Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm committed to getting blown now!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 AM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blk05stang
Yeah I will definitely upgrade the LCA's at the least along with some nice fat DR's.

Did you install that Spec clutch along with the whipple or did you try using the stocker for a while? How did it hold out if you did?
I could be mistaken but I think I remember reading on this forum some time ago that if you are going to replace the clutch in anticipation of a supercharger you should do that before the supercharger install in order to give the upgraded clutch time to "break-in". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.......
Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I used the stock clutch when the car was at 8psi and I had no problems. Granted I only had 8k miles on the car when the SC was installed though. I didnt track the car or launch it real hard as I had the stock 235 all season tires on there.

I would say if you just want to DD the clutch is fine but if you want to be hard with it on DR's I would do the clutch is you have the money. If not just be nice for a while.

I reccommend you do the rear suspension CK stated. I have everything but the shocks and the car hooks really good.

You can do the clutch at the same time as the blower you just have to have really good self control to drive the car really slow for 500 miles. It would be a test of your will power.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
LOL -that was just funny.....look at you now!!!!!!!!!
hehe, well I figured if I had gone through all the trouble of installing gauges, that I basically HAD to get blown after that.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
Don't half-*** the suspension or you will regret it. Just do it right while it's there.

In addition to LCA - get a good upper, a panhard bar, and some better shocks back there at the least.
I have D-Spec shocks already. Aren't those good enough?

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
I used the stock clutch when the car was at 8psi and I had no problems. Granted I only had 8k miles on the car when the SC was installed though. I didnt track the car or launch it real hard as I had the stock 235 all season tires on there.

I would say if you just want to DD the clutch is fine but if you want to be hard with it on DR's I would do the clutch is you have the money. If not just be nice for a while.

I reccommend you do the rear suspension CK stated. I have everything but the shocks and the car hooks really good.

You can do the clutch at the same time as the blower you just have to have really good self control to drive the car really slow for 500 miles. It would be a test of your will power.
yeah I plan on putting on DR's and going to the track this summer a couple times so I will probably install a new clutch then. Don't know if I would have the will power to be easy on it for a while after the saleen install though. Maybe I should install the clutch first.

Anyone have any opinions on which clutch to get. I hear the centerforce dual friction clutch is just as light as stock and grips really nice to like 600rwhp. Anyone have this clutch? I need a soft clutch because my car is a daily driver and I'm sometimes stuck in Chicago traffic.

Last edited by blk05stang; 03-25-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

BTW I told a friend who owns a highly modded GT500 I was doing this today and he tried to talk me into trading my car in on a 2003 cobra with 20k miles and an F1 procharger making 650rwhp. Its for sale for 20k in my area. He took it for a test drive and said it was an absolute beast. Damn that is tempting and it would be cheaper than my saleen install. Just don't know if I want to go back to that body style.

Last edited by blk05stang; 03-25-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:05 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Congrats on helping the economy rebound! Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
Congrats on helping the economy rebound! Enjoy the ride!
Haha that's the way I see it, just helping out the economy!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

We all should help the economy and cont to mod no matter how small or how big the modification!....from something big like getting blown or just adding a gauge or 2 and minor suspension mods!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have D-Spec shocks already. Aren't those good enough?

yeah I plan on putting on DR's and going to the track this summer a couple times so I will probably install a new clutch then. Don't know if I would have the will power to be easy on it for a while after the saleen install though. Maybe I should install the clutch first.

Anyone have any opinions on which clutch to get. I hear the centerforce dual friction clutch is just as light as stock and grips really nice to like 600rwhp. Anyone have this clutch? I need a soft clutch because my car is a daily driver and I'm sometimes stuck in Chicago traffic.
My tuner says he likes them and has used them with the S197 stangs with great success. I like the RST Twin disk by Mcleod- 700+HP holding power and pedal feels like the stock one....keep the stock TOB or buy a new one from Ford if it needs replacing.
Yeah I will definitely upgrade the LCA's at the least along with some nice fat DR's.

Did you install that Spec clutch along with the whipple or did you try using the stocker for a while? How did it hold out if you did?
(just giving my impression as well)
The stock one for me held up for about a month and started to act "funny". I have not gotten a new one yet but have plans too. Some have read that after S/C install the motor has to be dropped some to clear the S/C itself (T/S type's only) for the new clutch to be installed. Many have not done the new clutch until after the S/C install......maybe the newer stang "modifiers" have learned from our past problems.... but the stock one can and should hold for a while if your not beating the hell out of it at the track or on the street.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
My tuner says he likes them and has used them with the S197 stangs with great success. I like the RST Twin disk by Mcleod- 700+HP holding power and pedal feels like the stock one....keep the stock TOB or buy a new one from Ford if it needs replacing.

(just giving my impression as well)
The stock one for me held up for about a month and started to act "funny". I have not gotten a new one yet but have plans too. Some have read that after S/C install the motor has to be dropped some to clear the S/C itself (T/S type's only) for the new clutch to be installed. Many have not done the new clutch until after the S/C install......maybe the newer stang "modifiers" have learned from our past problems.... but the stock one can and should hold for a while if your not beating the hell out of it at the track or on the street.
Thanks for the input. That RST clutch is really expensive, like 2-3 times more than spec or centerforce. Is it really that much better and is that what you are going to get?

I don't see why the engine would need to be dropped after a supercharger install to replace the clutch. If thats the case then all the more reason to get it done first.

Quick Reply: I'm committed to getting blown now!