Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My belt popped off! help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Default My belt popped off! help!

So I'm driving along and my power steering went out. I'm about 1 mile from my house so I figured I'd limp home. About 2 blocks from home the battery light comes on and a warning that said "check charging system" so, I figured I had a belt problem. Sure enough, as I'm pulling on to my street the temperature rises and smoke starts coming out. As it turns out, the belt is off and a piece of it is frayed (side closest to the block). In order to get to the auto store I took the belt off, reversed it so the frayed part is facing the radiator and put it back on. I started it up with no issues and let it run to cool off. I want to let it cool further before going to the parts store so I figured I'd post. What could this be?

a) Did the belt fray and come off causing the temp to rise resulting in coolant spraying out or did the coolant leak causing the belt to slip and fray and pop off?

b) Has anyone had this issue?

c) I put Steeda UDP on 2 years ago but, haven't had a problem.

d) I had 40k miles on it 2 months ago so I changed the belt. The new belt is a GoodYear but, it has this cross-hatch pattern which I never saw before.

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks,
Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

check the pulleys for proper alignment and bearing operation, and the tensioner for proper tension. you may have just gotten a defective belt, or had it installed 1 rib off.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

How do you check pullies for alignment?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:26 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

just look at them and make sure that they are all paralell. and that the belt is tracking ok. i would make sure there isnt any coolant around the water pump area.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

pullies usually have notches or a dot to indicate a exact spot, when one is pointing up, all other pullies should be pointing in the exact same direction.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

I use to work in a parts store (I won't mention which one) anyway it is Not uncommon that a brand new part might be defective right out of the box/wrapper. Hope all's well with your ride.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:08 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
pullies usually have notches or a dot to indicate a exact spot, when one is pointing up, all other pullies should be pointing in the exact same direction.
I don't follow. If they're different diameters, how could they be pointing up all a the same time? while spinning?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

idk how it works exactly, but when my freind and i tore his car apart and rebuilt his engine we had to match up all the pullies with indicated dots...
Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
idk how it works exactly, but when my freind and i tore his car apart and rebuilt his engine we had to match up all the pullies with indicated dots...

i think you might be thinking of a timing belt. the pulleys dont have dots that have to be lined up.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

idk, it was my freinds honda... some asian thing i guess lol

Quick Reply: My belt popped off! help!