Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go Mods or Show Mods..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:11 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Default Go Mods or Show Mods..

Don't you wish you could have both? As of late I've been torn in between Go Mods and Show mods. My last go mod was going FI, which I have really enjoyed, thank you Mr. Whipple. Sure its alot of fun but at some point 465 horses just aint enough, LOL!

My last show mod was painted valve covers, catch can, and some braided lines. I do plan on a built motor and really pushing my blower but thats going to have to wait until next winter.

Anyway, I just ordered some new stuff, I'll post later. I want more power but I also want to change the look of my car. I'm torn right now and dont know which way to go.

I'm thinking of a a new hood but cant decide on which one, my choices, are Corba R Crowl hood W/O the rids, Cervini Crowl hood, or the Tru-fiber Crowl hood. hey, at least I know that type of hood I want just dont know which one.

The other option is some suspension stuff. I'm thinking LCA, watts link, or torque limiter. My last option is a clutch but this is going to be replaced one way or another.

I have also thought about getting new rears, thinking of polished 3:73's?

current mods, whipple HO, JBA shorty headers, X pipe with stock cats, boomtubes, news tires, tinted windows, tinted rear tail lights, side markers, smoked front markers, Hurst STS, and a few other things, gauges on order.

Tell me what you got! Give me some ideas.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Well I had a similar post a while back.

I decided for more go mods. Basically the reason is I get more enjoyment out of driving my car than looking at it.

Personally if I had your mods, I would get:

Suspension:
LCA's
UCA
Panhard
Torque limiters

Driveline:
Clutch & FW
Alum D/S
Tru Trac
Gears - 3.73 or 4.10 (my vote is 4.10)

Then start saving for a build shortblock.

Someday I want to do some stuff to the exterior, but since I plan on keeping my car for the rest of my life I figure i will wait till it needs a paint job. My car is a DD and everytime I look at the rock chips I push off any exterior mod. I would hate to get a new hood, bumper etc, just to have them pelted with rocks everyday. Exterior will wait. Go fast now.

Here is my run down of my mods and a few yet to be done, but these will complete Stage 1 mods. Stage 1 is the mods for a fun DD that is reliable. Stage 2 starts after the car is paid off. Stage 2 is bigger

MODS
Engine:
Whipple HO
Catch Can setup
VMP Dyno Tune
Hot Rod Cams or similair (Will be installed after car is payed off)

Exhaust:
Pypes O/R H
Hedman Hedders 18" resonators
Pypes Violator axleback

Drivetrain:
Mcleod RST Clutch
Mcleod Biller Steel FW
MGW Shifter
Alum D/S (soon to be ordered)
Tru Trac (to be ordered)
4.10 gears (to be ordered)

Wheels:
Incoming

Exterior:
New Grille (soon)
New rear spoiler (soon)
Modified GT 500 chin spoiler (soon)

Also on a side note my favorite cowl rise hood is the Steeda one.

Good Luck.

It is better to be good, than look good.

I cant wait to destroy the first Camaro SS I find.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

I got lucky and bought my car with all the Show Mods so the only things I have spent money on are GO Mods. I want to dress up the engine bay though.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 AM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

i hate how stock my car looks lol even with the stock bullitts and scoop. you guys got any suggestions on cheap ways to look alot better?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I tend to rotate power, handling, looks. I did a CAI/tune then suspension lately so I think the next thing is a new lip, after I do that it will be back to power I think.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like your car is already fast as hell... I vote to make it look fast as hell now! Get the new hood bro, you wont be disapointed! Maybe some side or 1/4 window scoops. My car is pretty much stock (performance wise) but when I get it back next week with my new hood, chin spoiler, ductail, etc... it will look fast! LOL! Good luck on whatever you decide! Remember the old saying... "chrome wont get ya home, but it might get ya laid"
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

first of all, your car looks great and has awesome power....second, I like your idea of replacing the hood and I think it'll really add to the over all look of your car.

I think a 2"-2.5" cowl would look awesome, without being too much.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

IMHO, I go for more performance then looks. However I want my car to be a sleeper - looks stock and crappy on the outside, but on the inside - better watch out
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Both. As much as I enjoy making my car quicker, I also love when people admire it and give me "the nod" or a thumbs up.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Looks like you have a good start to the go mods under the hood, so I would recommend some rear suspension upgrades next to help keep all the HP under control

Quick Reply: Go Mods or Show Mods..