Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not your typical gears...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:08 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Default Not your typical gears...

Hey guys, just thought I'd show you something I've been working on in my free time. At work we have some polishers that are pretty awesome, we use them for cranks/rods/etc. Well a few of us have run other things through them since everything benefits from stress relief and lower friction as well as oil shed. I won't post any numbers since I don't have the sheets in hand, but the dyno gains I've seen from this are substantial so I decided to do my gears, let me know what you think!

Before:

After:

They aren't the best pictures, but you get the idea. If anyone would be interested in this, shoot me a PM.

Last edited by EagleStroker; 03-19-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

That looks very interesting. I remember you saying you had a little secret for your motor as to why you are pushing more horsepower, close to 400whp on lowered compression. Guess that's the secret! Lol
Old 03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Thats really cool. You should post them #'s when you get the chance. Too bad i'm looking at getting the 8.8 with the gears installed already.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO
That looks very interesting. I remember you saying you had a little secret for your motor as to why you are pushing more horsepower, close to 400whp on lowered compression. Guess that's the secret! Lol
One of the many my friend I'll definitely post numbers when they are in!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Is that walnut tumbling media I see?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Eagle, you think that'll cut down on gear whine? I'm curious to see if it would.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Is that walnut tumbling media I see?
I can't tell you what we use, but I can promise you its not walnut. In the first picture that's just Styrofoam from the packaging they came in.

Originally Posted by KLO
Eagle, you think that'll cut down on gear whine? I'm curious to see if it would.
Gear wine IMO is caused by the installation, not the gear itself. That being said, these could allow for things to not have to be quite as perfect.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

One last question, are you saying that the polished gears are makin big gains or the internals? I was under the impression you meant the internals but after reading the posts again I think you may be tlaking about the gears? I guess you can attribute some horsepower gains to oil shedding but nothing noticeable I would think... Could be wrong. Kinda like how knife edging a crank allows you to shed oil and rev higher.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO
One last question, are you saying that the polished gears are makin big gains or the internals? I was under the impression you meant the internals but after reading the posts again I think you may be tlaking about the gears? I guess you can attribute some horsepower gains to oil shedding but nothing noticeable I would think... Could be wrong. Kinda like how knife edging a crank allows you to shed oil and rev higher.
You gain from both, I didn't pull my crank to test vice versa, but a big block we did gained 28 hp. And if you've ever looked at a 4.6 crank from us, they are basically knife edged to begin with. You can take this for what it's worth: We did a Ford 9" rear chunk and gained 17 rwhp!?! It's unbelievable what reducing a little friction will do.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Talking

I just changed to 4.10s. I have my 3.31's in a box outside. Any pointers on how to get the stench off of them? (they smell horrible, I cannot even bring them in the garage) My will make me sleep with them if I do....

Quick Reply: Not your typical gears...