Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SC and stock trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
you buy a 26 spline input shaft and a clutch made for it.
Not understanding much about the mechanics of the transmission - is it easy to replace the input shaft when you do the clutch upgrade?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I assume it would be, but I never did it so I can't be sure.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
How stupid would it be to get another transmission - like the TR-6060 (TUET 8175B - revision 2)
Its not stupid if you have the money, but it isnt necessary for anyone in the 450rwhp range.

And changing the input shaft isnt that hard. i kept the 10 spline because I wont be launching the car hard on slicks so i didnt think it was worth it. If I tracked the car often I would have done it.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Its not stupid if you have the money, but it isnt necessary for anyone in the 450rwhp range.

And changing the input shaft isnt that hard. i kept the 10 spline because I wont be launching the car hard on slicks so i didnt think it was worth it. If I tracked the car often I would have done it.
I plan on going beyond that range in a year or so (or once I pay off everything) and do the block. I just ordered it around a few hours ago and it will arriving @ JDM in around 3 days. I will be using a stock GT500 clutch and flywheel based on advice from JDM.

I really didn't want to do it, but the transmission will be resold so it will help me with some of the cost. Plus I am going higher HP later on, and the cost would be cheaper now that later due to labor.

From what I am told, this new one comes with a short shifter already in place (FRPP). The only issue (if any) would be the reverse gate, but they will possibly figure it out. It also comes with a aluminum driveshaft already which is really nice.

Also, I am going to "cash in" my warranty and my tire and rim protection. So I will get that money as well.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Kind of along these lines but I wonder how much a stock clutch plus flywheel would be worth if it has at least 75% wear left on it. Even worth selling?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Did you buy a whole transmission? I'm surprised you even bothered with trans related stuff now. Even at 450rwhp it sounds like most people are having luck with the stock transmissions. The car is going to be a handful at that power level let alone going forged and and pushing over 500.

Isn't this your DD? You're going to have SO much $ wrapped into this thing, I'd be afraid to drive the sucker and leave it parked anywhere.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Did you buy a whole transmission? I'm surprised you even bothered with trans related stuff now. Even at 450rwhp it sounds like most people are having luck with the stock transmissions. The car is going to be a handful at that power level let alone going forged and and pushing over 500.

Isn't this your DD? You're going to have SO much $ wrapped into this thing, I'd be afraid to drive the sucker and leave it parked anywhere.
After this mod, thats it for a long time. Yes it is my DD for now - but soon it maybe in races and etc so I am getting ready. I thank everyone so far for there help and information.

I am afraid to, but thats why the insurance is getting updated as soon as everything gets done.

Originally Posted by Riptide
Kind of along these lines but I wonder how much a stock clutch plus flywheel would be worth if it has at least 75% wear left on it. Even worth selling?
Its a transmission with a decent flywheel and clutch, who wouldn't want to buy it? Mine is going to be sold through JDM. The only catch is they get a %, but since I can't store it anywhere, I kind of have no choice

Last edited by Smooth_J; 04-02-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
After this mod, thats it for a long time.
lol, famous last words. I said that a set of wheels/tires, CF hood, driveshaft, and gears ago. I've hit the max though at this point. I want a short-throw maybe and some window tint, but we're talking about maybe $600 worth of stuff. I want the tint more than the short-throw. Its $250 I think. At this point I can't justify any more $ into the car for performance mods. The amount I have into it now is acceptable given the way it looks and performs, but if I sink a bunch more into it, I'd be better off just selling it and buying a GT500 instead. I don't want to cross that line.

How long are they gonna have your car? Its sounding like days worth of work. Also, I was under the impression you need a new driveshaft with that 6060...?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:43 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

So you are going forged now too?

I cant keep up with your modding. So much for the warranty huh? Lol

You cant use the GT-500 clutch and FW with a stock GT engine because the GT has a 6 bolt crank and the GT500 has an 8 bolt.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
lol, famous last words. I said that a set of wheels/tires, CF hood, driveshaft, and gears ago. I've hit the max though at this point. I want a short-throw maybe and some window tint, but we're talking about maybe $600 worth of stuff. I want the tint more than the short-throw. Its $250 I think. At this point I can't justify any more $ into the car for performance mods. The amount I have into it now is acceptable given the way it looks and performs, but if I sink a bunch more into it, I'd be better off just selling it and buying a GT500 instead. I don't want to cross that line.

How long are they gonna have your car? Its sounding like days worth of work. Also, I was under the impression you need a new driveshaft with that 6060...?
They will have the car for ~3 days.

Yes the kit comes with the following:

ncludes everything except clutch. Kit has transmission, transmission cross member, shifter with linkage (FRPP Short Shifter), shifter pins, and custom Steeda 1 piece aluminum driveshaft.
The only thing I added to it was the GT500 clutch/flywheel (recommended as per JDM).

Quick Reply: SC and stock trans