Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18x10s all around, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

I agree I would like to see pictures as well 18x9s vs 18x10s on a mustang

And yes that is very true, just worried about 18x10s in the front and the whole following in the grooves thing but as my current summer rims which I'm trying to sell they are 255/35/zr20s but that ruined my suspension here in NJ with all the potholes (having it replaced by ford for free under warranty surprisingly) so I would like to get 18s with a decent amount of rubber so that it looks. Preferably more than what comes stock on a mustang or roush.

Is it possible? what size fits without rubbing from experience?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

if you want to keep the tires the same all around i'd stick with the size Roush uses, 275/40/18. If you want to stagger sizes you can go a little bigger in the back but i'd keep the 275/40s in the front.

Here are some pictures of mine. These were taken right after i got the wheels and the fool who had them before me was running 255/45/18s all around which really isnt wide enough for these wheels. Also was before i put the eibachs on. Running Roush rear springs in these pics...

Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

oh wow yeah they look really nice, I will most likely do that. Thanks.

Now I just need to figure out a brand of tires to get, won't do Nittos since thats what I current have and dislike.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Tramlining... So That's what that annoying thing is called. Definitely annoying but now that I know what it is I couldn't care, I can still corner like a fiend.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Whoever said you cannot run 18x10's all the way around is full of complete B.S.
Whoever said it will look goofy is full of complete B.S. as well.

I have ROUSH 18x10's all the way around and I do not come CLOSE to rubbing and it looks great. No handling problems either.
Tire size? 275/40/18

Too bad I just found out yesterday that one of my ROUSH wheels is bent.
I am now having to ditch them and replace ALL my wheels because of this fact.

I can buy 4 normal prices wheels for ONE of the ROUSH wheels and I do not want to EVER run into this expense again.
So now I am going to have to find the same size wheel with the same offset.
Or a wheel a tad smaller that I can still use these tires on.

I need a question answered though...
If I get say a 18x8.5 or a 18x9 wheel... will I need a bigger or smaller offset for the wheel not to rub on the front?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 03-19-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

275/40 is a proper fitment on 18 x 9.5" wheels. Just get wheels with about the same offset as the GT500 wheels (45 mm). If 10" wide x 45mm wheels fit, you probably have about 5 mm leeway either way (but check the clearances you have now to be sure).

OP - handling will change less if you keep all four wheels the same width than if you go more wider in the back. Steering response will be a little better with 10's than with 9's, at least up toward the limits of tire grip.

Appearance is a valid reason for choosing a wheel design, but not for choosing the spec's that determine how well it either fits or functions.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-19-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
275/40 is a proper fitment on 18 x 9.5" wheels. Just get wheels with about the same offset as the GT500 wheels (45 mm). If 10" wide x 45mm wheels fit, you probably have about 5 mm leeway either way (but check the clearances you have now to be sure).

OP - handling will change less if you keep all four wheels the same width than if you go more wider in the back. Steering response will be a little better with 10's than with 9's, at least up toward the limits of tire grip.

Appearance is a valid reason for choosing a wheel design, but not for choosing the spec's that determine how well it either fits or functions.

Norm
What about this talk of our stangs only taking 18x9 up front?
Like I said mine did fine with the setup I had but I bought them as a package from ROUSH.
They were 18x10 with a 45mm offset.
But they gave no backspacing number and told me on the phone they could not find it.

Would I need the same backspacing as well?
Again.. if I did go with a 18x9.5 what offset and backspace would I need with it?
And what about a 18x9? Would these tires fit that size ok?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
CruizinConcepts
Former Sponsor

I thought I knew a little something about wheels and tires. LOL........... I've been doing it for God knows how long......18x10 will absolutely work no doubt....Like I said that is my favor setup... That is a killer deal that I quoted you....

Anybody else need wheels and tires just PM me and I'll take care of you......
Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
What about this talk of our stangs only taking 18x9 up front?
Unless the offset is way wrong (like maybe trying to use SN95-offset wheels), just noise and nothing to worry about.

Like I said mine did fine with the setup I had but I bought them as a package from ROUSH.
They were 18x10 with a 45mm offset.
But they gave no backspacing number and told me on the phone they could not find it.
Backspacing can be determined fairly accurately from wheel width and offset. A 10" wide x 45mm offset alloy wheel has about 7.25" backspacing (the FRPP GT500 wheel has 7.13" b/s).

Would I need the same backspacing as well?
For the same width wheel, the same offset will give you about the same backspace (any difference being from the inside flange thicknesses of the two wheels differing slightly). For a narrower wheel, the same offset will give you less backspace, but as long as the offset remains constant, the tire will not move closer to anything.[/quote]

Again.. if I did go with a 18x9.5 what offset and backspace would I need with it?
45mm offset, give or take, and expect about 7.13" backspace.

And what about a 18x9? Would these tires fit that size ok?
That is within the range of mfr-recommended fit, although right at the narrow end. So it's legitimately do-able. But I know that I'd never go wider than a 255-width tire on 9" wheels if the choice was left entirely up to me.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-19-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Deleted.

Last edited by digitalcos; 03-19-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Deleted due to dumbassery.

Quick Reply: 18x10s all around, good or bad?