Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Go Mods or Show Mods..

Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

If you do a full suspension, LCA, UCA, PHB and brace, springs, shocks, strut mounts, sways, simple brake upgrade (ss lines, fluid, pads, brake ducts), then gears, 3.73 is nice for FI, alum DS, clutch and flywheel, and hood.

Your car will be completely transformed visually and from a performance standpoint. All that suspension and drivetrain upgrades will put more power to the ground and in a more controlled manner. Your car will be faster and you haven't even added a power specific mod.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

I say switch it up. Really the only reason i would recommend a new hood is that the stocker is like a oven. Especially since your already blown, this will actually be a partial performance mod, but also make your car look great as well. Lowered temps are always a plus.

Mabye someone with a blower and aftermarket hood could chime in on how much temps should be expected to drop, and especially with a whipple it should help a good bit.

As for what hood, i heard cervini's now offers pre-painted stuff that looks fantastic. So if you don't have someone you trust for the painting of the hood, or have yet to look into getting it painted, the cervini's might be good to look into.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I did my show mods first and I'm glad I did. I enjoy it every time I see the car. At least once every week or two some stranger makes a comment about it.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I went with the go first and then the show. Most of my show is under the hood and some chrome accent on the interior. The only body mods is the 1/4 windows scoops, lowering it and wheels.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Here's a unique look at the Trufiber GTS-III hood with a thermal imaging camera that I think pretty well sums up the value of having a vented hood on a FI car...

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=479376
Old 04-02-2009, 02:10 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

I vote hood aswell, I think with the adition of a hood it adds tons to the exterior of the car even without other show mods, its just kinda one of the main external pieces on the car that dramatically give u that not stock look.

and on the heat extracting note its a huge diff even without seen that thermal imager, when I have had on my underside vents even the temps soar inside the engine bay compared to when they are off. I live in fla and I pop my hood alot when I get home just cause......but when I had the stock hood I honestly would almost have to back away or get my face burned after a good ride when opening it, now its not so bad at all, still hot ofcourse but not burn ya face like your opening the oven. Guess it can depend on where you live but I feel alot better driving my car now getting alot of that heat out, obviously its ok cause ford made them from factory but I dunno its the same feeling I had when I had the stock air bock in place I felt liek somebody was strangling my car not letting it breathe.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:49 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Wow, those thermal images may have swung my decision but that is not the style of hood that I want, Although it is a very nice hood.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thats a tough question.... I went "show" first and a yr later "go"......I am really only doing "go" mods from this point on but many can argue that I dont need anymore "show" mods unless they are in the engine bay or interior. You can change or swap out everything on these cars. Has always been that way with the mustang.....regardless of what you decide it will fit into your envision of the mustang and just wait until you can get the next piece in the puzzle of what you envision the mustang as when "done"....but are we ever done?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

i have went back and forth... leaning towards the performance and suspension side lately..
Old 04-02-2009, 06:03 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ato View Post
I tend to rotate power, handling, looks. I did a CAI/tune then suspension lately so I think the next thing is a new lip, after I do that it will be back to power I think.
I had a hard time balancing like this at first, $12k in motor, $1k in the looks, but I'm catching up slowly but surely!

To the OP, suspension work would be the BEST bang for your buck if you think you want more power. You can't even use what you've got until it's FIRMLY planted to the ground. After the suspension work, then do a little show before you go back to go if your so inclined!