Upgrading from shaker 500. Need help! - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from shaker 500. Need help!

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Upgrading from shaker 500. Need help!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Dont know if this is relevant or not but I have heard the fron 5x8's are much better speaker's than the ones in the rear.

Some day I plan on swapping out the fronts for aftermarket ones, and putting the nicer stock front in the rear.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wicked stang View Post
i have a pioneer flipout and all my speakers and the door subs sound awesome. speakers could be louder but they are clear.
you just have to mess with the eq settings in the headunit. make sure that you turn the bass all the way down so that your speakers dont get any bass and you can mess with the subs settings in the headunit until they sound good. i can tell you my exact eq settings if you want, just let me know.
Dude,i have messed with everyone of the settings. I can get it to sound pretty good, and the bass sounds decent, but i cant turn it up much or it gets really fizzy and sounds horrible. Your eq settings would def help man, ill check them out. I have the sub featured turned off and no bass booster.

Originally Posted by thedrod View Post
I think you will need a sub in the trunk regardless.

I chose to use the midbass speaker location because it was there. It is not required. I have had great sounding systems with only 2 speakers in each door, not 3.

Are you wanting to power everything off your headunit or do you plan to get an aftermarket amp for the front doors as well?

I think CutterWolf is right that the door subs aren't bad speakers. Are you sure yours are still connected? You said your system did not have as much bass as before. You should try messing with your head unit and basically put your ear right next to them to see if they are doing anything. A filter is required for aftermarket radios on these speakers because the shaker amps require 5v to turn on instead of 12v. Some lazy installers just disconnect the speakers and hope you don't notice. I did not install my head unit when I first got it, but the installer put the proper device on to allow me to use the Shaker door subs. When I did the rest of my install and pulled out the head unit I removed the filter because it was no longer needed.

If it were me and I wanted to spend the least money:

I would first determine if the factory 8s are working.
If so I would just change the 6x8 speaker and install a set of components in the doors. Lots of companies make good 6x8s with separate tweeters, and you can get adapters to fit 5.25" speakers in the 6x8 location. But then you would need a small amp to power them properly. I simple 75-80w rms x2 amp would be fine. Then do whatever you want in the trunk. The L7 with 750w would be more than enough. Let the shaker amps power the 8s.

I would buy speakers off Ebay from a retailer with high feedback. I got my infinity 50.9cs set for $120 brand new vs $249 on crutchfield.

EDIT: Also refer to my first post, and the previous post by wicked stang about the Head Unit treating the 8s as if they were subs.
Im going to go to the place i got it installed at right now and have them check that out, because my factory shaker system sounded WAY better than this..

Also, im shooting you a PM for some detailed info if you dont mind.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 AM
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

the sub feature should be turned on so the door subs can work. but the bass should be turned all the way down because that is bass to your speakers which you dont want. the sub feature will turn on the shaker 500 amps.
ill post up my eq settings tom., what headunit do you have?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

the sub feature should be turned on so the door subs can work.
+1 This confused me at first, but its true. If it is setup correctly (wiring and such) turning "subwoofer" on should enable the 8s to work as subs.

Anybody have any photos of the screens on the pioneer to change this setting for the Original Poster?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405 View Post
Dont know if this is relevant or not but I have heard the fron 5x8's are much better speaker's than the ones in the rear.

Some day I plan on swapping out the fronts for aftermarket ones, and putting the nicer stock front in the rear.
To add info on this....the front and rears are 6x8 size. Not to be confused with 5x7 and 6x9. Also there is no 5x8.

The front 6x8s are a combo speaker with a 4 inch mid speaker and a tweeter. The rears are standard oval 6x8s.

I am attaching pics of the fronts for everybody.

Searching my memory, I don't think the fronts can just be "swapped" into the rears very easily. and I think its due to the plastic housing the fronts are in, which the rears are not. Refer to pics of fronts below. You can compare these photos to your rear speakers by looking in your trunk.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading from shaker 500. Need help!-factory_door_speaker.jpg   Upgrading from shaker 500. Need help!-dscf3720.jpg   Upgrading from shaker 500. Need help!-dscf3718.jpg  

Last edited by thedrod; 03-19-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

One of your screen says subwoofer on, then the last one says its off.

Which is it?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Subwoofer is on right now, still not much improvement. This new deck is SUPPOSED to sound better than just the shaker500 right?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

the sub feature should be turned on so the door subs can work. but the bass should be turned all the way down because that is bass to your speakers which you dont want. the sub feature will turn on the shaker 500 amps.
ill post up my eq settings tom., what headunit do you have?

Alright cool, i have the AVH-P4000
Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

It was alot simpler when all we had to do was put the 8 track into the slot. I get a headache reading these posts! I replaced my 97 F 150 head unit with a simple kenwood head unit. It takes me three days to figure out how to adjust the time. I still can't figure out how to search of scan channels. I set the channels up once, and now they will be set until eternity. Now I know where they get the guys to maintain these B2 bombers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading from shaker 500. Need help!

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.