Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered my 4.10's!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by russje
www.buyfordracing.com

is the best price I've found $150 shipped, plus they take lower offers. This is one of Ford's main distributors for Ford Racing parts in Michigan.

I love my 4.10's, especially on the highway. Drop it into fourth, right in the power band, and watch the smile on your face grow and the cars get smaller in your mirror.
I kinda of miss the 3.55's for the highway. I like to drop it into 3rd and doing that at 70+ with 4.10s is pretty high up in the rpms. It's still doable and i've done it many times, but it makes for a really short 3rd gear. I've also run into a bit of a traction issue in 3rd lately.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I have to agree with moose. I miss the 3.55's on many occassions on the highway. Some goddamn soccer mom in her suv is always wanting to race you in the 60-70mph band and you're WELL into 5th gear at that time... just cruising. It really sounds like you're opening the car up to pass mrs. milf in her minivan when you're really not lol. I may put some 3.73's in the car one day. But the low rpm GRUNT that 4.10's give you can't be matched. The car just JUMPS out of the hole.

I figure the 4.10's keeps me honest. I don't like cruising over 70mph hence no speeding tickets.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 PM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

the ford racing website is selling for 150.00.

i may pull the trigger for 3.73.. need advice. (i drive a lot of highway)
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

also free shipping. brenspeed's selling for 175... is buyfordracing.com trustworthy. are they the real ford racing gears not the motive??
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
No friction modifier needed with RP, it already has it in it.

Which brand gears did you get? Ford racing right?

Are you installing them yourself or having someone install them for you?
A good friend of mine is a senior master mechanic for ford. I'm letting him tackle this one.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HoorayBeer
the ford racing website is selling for 150.00.

i may pull the trigger for 3.73.. need advice. (i drive a lot of highway)
I've had a good experience with them in past. I bought my first exhaust from them. FRPP stingers. Couldnt have had a better experience. I've heard mixed reviews though. No problem here. I would have bought from them but I like knowing that I have everything I need.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I kinda of miss the 3.55's for the highway. I like to drop it into 3rd and doing that at 70+ with 4.10s is pretty high up in the rpms. It's still doable and i've done it many times, but it makes for a really short 3rd gear. I've also run into a bit of a traction issue in 3rd lately.
Yeah I figured I may miss the 3.55s as well on the highway but I'm really not driving at 80+mph for extended amounts of time on a regular basis. I live right outside DC and we have some nasty traffic. Even outside the city your doing well if you can sustain 50mph for more than 5 minutes at a time. I know the summer cruises to the beach may aggravate me going 85 at 3000rpms or whatever it is. But at the same time I just think I spend enough time in city conditions that Its a good trade off. I mean my avg mpg after the tank is on E is generally about 14-16mpg. Sure I can reset it before I jump on the highway and see 24+mpg but its only about 25% of my driving if that. Thats partly why I bought the stang in the first place. German cars of my past were awsome on the highway but around town not as exciting. I wanted something that would be a blast from stop light to stop light.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'm loving my 4.10s.. gave them a several days to break in and tonight decided to get on it with TCS off.. man.. i lose traction at the end of first before even shifting in second.. bad enough that I have to let off..I'm guessing that also has something to do with the 42 degree weather here.. and the cmdps+udps upper end rpm HP gains..
Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I've debated this a lot and I think I'll go with 3.73's since I do a lot of 70+ high way driving. Since I'll be going from 3.31's it should be a good difference. 3.31s are a dog once O/D kicks in below 60. Though I usually turn it off once I go below 60.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I've gotta get the 3.31s outta there. I am hoping the 3.73s make a significant difference. I am doing a driveshaft at the same time, so I won't really know how much the gears did on their own. I got a good deal on the driveshaft though, and couldn't pass it up.

Quick Reply: Just ordered my 4.10's!!!!!