf is that doing on the road? what kinda wheels u rollin on? how bad have you bent them?
River rocks are those oval dark colored rocks, that look flatish. There mabye 1 inch tall but they can be huge around, i would imagine a huge one like OP hit would do some damage, esp after you hit it and it flys under your car.

Last edited by cegha; 03-16-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
hybrideater

Originally Posted by cegha
+1

Even though this may have sucked, look at the upside, chance for 4 new rims/tires if you desire. New brake lines as well.

If you can't afford new rims all around mabye put just new rubber all around and then upgrade rims at a later date and reuse the new rubber. Just a thought, but this could turn out well.

Edit:

River rocks are those oval dark colored rocks, that look flatish. There mabye 1 inch tall but they can be huge around, i would imagine a huge one like OP hit would do some damage, esp after you hit it and it flys under your car.
Call me crazy, but I actually like the stock bullitts. Yes, that's the type of rock that I hit and I made it my bitch. Only problem is the bitch hit back.

Quick Reply: ran over a rock: bent rim, pierced brake line