Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally stepped on my new 09 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 AM
lbballin9
3rd Gear Member

The nice thing about these cars, and most mustangs, is that they are built like tanks. At least compared to most cars. Instead of me writing so many times on this thread you can just pm me if you want.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 AM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

okay lol ill admit im new ( to 4.6L's and fuel injection) so theres alot of stuff i want to learn but im not gonna drive u nuts with lots of noob questions thats why im reading all the s197 threads i can
Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 AM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Hey man, congrats on the new car! I myself just got a new 08' 5-spd GT with 54 miles, now has 510 on the odo (300 mile trip to school, and I have been driving it just to drive it...not even getting on it, I just love being in it )

IMO, I know I am in the same boat as you, and really don't have any room to tell you what to do...But I would take it easy on it until you know your limits, but not by testing them...if that makes any sense?(I know how hard it is to not get on it all the time lol) IMO, I would take it easy for a little while for two reasons:

The manual says there is no break in period, as well as the dealership...But there are also quite a few who say to break the car in from anywhere to 500-2000 miles. IMO, if you plan on keeping this car for a looongg time and going way over 100k, than I would just break it in at least until 500mi; just to be on the safe side.

Like I mentioned above, these cars are powerful straight out of the box (again, I'm not trying to preach or anything like that) But IMO, I am gradually learning what she can do, heck I have not even floored it all the way; I'm just trying to learn slowly and be safe. I have learned the hard way(not w/ the stang) but my brother almost died in a four-wheeler accident 6 years ago, I hit a curb in the ole' 82 Mercedes going too fast when I was 16(the learner car for the family, a tank lol), friend crashing his brand new SRT-10 the day he got it, showing off to some girls(16k in damage) IMO, I have just seen TOO MANY accidents over the years with friends/family under estimating the power of whatever they are driving(ATV, car, motorcycles, whatever) and ended up in a crash that could be completely avoided. Again, I'm not trying to tell you what to do at all, I'm soo sorry if I come off like that, I don't mean too. imo, I would just forget about trying to race anything right now(and I know people are going to want to race you) but I would try to ignore them for a little while until you know all of your boundaries/limits with the car stock; and than move on too more power...I dunno, just don't want you to get hurt or anything, just be safe bro!

Gratz on the car man!!

EDIT: (I just read your post in my into thread, and thank you so much for the kind words!!) Now I feel like a pr!ck, as I just read over this again, and I sound like an azz...I have absolutely no room to speak... I mean all of this with the best intentions, for real...I hope you don't take it like I'm trying to talk down to you or anything, b/c I'm not at all, sorry man.

Gratz to the both of us!!! Aren't these cars insane ???

Cheers man!

Last edited by clentonz; 04-02-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

congrats man! these cars are such a blast to cut loose with...LOL... but i would suggest getting some more mileage on the odometer before heading to the track or doing any heavy beating on the car. you def want to break the motor in a little before subjecting it to heavy stress! some people say its not necessary, but it sure as hell doesnt hurt to put 1-2 K on the motor first for piece of mind! JMO. def get a CAI& tune...youll love it even more. good luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the ride..
Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clentonz
Hey man, congrats on the new car! I myself just got a new 08' 5-spd GT with 54 miles, now has 510 on the odo (300 mile trip to school, and I have been driving it just to drive it...not even getting on it, I just love being in it )

IMO, I know I am in the same boat as you, and really don't have any room to tell you what to do...But I would take it easy on it until you know your limits, but not by testing them...if that makes any sense?(I know how hard it is to not get on it all the time lol) IMO, I would take it easy for a little while for two reasons:

The manual says there is no break in period, as well as the dealership...But there are also quite a few who say to break the car in from anywhere to 500-2000 miles. IMO, if you plan on keeping this car for a looongg time and going way over 100k, than I would just break it in at least until 500mi; just to be on the safe side.

Like I mentioned above, these cars are powerful straight out of the box (again, I'm not trying to preach or anything like that) But IMO, I am gradually learning what she can do, heck I have not even floored it all the way; I'm just trying to learn slowly and be safe. I have learned the hard way(not w/ the stang) but my brother almost died in a four-wheeler accident 6 years ago, I hit a curb in the ole' 82 Mercedes going too fast when I was 16(the learner car for the family, a tank lol), friend crashing his brand new SRT-10 the day he got it, showing off to some girls(16k in damage) IMO, I have just seen TOO MANY accidents over the years with friends/family under estimating the power of whatever they are driving(ATV, car, motorcycles, whatever) and ended up in a crash that could be completely avoided. Again, I'm not trying to tell you what to do at all, I'm soo sorry if I come off like that, I don't mean too. imo, I would just forget about trying to race anything right now(and I know people are going to want to race you) but I would try to ignore them for a little while until you know all of your boundaries/limits with the car stock; and than move on too more power...I dunno, just don't want you to get hurt or anything, just be safe bro!

Gratz on the car man!!

EDIT: (I just read your post in my into thread, and thank you so much for the kind words!!) Now I feel like a pr!ck, as I just read over this again, and I sound like an azz...I have absolutely no room to speak... I mean all of this with the best intentions, for real...I hope you don't take it like I'm trying to talk down to you or anything, b/c I'm not at all, sorry man.

Gratz to the both of us!!! Aren't these cars insane ???

Cheers man!
its cool man congrats on ur stang what year is it? i came from my 83 mustang gt they would be a close race but ya im not beating on the car for a while lol i opened it up 2-3 times and im taking it easy to at least 500 miles lol i felt bad for getting on it( ya i know it weird) im definitely wanting a cai + tune and a cat back. im not gonna be at the track for a while because i work 9-6,7, or 8 monday-fri and 9-4 on saturdays so not much time to hit the track. what kinda quad did your brother have? i race mx im even sponsored im thinking about selling my bike and my 83 mustang gt so i can get some mods for the s197
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 AM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokestang
congrats man! these cars are such a blast to cut loose with...LOL... but i would suggest getting some more mileage on the odometer before heading to the track or doing any heavy beating on the car. you def want to break the motor in a little before subjecting it to heavy stress! some people say its not necessary, but it sure as hell doesnt hurt to put 1-2 K on the motor first for piece of mind! JMO. def get a CAI& tune...youll love it even more. good luck.
yeah im putting more miles on it lol piece of mind is priceless a blown motor isnt. they haul for stock im in love
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 AM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
Congrats on the ride..
thanks i like how yours looks lol i want one of the cervinis kits
Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Ditto on taking it a bit easy for a few hundred miles. Let all the moving parts wear in to each other and avoid local overheating (due to extra friction).

These cars are pretty damn quick for having only 281 cubic inches especially when you realize that they're pushing 3500 lbs around. Forty years ago in the heyday of "muscle cars" you'd have needed another 100 cubic inches or so to get the same performance out the showroom door.

If you can manage to stay out of WOT for a few days at a time, it'll keep on surprising you with the power it has.

Norm
Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yeah no kidding. I was reading an article yesterday about the 318 they put in the dart. It was a "grocery getter". Couldn't even hold a candle stock for stock vs. the little 281 they put in these cars.

Now mod the crap out of the 318? Might be a different story.

Quick Reply: Finally stepped on my new 09 GT